• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How not to get easily mad?

kinbobbobkin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Remybunny14
3DS FC
1822-1654-6056
When I battle people online, I usually get mad/upset/frustrated. And it usually happens when people taunt.

Like just a while ago I was fighting a Rosa player with my Toon Link, who excessively taunted whenever I got K.O'd. And it easily riled me up. How can I calm myself, especially to people who taunt after bodying me everytime?

kinbobbobkin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Remybunny14
3DS FC
1822-1654-6056
Online friendlies? I can't really help with offline but in general I avoid smash 4 online unless I'm super bored.
Ah, I see. I don't get that much taunters offline, than I do online. But, someone ask me to play. I didn't know that they were going to be those guys. I ened up SDing because I didn't like fighting against him. :/

KirbCider

Smash Ace
Thing is, every gamer is going to experience some anger now and then. Some more than others.

The important thing is to not let it fester and become a boiling rage. When it comes to online play there's going to be a lot of people, or "Trolls" who will try at nothing to make you rage for giggles. For Glory can be filled with these kinds of people, especially in 2v2 matches from my experience. Not much you can do about these kinds of people aside from ignore what they're trying to do.

If someone is truly frustrating you then leave and find another opponent. If you find that you're still getting frustrated after that then simply put down the controller, turn off the game, and relax. Staying and asking for more will only cause that frustration to build.

Again, getting angry at a game is natural. Just don't become one of those types who start throwing their controllers around!

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
There's always gonna be one of those cocky mother****ers in For Glory who would literally taunt or teabag or whatever to try and get on your skin and there ain't **** we can do about it. Getting mad and frustrating about those will only make things worse for you and it's not really good for your health. As KirbCider mentioned, it's best to ignore what they're doing since it worked wonderful for me because I play this just for fun.

★Malik★™

Smash Ace
What I do is
  • Uninstall the game
I am a peace when this happens.. at least until I reinstall the game and start playing it again due to withdrawal thinking all of the things that make me mad in this game was fixed during my absence or at least has died down. It doesn't.

Last edited:

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
Deep breathing:

Breathe in and out.
Breathe in slowly until your lungs are comfortably filled with cool and refreshing air
Hold it and savor the breath
Exhale slowly, and while exhaling, release all tension from your muscles and calm your mind

When deep sea divers get excited underwater in near death situations, they can panic and die, and that is why they must stay calm, cool, and collected. Unfortunately, they may not have the luxury of breathing in and out so they need to have the ability to calm themselves at will.

If you feel as if this rage hinders your progress, then you need to find ways to not let it get to you too much.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
Part of staying calm is mental, and part of it is physical. The mental stuff will take time, as it requires you to think differently about what you are doing and how you react (playing to enjoy yourself, taking perceived slights in stride, etc.). But there are things you maybe doing physically that are 'accelerating' your tolerance. Holding your breath subconsciously when something is close, sitting with your legs crossed (Yes, this is even possible in a chair or couch. You'll see people cross their ankles.) and clenching are all things people will do that will increase blood pressure. This in turn makes it easier for you emotions to run hot, as you have the chemicals that makes this happen already in your system.

If you find yourself doing some of these things (or don't something else that may cut circulation or cause oxygen deprivation) then you'll want to work on your playing habits. Changing your posture and focusing on breathing techniques while in a stressed environment are two ways you can slowly change how your handle yourself physically that will eventually take root in your subconscious. I'm working on this currently (I've picked up a bad habit of holding my breath sometimes when I play against people in a ranked/staked match, which makes me more agitated and prone to anger or anxiety.) and know it has helped me out in the past.

The mental stuff takes much longer to condition, but you'll find threads all over the place on this forum that have different tips and tricks to try. (Some tips work better for some people than others, so it maybe easier for you to search them out and try what you think is right than have us start throwing them at you.)

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Whenever someone spams taunts, I just imagine that they have something bad going on in real life and they're just taking their anger out online to boost their self-esteem.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
I have found a very good trick to help me not get mad. The trick that I use is to win. I never get mad when I am winning. It is a very easy trick to use too.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
When I battle people online, I usually get mad/upset/frustrated. And it usually happens when people taunt.

Like just a while ago I was fighting a Rosa player with my Toon Link, who excessively taunted whenever I got K.O'd. And it easily riled me up. How can I calm myself, especially to people who taunt after bodying me everytime?
I know what u mean expecially if its Rosa because imo she has the most annoying taunts that gets you angry the most

Mizzy Moe

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3883-6486-6414
taunts will get me mad sometimes but for the most part but really the only other times ill get mad is when i get killed by something stupid like robs hoo ha DX

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
play 3/5 or 2/3
in fact, make it your tag online.
EDIT: didn't read actual posts....
think of taunts as enemy summoner. the enemy is frustration and it's powerful if you GIVE IT ATTENTION. IT WANTS ATTENTION.
don't give it attention. actually, don't look at the opponent until you come back

Last edited:
Top Bottom