• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How often do you see Racism Online?

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
I thought society has gotten better but It often boggles my mind how people have premade racist slurs names stored online. Before a match starts they'll change their name or after a match if they lose, its happened a few times which is wierd to me, especially on a family oriented console. And no offence but its usally caucasians. The most you can do is report them. I just wanted to get this off my chest because Im glad no younger relatives of mine see this when I play online, people are all equal and someone's race shouldnt be an issue just to play a friendly for glory match.

drewzzins

Smash Cadet
NNID
Drew_Swagger
3DS FC
1650-3438-5790
As long as there is people in the world, it will never get better. I'd just say keep kicking their asses.

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
I've personally never seen any racism online. played about 2000 matches so far online. That being said i'm white and there isn't a whole lot of white slurs people can put on their tag. Still though, not so much as a racist sounding NNID. I know this is much different than even 5 years ago playing video games and listening to all the racists. Or even listening to my brother play call of duty and hearing all the racists spout their gibberish every 2nd game. I'd say society is getting better. But i'm not really effected by it so i'm in no place to judge that.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
I've only seen it twice, and only once was it directed at me. The one time it was directed towards me, the person changed their tag to "MexicanLag" (I don't know how he came up with that since I live in the US).

I don't think it's an indicator of how corrupt our society has become. I see it as an indicator that people are anonymous (or at least believe they are) when playing online, and thus some of them act like jerks on there when they would never say that crap in real life. It's the same way with the rest of the Internet and games with online functions.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
More than I would like to see. The "N" word is thrown around a lot - and I feel like it's most likely those under the age of 18 who are the culprits.

visvim

Smash Apprentice
NNID
visvim-1893
3DS FC
1736-0405-5625
Online competitive gaming will always be a breeding ground for Internet tough guys - it's amazing how the shields of anonymity and distance can bring out the most detestable sides of people. Haven't had the misfortune of running into any racially derogatory tags, but have seen my share of homophobic ones on FG.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
No, I have not fought against anyone that would change their name tag to something that invokes racism. I'd be damned if I find anyone with a tag that takes a direct shot against Latinos, mainly Mexicans.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I beat a Link spammer who changed his name to "URAN*****" once.

Buffaloface

Smash Rookie
Just ran in to one today, actually. He had a bunch of tags ready, and let loose the hate after I beat him.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
Racism won't be going away anytime soon, but it will phase out over time.
It's worse online because relative anonymity provides safety for its abusers.
I've seen my fair share of insults with the N word, and some involving Jews, but nothing for other races yet.

MustDash <NeDave>

Smash Cadet
NNID
NeDavid
3DS FC
1289-8218-1036
Haven't come across one directed AT me, though it's a matter of time, just another latino telling me (a latino as well) "tu madre" before leaving online when he lost (USA location too). I have seen A LOT of offensive tags and the common rascist tags though made before I enter rooms. Sorry to hear such experience you had, very unfortunate to come across such people.

Last edited:

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
Racism won't be going away anytime soon, but it will phase out over time.
It's worse online because relative anonymity provides safety for its abusers.
I've seen my fair share of insults with the N word, and some involving Jews, but nothing for other races yet.
Not that it matters much since it's still an insult directed at Jewish people, but Jewish isn't a race.
Sorry, just annoys me when I see people calling it a race.

I've yet to see such insults in Smash, though I'm pretty sure I've seen it in other games, just don't remember.

Last edited:

ansossy

Smash Apprentice
Most of the people who are calling me names seem to be mostly from places such as Texas, Mississippi, and Georgia. I never really see this from players in New York or Washington or Canada.

Jigglypwnz14

Smash Cadet
I have never seen references to racism online (and I hope I never will). However, I have seen references to drugs, specifically marijuana.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
Not that it matters much since it's still an insult directed at Jewish people, but Jewish isn't a race.
Sorry, just annoys me when I see people calling it a race.

I've yet to see such insults in Smash, though I'm pretty sure I've seen it in other games, just don't remember.
They aren't technically a race, but most people use racism for a shorthand version of ethnocentrism. I can see why Duck Smash! would lump those together, as it's less of a mouthful than saying he saw an ethnocentric slur against Jews.

I've personally had the gambit of hatred thrown my way on occasion when playing on the Wii U. Makes me wonder why people get so mad at Nintendo for not wanting voice chat in most of their competitive games, as if the 'internet ****wad theory' didn't already have enough evidence for me to not want to stay as far away from these punks as possible.

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
I've seen many people call me different names before. None have to do with racism, most of them are simply and plainly caused by rage. I beat them in a match and call me cheap, which I usually get a good laugh out of. I'm typically a person who doesn't get offended easily. However, the only thing that ticks me off is when people just suicide and then call ME cheap. People are just amazing... This is pretty much why I don't play For Glory as often. People can be overly competitive (competitive as in the people who go bonkers when they lose).

Last edited:

ansossy

Smash Apprentice
I have never seen references to racism online (and I hope I never will). However, I have seen references to drugs, specifically marijuana.
How does drugs have anything to do with Smash? A typical name like 420BlazeIt or Druggie or something is probably the least of people's concerns.

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
They aren't technically a race, but most people use racism for a shorthand version of ethnocentrism. I can see why Duck Smash! would lump those together, as it's less of a mouthful than saying he saw an ethnocentric slur against Jews.
Yeah, I know. It's just something that bothers me.

Jigglypwnz14

Smash Cadet
How does drugs have anything to do with Smash? A typical name like 420BlazeIt or Druggie or something is probably the least of people's concerns.
If drugs have nothing to do with smash then why does racism have anything to do with smash? Listen dude, the world is a harsh place, and drugs can ruin your life and everything you are good at, including smash. I will say that marijuana is not that big of a deal (I personally support legalizing it) and if used correctly it wont effect your social life and your talents, though there are much worse drugs out there and I think we all know what those ones are. I can get a laugh out at names that reference weed (though others may not which is why I mentioned it), I don't laugh when they reference crack, heroin, meth, and even tobacco. Drugs have everything to do with anything. Period.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Never, fortunately. It probably helps that I'm white and, for some reason or another, there seems to be very little racist activity directed towards Caucasians. Not sure why that is. I've had people poke fun at me in person for being Irish, mind, but I'm pretty sure they meant that in jest.

I think I'd just shrug it off and laugh, even if it did happen to me. Maybe I just play nice people?

If drugs have nothing to do with smash then why does racism have anything to do with smash? Listen dude, the world is a harsh place, and drugs can ruin your life and everything you are good at, including smash. I will say that marijuana is not that big of a deal (I personally support legalizing it) and if used correctly it wont effect your social life and your talents, though there are much worse drugs out there and I think we all know what those ones are. I can get a laugh out at names that reference weed (though others may not which is why I mentioned it), I don't laugh when they reference crack, heroin, meth, and even tobacco. Drugs have everything to do with anything. Period.
This is an irrelevant tangent. Not sure who you're trying to convince here in a thread about racial slurs in Smash?

Last edited:

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
I kept beating a bad player once, and he started calling me a spammer and a Jew (ironically he was a spammy Duck Hunt/Link player)

Eventually, he just said "Yourjustlucky ImonXanex" and left

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
Never, fortunately. It probably helps that I'm white and, for some reason or another, there seems to be very little racist activity directed towards Caucasians.
I'll bet no one knows you're white over the internet. Anyway, go ahead and have a giggle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_slurs_by_ethnicity

That out of the way though, grow up. Seriously. Society will "get better" when people stop getting butt frustrated over words, it's the same as kids on a playground calling each other names - the mature kid shrugs it off.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'll bet no one knows you're white over the internet. Anyway, go ahead and have a giggle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_slurs_by_ethnicity
My Mii is white, and as far as the other player knows, that's what I look like.

And I know such slurs do exist, but speaking from experience, I have encountered them significantly less than I have pejorative terms directed at people of other ethnicities - which is deplorable irrespective of your race. Either everybody is equal or nobody is equal.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
Seems like you changed your tune from shrugging it off and laughing, could be that your meaning is a little unclear. Unimportant in the end, I guess.

Either everybody is equal or nobody is equal.
This is a troublesome statement that carries implications that I could challenge in detail, but this thread is far below the scope for that sort of discussion. Instead, I leave you with an interesting experiment: change your Mii to any other race you want, see if you get more hate.

Top Bottom