• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Smash Bros. Amiibos work

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
Well then, that must mean the 3DS version simply has Peach with a black hole for the sake of processing purposes.

Dammit, I'm gonna have to go buy a Wii U now.

I hope you realize I'm actually joking

Last edited:

Gwoop

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gwoopington
3DS FC
5455-9855-7285
I'm hoping to get Peach, Villager or Mario first. I want to collect them all but they're definitely my top three from the ones shown so far. Here's hoping the next wave has Luigi.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well then, that must mean the 3DS version simply has Peach with a black hole for the sake of processing purposes.

Dammit, I'm gonna have to go buy a Wii U now.

I hope you realize I'm actually joking
I don't understand the joke

Rohalina

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rohan21
3DS FC
4854-6423-3624
I'll be getting Wii Fit Trainer on launch, and if released, Rosalina, Shulk, R.O.B, Captain Falcon, Greninja and Duck Hunt Dog. Possibly Peach and Toon Link, but not sure.

Last edited:

♫ Zura ♫

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KatsuraRapYo
3DS FC
4914-3426-2583
Ill probably end up buying all of them. The figurines are beautiful and I'm a sucker for collecting stuff like this.

The one on launch that ill be purchasing would be Link

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
I don't understand the joke
It means that the Wii U version will likely have an "uncensored" version of Peach's undergarments due to it being able to handle the extra polygons. (The 3DS version simply has a black hole under her dress, instead.)

I'm implying that I want to buy a Wii U and the HD version of the game just to see the panties.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer

It means that the Wii U version will likely have an "uncensored" version of Peach's undergarments due to it being able to handle the extra polygons. (The 3DS version simply has a black hole under her dress, instead.)

I'm implying that I want to buy a Wii U and the HD version of the game just to see the panties.
Just imagine what the XBOX ONE can see ;)

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
The one on launch that ill be purchasing would be Link[/quote]
The one on launch that ill be purchasing would be Link
Good luck getting any on launch. I bet they're gonna sell out pretty fast if you didn't preorder it. You might have to wait a couple weeks past launch if you wait.

Last edited:

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
If I decide to ever get an Amiibo at all, it'll be the Samus one. Probably not, though. These things can get you to waste your money like nobody's business.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
If I decide to ever get an Amiibo at all, it'll be the Samus one. Probably not, though. These things can get you to waste your money like nobody's business.
They're only 12 bucks and add a huge extra dynamic to the game.

LinkNIvy

Smash Apprentice
Samus cause I really like Metroid but am garbage with the way she plays :p

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ah, i see what you're saying but people got the "You unlocked every character, now the real fight begins"
In that case I'm much less likely to believe there are any secret characters. Sure maybe with DLC, but not nothing that's not already known.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Probably none, I am not really into figurines.
On one hand, I'm like why the heck would you even bother coming into this thread. But on the other hand, you did answer my question so there is that.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Uh. Might want to check the ol' character roster there.
I've been avoiding it because I don't want it to be spoiled for me.

But on the other hand, I sorta figured I knew who was all in it without even looking.

Fishbowl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Fishbowl22
I am confidentally going to say that I don't plan on getting an amiibo until I see how it works. So far, looks like a gimmick to get more money out of smash fans.

Figurine collectors must be having an awesome time, though

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
I am confidentally going to say that I don't plan on getting an amiibo until I see how it works. So far, looks like a gimmick to get more money out of smash fans.

Figurine collectors must be having an awesome time, though
I know sometimes people skim threads without really reading, but I do go into how they work in the first post if you're interested

Fishbowl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Fishbowl22
I know sometimes people skim threads without really reading, but I do go into how they work in the first post if you're interested
Oh I assure you, I have read through the whole thread.
I just don't feel comfortable putting stock into a product that may be sort of crappy.
Maybe the AI will suck (lv. 50? What does that even mean, really?), or maybe the method of training them will be monotonous or unfun...
Fact is, I'm not excited about this whole thing. It could be cool, yes, but really I'm just on defense mode because when Nintendo makes a move like this we should all be careful and vigilant. By all means, buy the amiibos if you find that they'll benefit you, but also be careful that you're not being extorted by Nintendo.

I'm for sure going to buy the Wii U game when it comes out, might pick up an amiibo a couple weeks later based on some community impressions.

LinkNIvy

Smash Apprentice
I think there were new Amiibos shown in the Canada Smash Club or w/e video. There was a Zero Suit Samus statue with a similar base, but it might have been too big to be an actual Amiibo

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Well, since Sakurai said all playable characters in Smash will be getting Amiibos...

I'll probably start with Robin, depending on when it's released. If I think it's worth the $12 (Which I actually think is rather expensive) then I'll probably get a few more depending on who I end up enjoying in game.

I've been cheated out of an Ivysaur amiibo

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, since Sakurai said all playable characters in Smash will be getting Amiibos...

I'll probably start with Robin, depending on when it's released. If I think it's worth the $12 (Which I actually think is rather expensive) then I'll probably get a few more depending on who I end up enjoying in game.

I've been cheated out of an Ivysaur amiibo
Really? Most figurines cost at least that much and they don't even have NFC capabilities.

My first thought when seeing the price is how inexpensive they were. I figured people would be willing to drop $20 at least, like they are with most peripherals.

BunnyBoy1337

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3265-5888-7478
"In addition to Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, a variety of other games will offer amiibo compatibility. How they interact will vary from game to game."

That's taken from the Nintendo website together with their information on the first batch of Amiibo figurines. It would be strange to announce this only to tell everyone on a later date that you won't be able to use the 12 figurines launching in a couple of months for these other games, don't you think?
I think they meant that Amiibos for other games will interact with their own games differently than a Smash Amiibo would with Smash...

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Really? Most figurines cost at least that much and they don't even have NFC capabilities.

My first thought when seeing the price is how inexpensive they were. I figured people would be willing to drop $20 at least, like they are with most peripherals.
I'm honestly thinking of it as a whole. If you wanted to get the full experience of the game you'd pretty much have to grab all of them, especially if you're in the tourney scene and want to train against increasingly intelligent AI for every character you might come up against. In this case, you're spending almost $600 on figurines to be better at the game. More if there's DLC. Plus, well, the cost of DLC.

I'm glad I'm not a tourney player/that invested in knowing how to best every character because otherwise, Smash 4 is a very expensive game. Many people (myself included) bought a Wii U primarily for the game.. Some with the 3DS as well. Plus you buy both games. Plus the potential DLC. And the amiibos add up to roughly the same amount if not more than everything else combined. I find it a bit expensive... And don't get me wrong. Skylanders and Infinity etc also are expensive, but just because one thing is doesn't mean the other needs to be.

ReddFloxy

Smash Apprentice
I think they meant that Amiibos for other games will interact with their own games differently than a Smash Amiibo would with Smash...
I genuinely hope that's not the case :/ it would take a lot of the fun out of these for me at least knowing they would be very limited in use.
For smash they can be quite useful with the whole lvl 50 thing and training them, but honestly for games like Yoshi's Wooly World, I don't see how they would justify the pricetag on something they would be able to do.

the8thark

Smash Lord
"In addition to Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, a variety of other games will offer amiibo compatibility. How they interact will vary from game to game."

That's taken from the Nintendo website together with their information on the first batch of Amiibo figurines. It would be strange to announce this only to tell everyone on a later date that you won't be able to use the 12 figurines launching in a couple of months for these other games, don't you think?
This does not say the same Amiibo will work with other games. Nintendo just said other games will have the Amiibo experience also. No mention if the new games will use the same or different Amiibo figures.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm honestly thinking of it as a whole. If you wanted to get the full experience of the game you'd pretty much have to grab all of them, especially if you're in the tourney scene and want to train against increasingly intelligent AI for every character you might come up against. In this case, you're spending almost $600 on figurines to be better at the game. More if there's DLC. Plus, well, the cost of DLC.

I'm glad I'm not a tourney player/that invested in knowing how to best every character because otherwise, Smash 4 is a very expensive game. Many people (myself included) bought a Wii U primarily for the game.. Some with the 3DS as well. Plus you buy both games. Plus the potential DLC. And the amiibos add up to roughly the same amount if not more than everything else combined. I find it a bit expensive... And don't get me wrong. Skylanders and Infinity etc also are expensive, but just because one thing is doesn't mean the other needs to be.
Yeah, see the thing is you don't need to buy them all. You can buy 1 and have plenty of fun with it without needing the whole set.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Yeah, see the thing is you don't need to buy them all. You can buy 1 and have plenty of fun with it without needing the whole set.
Well sure- That's why I intend on buying Robin first. To see if I think that the $12 is worth it for what I'm getting out of it. I'm not speaking necessarily of the casual player, I'm referring more to the competitive players who need to have the edge that amiibo would grant to them... in those cases, if you're heavily into that scene, it would really behoove you to have all of them. And seeing as how amiibo is generally just a glorified training device (I see them being more for the competitive scene than not), it makes sense. I honestly would have used Amiibo in a different way altogether, but that's just me..

K-45

Smash Journeyman
As of right now I would only buy samus. Fighters I'm W8ing to come out it is Megaman, Metaknight, R.O.B, Bowser, and Bowser.jr.
Ridley if he's ever playable

I will admit sucker for these kind of things and might be tempted to buy everyone sooner or later. Up above is the top 5 ik I'm going to buy.

I will also buy some of the higher teir amibos just for training reasons. Once tears are made that is.

Last edited:

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well sure- That's why I intend on buying Robin first. To see if I think that the $12 is worth it for what I'm getting out of it. I'm not speaking necessarily of the casual player, I'm referring more to the competitive players who need to have the edge that amiibo would grant to them... in those cases, if you're heavily into that scene, it would really behoove you to have all of them. And seeing as how amiibo is generally just a glorified training device (I see them being more for the competitive scene than not), it makes sense. I honestly would have used Amiibo in a different way altogether, but that's just me..
I bet if you saw what goes into the manufacture of these things, you wouldn't think $12 is a lot.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I bet if you saw what goes into the manufacture of these things, you wouldn't think $12 is a lot.
This is very likely true as well. I just don't think it's worth it for what it provides to me, personally. I could see other people feeling like it's worth it for sure. And it's true that the figures themselves are cool for collectors, inexpensive in this mindset.

Top Bottom