• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How the times change..

Gerudo Dragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Volgotha
Switch FC
SW-1262-5343-6339
Link to original post: [drupal=800]How the times change..[/drupal]

Back when I used to come to these boards, (I've been here since 2001.. wow.. ) this place was alot smaller than what it is now. That is to say, it never was just a board with only 500 members, of which about 100 actively committed to the boards. or at least, it wasn't when I joined. I remember it was always bustling with people, and the post counts and views were always in the 4 digits.. I guess I really don't know what I hope to acomplish with this blog, I suppose I'm just feeling very nostalgic, and sorta sad..

When I first started going here, as I said in 2001, I was 13 years old and I had just gotten my first computer. I still remember the horrible dial-up.. these forums.. I forgot how I even came across them to be honest. I remember though when I first started going online, I didn't get MSN or AIM or anything.. and then I met my first online buddy. His username was Yoshi, his real name is Geoff. Through him, I got to know such members as Link777, DemonShadow, EvilEvilBowser, RikkuViviReona, GeniusLink, and a whole bunch more.. Then we migrated to a new board, and I started writting a fanfic with a good friend.. I guess I'm just being silly. It's 3:42am right now, and I'm getting all nostalgic on a forum where people don't have a clue who I am..

I guess what I want to say is.. if you're really young, aroud the age I was when I first started comming here, and you have a select few good online buddies, try hard not to forget them, and enjoy the time you have here while you can. Highschool may suck *** right now, and your life probably does too, but things can always be alot worse..

You could be some wierdo, sitting in her room at 4am, remmenissing on her merry old days at an old forum she used to go on, wondering how her crazy old gang of online buddies are doing ever since she lost contact with them..

Gerudo Dragon...

That was my staple. Over the years I've changed characters, stories, e-mails, aim screen names.. but the username I have here is the one thing I would never change.. its the last statement that exists anywhere on the world wide web today that chronicles a time that has long past by..

M15t3R E

Smash Master
You miss the old SWF?
It's the most amazing forums I've ever joined, that's for sure. Lots of noobs here, but also an abundance of great minds posting daily.
It makes me wish I joined here earlier. I've been playing smash since 64, been to several melee tourneys, and quite a few brawl tourneys and biweeklies.
I feel like if I had a join date like yours, people might take me more seriously.
This is such a great place. What could be better than conversing with others about a great interest of yours and possibly seeing them in future tournaments?

And yeah, I'm some weirdo posting at 4 a.m. I don't have anything planned til tomorrow afternoon so it's all good.
I'm addicted to these forums. :p

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
That's pretty amazing.

I still get contacted by people from other forums that recognize me here, wanting to catch up, tell me about other people I remember and how they're going.

I get nostalgic sometimes when it comes to smash and go back to watch the finals set between Ken and Bomb-Soldier at JGT2, and remember how he used to be the coolest kid on the block. People talking about how he was only fourteen when he nearly beat Ken, and I, at the time was 14 as well, and was pretty inspired by it.

It's good to know that in 4, 5, 6 years time I'll be able to come back to this forum and watch it evolve and grow.

Mith_

Smash Champion
I had the exact same thing happen to me with the pojo.biz forums. Some people remembered me, others didn't. My friends who I had more posts than had 20,000+ posts when I returned lol.

Gerudo Dragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Volgotha
Switch FC
SW-1262-5343-6339
That's pretty amazing.

I still get contacted by people from other forums that recognize me here, wanting to catch up, tell me about other people I remember and how they're going.

I get nostalgic sometimes when it comes to smash and go back to watch the finals set between Ken and Bomb-Soldier at JGT2, and remember how he used to be the coolest kid on the block. People talking about how he was only fourteen when he nearly beat Ken, and I, at the time was 14 as well, and was pretty inspired by it.

It's good to know that in 4, 5, 6 years time I'll be able to come back to this forum and watch it evolve and grow.
Who's Bomb-Soldier and Ken? Are they members of these forums? I haven't been here in ages, I think I'm actually going to come back here now everyday to battle. My wii number's up and so's my brawl friend code. if those two are from these forums then times have change, I never knew the tournaments that go on here are recorded somehow..

XD I better get cracking.. as soon as I finish this ****ed art project.. it's sapping all my time. Ive been looking for people to play against in varous Wii games. This place was my online home years ago.. it's funny how it's becoming that again..

I'm probably one of the oldest members here who still comes on.. :snes:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Ah...first I have to give my respect for you not deciding to troll the forums just because you never go here and haven't been around for a while.

Anyway, I wish I was older--at first glance I'm like all the other '08 n00bs who don't know a thing they are talking about. If I was just a little bit older, I could of joined these forums earlier...Q.Q
All I can do now though is hope that in say, oh...6 years, I'll be a 'veteran' to these forums, having to go through the same things the current 'veterans' go through. It's quite an exciting thought actually. xD

Theres only one thing I can relate to with this topic by the way, and that's MPH. (Metroid Prime Hunters) For those that don't know, you can text and use the DS's mic on that game with friends you have traded FC's with, but there's a HUGE loophole where you can easily go through a 10 minute process to add complete strangers. And I mean complete strangers. I used it since it came out, and now 2 years later it's basically just groups of close friends that have met on there that just talk and fool around. It's pretty fun. =P

So I guess welcome back, and I hope you find new friends on here once again.

Gerudo Dragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Volgotha
Switch FC
SW-1262-5343-6339
Thanks! ^ ^

Um, I have one noob-ish question, what does "trolling around the forums" mean? Is it just a term taht means bumming around like an ******* spamming? becuase if so, i'bve never spammed a day in my life.. I preffer to be a level-headed contributer.. since unfourtunatly in today's newer forums you don't see very many of those..

But I'm happy to see that most of the 08 Newbs" as you call them, are polite.. much more polite and mature than the noobs I remember back in my day here..

and I never would've guessed that my join date would earn me so much respect here to new people like yourselves. It's reffreshing, despite my horribly low post count. But I am going to start coming back here. I'm not sure if Ill return every day, but seeing as how it's the holiday season, and with me being in college, the semester ends in a week and I get month off before school starts up again in January. ^ ^

Now.. to reply to that CG DDD thread I saw reguarding it's bannishment..

Gerudo Dragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Volgotha
Switch FC
SW-1262-5343-6339
>_> Well thanks for that bit of info! I'll go check-em out right now, maybe I know some of them..

Top Bottom