• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How often do you still use your first main(s)?

ShadowLBlue

Smash Apprentice
For everyone whose first game isn't smash 4, how often do you still use your original main (or mains)?

My first main was Kirby in 64, with Mario, Luigi and Link coming in second. Kirby was one of my best and favorite characters in the first 2. I stopped using him as much in Brawl but he was still someone I could use for hard difficulties or fights when no one else would work. However in the current game, in addition to just liking other characters more, I don't like the changes they've made to him.

Mario got dropped pretty quick in Melee but I've started using him more in Smash 4, partially because I like his customs.

Luigi's situation is pretty much the same as Kirby, except I like him even less in Smash 4 than Kirby.

Link became my main in Melee thanks to his many buffs, but I dropped him for Toon Link in Brawl because I felt he was made too and had his recovery made terrible again. He pretty much got dropped from my rotation. Thankfully he was buffed for Smash 4 and is fun to use again.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
Luigi was my main as a kid. I don't use him very much. But Falcon was one of my secondaries that ascended to be my main. So I've always played him.

Still play some Luigi. He's great.

Puff is brand new. Never was a secondary in any previous game for me.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
According to stats I play Link 3% of the time.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
My original Melee main was Ganondorf, I didn't enjoy him as much in Brawl but I do enjoy him in Sm4sh.

I used two characters about the same in Brawl; Ness and Falco. While I still use Ness from time to time, I don't use Falco anymore.

MrBond

Smash Cadet
Mained Captain Falcon in Smash64 and Melee. My main in Brawl was Mr. Game and Watch (lol). But in Smash 4 3DS and Wii U my main is Captain Falcon again.

KRBAY

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SSBBSonic
3DS FC
0774-4477-0228
:4kirby: and :4ness: are still going strong since 64. However, they were accompanied by :marth: in Brawl, and :4peach: and :4yoshi: here in Smash 4.

In Melee, I didn't have a proper main. I mostly stick to :foxmelee:, :falcomelee:, :marthmelee:, :peachmelee:, :younglinkmelee:, :kirbymelee:, and :nessmelee:.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
:mario64::mariomelee::mario2::4mario:- Will always be one of my mains, even if he ever winds up being the worst character in a Smash game for whatever reason.

:yoshi64:- Pretty much haven't touched him since his grand crapification in Melee. Even though he's actually decent now, his playstyle no longer appeals to me.

:fox64::foxmelee::fox::4fox:- Was one of my mains in the original and Melee and has been sort of an awkward secondary every since. I largely hold onto the character because, deep down, Star Fox is still one of my favorite Nintendo franchises.

:nessmelee::ness2::4ness:- To tell you the truth, I picked up Ness in Melee after I learned how good Fox, Sheik, and Marth were in Melee because I didn't want to be one of "those" players. Ever since, I've stuck with Ness just because his playstyle fits mine.

:marthmelee:- Was one of my mains in Melee until I found out everyone and their grandma mained him.

:sheikmelee:- See above.

:icsmelee::popo:- *cries profusely*

:lucario:- A character I really looked forward to but wound up hating his playstyle. I probably dropped him within a month of picking up Brawl.

:wario::4wario:- Was one of my favorite newcomers in Brawl and I'm currently holding onto him as a secondary, despite his overall potential taking a massive hit in this game. I'm still optimistic that there will be some sort of turnaround for the character.

:dedede::4dedede:- Another secondary I'm holding onto for old time's sake. The D isn't what he used to be but he's still one of my favorite Nintendo characters.

:ike::4myfriends:- A character I absolutely hated at first but became one of my favorites as the years progressed. A secondary for both games he's in.

D

Deleted member

R.O.B. is my second most used character. It's kind of funny though, because I didn't think I'd use him that much if at all.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Fox was my first main (Melee). I really shouldn't say main as I didn't play competitively at all and he was just my favorite character. Now he's like my 10th most used or something around there as there are so many more move-sets I enjoy more. :/

Last edited:

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
:yoshi64: near, far, wherever you are, I will main Yoshi till the end of time.
:pikachu64::kirby64::jigglypuff64: Used them, but dropped Pikachu and Kirby in Melee, and Jiggly in Brawl.
:falcomelee::nessmelee::falconmelee: :gawmelee:Continue to use these guys.
:peachmelee: Dropped her in Brawl. Did not like playing as her at all there.
:icsmelee: Used until Smash 4. Dropped for obvious reasons. (Hint: not playable anymore)
:pichumelee: Same.
:olimar::rob: I liked them in Brawl, but Olimar's loss of pikmin in Brawl made him less fun. I lost interest in Rob.
:zerosuitsamus:continue to use
:snake: do I need to explain?

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
:ness64::nessmelee::ness2::4ness: - I used Ness in every Smash Bros. He was a bit hard to adapt to in the beginning of Melee after all the nerfs he got that gimped him, but I used him anyway.

:link64::linkmelee::link2::4link: - Someone I've just always used, just like Ness.

:luigi64::luigimelee::4luigi: - I loved his early play-style, and I like it better today as well, but wasn't a fan of him in Brawl for some reason.

:4fox: and :4falcon: - I've used them off and on over the years.

:olimar: - Really liked him in Brawl, but I am immensely disappointed with him in Sm4sh.

:snake: - Well, it's a bit self-explanatory, isn't it?

Last edited:

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
I have been playing as :4link: since he was :link64:. When Brawl came out I started playing :ike: as my secondary, who evolved into my main for Smash 4. :ike: always felt like he was missing something in Brawl, but with the changes to him now :4myfriends: is much more my play style than :4link: is. I still pull :4link: out for fun though. I'm curious if I could be decent with him in For Glory now.

ME GRIMLOCH

Smash Cadet
NNID
MeGrimloch
I've only been around since brawl but :bowser2: this guy was my main man in brawl and I would use him in sm4sh but hes just not the same I'm trying to learn him its just so weird to play him now. :olimar: Olimar is another character I dropped because of his weird new playstyle.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I used Luigi Zelda and ROB in Brawl, and still use them in Smash 4, except Zelda.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
I loved Ness in 64 and Melee. Didn't like him much in brawl (plus Lucas was better...). Haven't decided on him in Sm4sh.

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
This is how my mains look, chronologically.
(It's ordered from most used to least used, starting from the top.)

:yoshi64: . . . :mario64: . . . :ness64: . . . :nessmelee: . . . :ness2: . . . :4ness:
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :kirbymelee: . . . :ike: . . . :4myfriends:
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :pikachumelee: . . . :pikachu2: . . . :4miisword:
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :kirby2: . . . :4robinm:
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :4pikachu:
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :4villager:
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :4kirby:

JSG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JustinJSG
I started very young with Melee, and I honestly can't remember the first character I considered my "main." If anything, it was Kirby who happened to be the most used. I ended up maining Kirby in Brawl afterwards, but now in Smash 4, I have moved on to other characters that I happen to enjoy more.

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
I used to play a bit of :lucario: before just playing random people in brawl. I wouldn't call him a main but I liked using him. My first actual main was :zelda: (Don't care how low tier) and I use her a bit in 4. Though, now I use :rosalina: and :4marth:/:4lucina: more.

Small Waves

Smash Cadet
Kirby if I'm hoping for someone to go LM, but I don't think that really counts as playing so much as being a huge jerk.

G&W practically never now.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Young Link sure is garbage in Smash4. His head is like, 60% of his body.

Marakatu

Smash Ace
Well, Fox was my main in Smash 64 and Brawl.
But for some reason, I can't recover while playing as him in Smash 4. He falls WAY too fast, and this is very dangerous in some stages.
Now I play as Samus. She was my second main in Smash 64, and she feels much better in Smash 4.

Ferblantier

Smash Apprentice
Pretty sure my very first main was Kirby back in Melee. Picked him back up recently, though I try to play better than just stone-spamming. (I will always "HI!" spam, though. You'll never stop me.)

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
With the exception of Smash 4 and the few times I've played PM, Mario's always remained my first main. However I still use Mario in Smash 4 as a secondary alongside several others (still undecided on a final secondary list) to complement my main :4shulk:.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
From the beginning, :4link: has always been one of my mains and still is. :4falcon: was one of my mains in Smash 64 but secondaries in Brawl and Smash 4. :4mario: was one of my mains in Smash 64 and one of my secondaries in Brawl but never used him at all in Smash 4 since I now have :rosalina:, who will be the only Mario rep I'll ever play as and my true main.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
:sonic::kirby2: were my Brawl mains, but I don't like Sonic anymore. He is TOO fast and uncontrollable, at least I felt like I made a difference in Brawl. Kirby is my main right now, no matter how much I switch between him and Meta Knight, who I didn't play often in Brawl.

I played Brawl 2 weeks ago and changed my main to Pokemon Trainer, but thats a new main.

Last edited:

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
Duck Hunt has been my main since the launch of the 3DS version and it will always be Duck Hunt. I feel like if you put time and effort into any character in the 3DS and WiiU versions specifically, you will be great

Matoi Knight

Smash Apprentice
NNID
katarina-hatsune
3DS FC
5215-0514-7118
Officially started in Brawl. As far as I know Pikachu and Sonic were my biggest mains back then. I don't really use them as much compared to now since I main Robin, Lucina and Greninja. However I do play as Pikachu only to train my amiibo.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
My main has been Yoshi since 64. In melee, Doc stuck out to me more and wasn't as difficult to play with consistently as compared to yoshi. Same story for PM.

Thankfully in brawl, Yoshi was more playable and despite being low tier for eternity, I continued to rep him in tournaments. Although I picked up olimar as a secondary, yoshi still was my go to.

In smash 4 yoshi mains have finally been blessed with such a monster now. I guess I'd gladly consider Doc my secondary albeit he got hit hard with the nerf bat. I'll stick with them both through thick and thin.

KEWB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KEWB99
3DS FC
4511-0666-0442
If you want to go waaaay back to when I was a kid, I really just played as whoever. I did start to gravitate towards Kirby early on, but I still used pretty much anybody at the time. Samus was the first I really sort of started sticking to, though I did still use others from time to time. Not sure which of the two I would consider to be my first true main, but I almost never use Kirby anymore aside from rare occasions mostly for nostalgia purposes. Samus is still a very solid secondary for me though.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I keep in practice with past mains. Makes it hard to pick new ones each game, as I bring in most of my past skill on other characters. It's hard to fight better on Robin when I've only been playing him for three months, compared to playing Marth and Captain Falcon for more than half my life.

Cheezy23

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cheezy23
Well, when I unlocked Toon Link in Brawl, he became my best character. Now...not so much.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
In Melee I would always use :falcomelee: and :mariomelee: for serious matches, and :bowsermelee: and :falconmelee: for fun.
I still can't play Melee that well but after seeing Bizarro Flame I really wanted to try out :ganondorfmelee: instead.

In Brawl I started with :falco: and :metaknight: (this was before learning about the tier lists)
But after my friend constantly kicked my ass with :ike: (noob killer) I started to genuinely practice with :dedede: and focused on my Falco to kick his ass in return. I dropped meta knight cuz everybody abused his tornado...

Project M was different.:mewtwopm:was on top of my list. I still try to use him, as well as :mario2:, :4falco:, :falcon:, and :bowser2:. But after 3.5 and seeing some crazy PM tourney matches I wanted to try :ganondorf:, :wolf:, and :luigi2:for fun.

Smash 4 is still young, so my original mains (:4falcon::4bowserjr::4bowser::4sonic:, and :4myfriends:for laggy online matches) are still being used.
But due to all of his nerfs I've ditched :4falco: :( Feels way to different this time...

pershona

Smash Journeyman
Started with Brawl mained:marth:, still use him a lot in Smash 4 despite the nerfs.
Now i play more Melee instead where i main :sheikmelee: and:foxmelee:, still main Sheik in Smash 4 and Fox is one of my most used secondaries.

DougX

Smash Champion
My Super Secret Underwater Volcano Lair in Space
NNID
Luigirasendori
3DS FC
0877-2652-6033
Ever since I was a little boy, I always used Luigi:4luigi: the most in Smash Bros. He's always been my favorite to use and I don't think that will ever change as he's always been kept pretty consistent, albeit having a few changes throughout the games that were for better or worse (WAI CYCLONE HEIGHT WAAAAAAAAAI?). He's also what I consider to be my best played character as a result of this and some general results.
I've always kept Mario:4mario: as a secondary in all of the games due to his similarities to Luigi, but some other perks he has that may be useful in certain battles or just as a simple back-up. Melee had Dr. Mario:4drmario: for me as well due to his similar traits, but slightly better boons, compared to Mario, though I just can't really play him as good as Mario in Smash 4 (or himself in Melee) due to his nerfs and overall style change.
Melee also introduced me to the boy himself, Roy:roypm:, who I came to adore despite some noticeable flaws he had. Luckily, Project M fixed that. I hope he can come back as DLC so I can pick him back up for Smash 4. I also don't mind Marth:4marth: as he's pretty neat and works as a sort of tertiary character in Brawl for me and a random fun character for Smash 4.
Brawl introduced the main man himself, Wario:4wario2:, to the series who became another secondary due to just being outright fun to use and a great overall character on top of also being outright hilarious. He's just as good and fun in Smash 4, but I lost my favorite costume he had in Brawl (the white and blue plumber outfit) on the sadder side.
I also added Dark Pit:4darkpit:/Maybe Pit:4pit: as a sort of tertiary character for the new game because ultra edgy and being pretty fun to use in Smash 4. I'm not too shabby with him either.

Of course, I always have a lot of other characters that I use for fun, which may vary,

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
According the icons on the left:
:mario64:-Pretty much my standard choice for general play. Also :luigi64: on the side.
:samusmelee:-Before ATs, it was :drmario::falconmelee::roymelee:. When I got better with ATs, mainly :samusmelee: took the reins and changing :roymelee: with :ganondorfmelee:.
:gw:-With :samus2: nerfed and left with nothing but Z-air and crappy camp game, :gw: took her spot easily. I pretty much didn't main anyone else since they were either boring to play or easily gimped by Devil (:metaknight:).
:4samus::4yoshi:- Very out there since I barely touched :4yoshi: throughout the series, but plays a lot more better than any of his previous iterations in this current Smash Bros. But yet again, I barely play him now since he still seem tricky to play. At least more often and easier than :4littlemac:and:4greninja:. Really love these two still, but I don't like the gimpy recoveries they have (:4greninja: is really weird to recover with sometimes and almost seems like I'll be in the opponent's hand every time I use it). :4wiifitm:is fun to use, but I don't play him as much. I felt :4gaw: being a little more weaker in this one, so I stay away from him now. However, I'm beginning to like :4samus: again. She plays a little more smoother but I know she's still easily gimped by rushdown and anti-camp characters (:4sheik: and :4diddy: comes to mind). Still, a lot better than :samus2:. What a disaster.

Last edited:
Top Bottom