• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How often do you hit rest?

Wtfwasthat

Smash Journeyman
How often do you guys hit rest? I find myself not using it too often because if I miss I am usually KOed :(

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I use it very often. For me, the hitbox is larger and longer than any other rest in the smash bros series despite not looking like it is. It is guaranteed to kill around 50-70 percent now that vectoring is gone, but Wombo DI will get you punished and KO'd early as well if you miss. Sing/Rest is a godsend and I think it can be put to good use at last (I pulled it off on FOW and FG players).

You either read and punish their rolls, sides dodges, or incoming attacks. Mostly Aerials.

Last edited:

I<3Tacos

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5086-3537-0736
I try it a lot. I don't hit it so much. I'm bad.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I only ever use it out of shield, I'll usually roll into people when they're going mad with spot-dodging or w/e and blast them off. I found it easier to land on the 3DS though, people have become so much more mobile with the Wii U version, so at this point I only use it when I have a healthy lead, my opponent isn't very good, or when I'm in a playful mood.

Last edited:

GreenBread

Smash Cadet
NNID
Iceformation
3DS FC
1203-9525-6346
When I started playing her I couldn't hit it for crap, now I can. I can usually hit once per game with like a 70% hit ratio. It's good to practice Rest because it can put you in a really good lead. Also, when you get good with it, it's one of the easiest KO moves Jiggs has IMO

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
I use it when I land sleep. People use aerial dodges and rolls like crazy so they can play the reactive fighting game instead of the direct fighting game. I can usually just stand still, force them to approach - which they are bad at - and then slam a sleep+rest combo easily. I don't use it against easier to use characters since staying immobile for more than a second against them is not wise.

SyncNatsyu

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3007-8406-9326
I only go for Rest when I feel it'll hit, so I rarely use it. So saying that, I have a 50% hit rate.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
I'll go matches without using it. It's the ultimate punish, but just that - a punish. If you try to use it as an offensive tool it becomes less valuable.

I personally won't use it if there's a "decent chance" I'll miss. 3 best times are, d

Descending on top of charged smash/projectile users. Rolling into charged smashes/people on the edge. Crouch resting the enemy.

Speaking of crouch resting, next to you fight a ZSS pick puff. Wait for her to do laser -> dash. Crouch and rest her dash attack for 35% damage, and watch as she punishes with like 10%

Also, you can rest out of multihit moves like mac's jabs.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
I only use it towards the end of the match or if my opponent rolls like crazy. Otherwise it's too risky against competent players.

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
I tend to save it for when I'm sure it'll hit(after sing, for example), or when I doubt my opponent will expect it. In most cases where I do miss, the opponent was not expecting it and ended up using a quick attack that's easy for me to survive.

Of course, playing against characters with large hit boxes, I tend to use rest a lot more often because it's incredibly easy to land. Any time I face a D3, bowser, or Charizard, all of my KOs tend to be from using rest to punish landing lag.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
I use it to punish air dodges, landing lag, inward rolls and laggy attacks on my shield.

I even use it offstage after a wall of pain if I have a stock lead. Idgaf<3

When you (the Jigglypuff) is at lower percents it's actually pretty safe in this game. If you miss you take a fully charged Smash in the worst case scenario. That's not that bad imo.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I use it whenever I'm a stock down and I want my man's stock gone, or when I'm really sick of somebody's **** and just want em dead. That said, like once every other match. I've only missed one rest so far. I intend on keeping it that way. [insert evil laugh here]

Zigoon95

Smash Rookie
I use it to punish laggy moves, mostly on Lucario when he is at 60-70%.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
I use it when the opportunity opens itself for me, the thing one must do is not to fish for rest let the chance come to you during the game.

You're more likely to use it safely and effectively in teams since its more chaotic and the other teammate can sometimes hit you with a weak move thus allowing you to get away scott free.

In 1v1 i use it to punish laggy moves by rolling into them then quickly using Rest, i also use it when i'm stuck in rapid hitting moves such as Robs side B or Little Macs jab. Or i use it out shield against dash attacks for example: bowser jr(very easy to do due to ending lag),Mario,Dr Mario, Megaman,Kirby,ZSS(i struggle with this one since we can crouch and then punish).

I don't use rest often i'm more of a Fair you until you're off the screen type of Jiggly.

Tetz

Smash Cadet
NNID
tetzyeah
For some reason I feel that hitting with the Rest is so much easier then in Brawl. Seriously, Rest is a very useful tool.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I use it a little too often admittedly. I usually rely too much on it when I'm in a bad spot or am falling back behind.

I<3Tacos

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5086-3537-0736
I use it a little too often admittedly. I usually rely too much on it when I'm in a bad spot or am falling back behind.
I can totaly relate to that, as soon as I start chasing for the rest I play pretty badly and will often do stupid mistakes that can cost me the game.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Stay on ledge -> spotdodge incoming dash attack or dash grab -> rest

Rest comes out almost immediately after the invincibility wears off, so it's great.

That strategy works a lot more than you'd think, actually.

Last edited:

jviscake

Smash Rookie
I e
When I started playing her I couldn't hit it for crap, now I can. I can usually hit once per game with like a 70% hit ratio. It's good to practice Rest because it can put you in a really good lead. Also, when you get good with it, it's one of the easiest KO moves Jiggs has IMO
Well she really only has like 2 lol

Narwelch

Smash Rookie
NNID
Narwelch
I honestly should go for rest more often. When I do go for it, I tend to go for it in the air. I really need to practice crouch canceling into rest and punishing rolls with rest more often.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Rest kills at 50% and how easy it can be to hit makes Jiggs scary. I can't believe people say she's bottom tier again, she's a threat.
She's highish midtier this game. Her back air is pretty damn amazing.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I've been landing more Rests since I've been trying to stop treating this game's Rest like Melee's. I've also been seeing what all I can OoS Rest.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Much different. The hitbox was smaller, it killed MUCH earlier, it send opponents at a diagonal angle, and there were more reliable ways to combo into it.

C4RDIN4L

Hachachacha
NNID
zbot09
3DS FC
3454-1311-6010
Switch FC
SW 4949 5867 3952
I use rest a lot, like a lot more than i should xD it's a high risk high reward kind of strat with me because i see the openings but i don't always react quickly enough to punish them. Once i get more pracitce in i'll hit them a lot more often.

Funtroon

Smash Apprentice
I often use it after a Sing set up, that's how I usually hit. There were some instances where I used it in the air after hitting a fair or bair at low percentages. I also find myself using on the ledge to punish those who attack after climbing on the ledge by shielding their attack and hitting rest immediately afterwards.

C4RDIN4L

Hachachacha
NNID
zbot09
3DS FC
3454-1311-6010
Switch FC
SW 4949 5867 3952
i do that a lot too @ Funtroon Funtroon . I'll punish dash attacks OoS too and I'm practicing with punishing attacks/grabs that can be crouched. capt falcon's approaches become severely limited with the combination of crouch and OoS rest punishes xD love it

Top Bottom