• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Nintendo can save the Wii U

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
The Wii U can be saved and here's how.
-Nintendo starts marketing it as a completely different console than the Wii
-Nintendo starts getting more third party games
-Nintendo starts using their other IP's
-Iwata and Reggie get fired
-A Segata Sanshiro or Kevin Butler esque ad campaign
-Nintendo makes more core games

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Nintendos intention WAS to get more 3rd parties. They tried that, and are still trying it. That's why they are getting exclusives such as Sonic Lost World and Bayonetta 2.

However, like Rayman Legends, not all of those plans worked out and they are more or less forced to rely on their 1st party titles

finalark

SNORLAX
Nintendos intention WAS to get more 3rd parties. They tried that, and are still trying it. That's why they are getting exclusives such as Sonic Lost World and Bayonetta 2.

However, like Rayman Legends, not all of those plans worked out and they are more or less forced to rely on their 1st party titles

AKA every Nintendo console from the N64 onward.

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
Rebranding is the first step to the system's survival.

The "Wii U" name is confusing to consumers, particularly the casual consumers that know about the Wii. The system itself doesn't look that much different than a Wii, and the emphasis the gamepad makes the device look nothing more than another Wii peripheral. So the name needs to go. As for suggestions for the name, I have a few.

"Nintendo ES" - Or The "ES" for short, which stands for "Entertainment System". This name is a throwback to Nintendo's golden years while also adopting the naming convention of its more successful handheld family.
"Ultra Nintendo Entertainment System" - Or "UNES", or "Ultra Nintendo". Like the previous name, this one is an attempt to bring back Nintendo's respected image from the 80s and 90s. That's what gamers and developers really want from the Nintendo they grew up with right now. It has the letter U in it so they can recycle some of the old Wii U slogans if they want to.

Next, the system's visual appearance needs to be redesigned. For too long, Nintendo systems have looked more like toys than entertainment systems. What the market wants now is a system that looks like it adds something special to the living room. The same must be done with the Gamepad. Make it look less like a Fischer-Price tablet. That is not a company Nintendo is competing with. Internally, the rebranded system is no different than it was as "Wii U". To say thanks to those who purchased a "Wii U", Nintendo should team up with retailers to make a trade in program that allows people to trade their Wii U systems for the new model for free.

Then Nintendo has to invest in some new, effective advertising. One thing that is a must is to validate the existence of the Gamepad when there are few games that make proper use of it so far. Fortunately, the greatest thing about the Gamepad is off-screen play, which is very appealing. Portability is also a huge plus, especially if the system is redesigned to be slimmer in the future. All you need to play Wii U games is the Gamepad, the system, and a power cord at the very minimum. Just look at this guy playing the Wii U on a train. Pretty cool, right?

The rest is all down to better software. Nintendo needs to invest in more Western studios to compete with the studios that are not making Wii U games right now. If those games succeed with Nintendo's funding and high standard of quality, the other third parties will surely flock to it. Nintendo also needs to invest in smarter uses for the Gamepad. A simple map or a car horn will not cut it. And of course, it would be in their best interest to get games on the virtual console up more quickly.

fitzawesome

Smash Rookie
Create a fully 3D Pokemon on the Wii U with an interesting story. Have online sections in tows with other real people running about that you can talk/duel/trade/etc with. Wii U would sell off the shelves. Pity Game Freak refuses to make a console version.

D

Deleted member

Better marketing overall. Those commercials on TV poorly advertise what the Wii U is and what it's meant to be. Nintendo also needs better third party support as they do play a major role in the video game market. Finally, I think that they should revive some of their old IPs like Star Fox and F-Zero as those series will definitely draw in crowds.

If Nintendo wants the Wii U to actively compete with the PS4 and Xbox One, then they have a lot of work to do.

Justin Bailey

Smash Cadet
1. Hire new marketing team.
2. Release Smash.
3. Nintendo Power.

Market like it was the 80s and 90s all over again, with loud, in your face advertising!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
If they wanted the Wii U to succeed, they shouldn't have waited for all their AAA titles to be released years after launch (i.e Zelda, SSB, Mario Kart). Just saying.

As for what they can do...

1) Release a 3D Pokemon game.

People have longed for the day for Pokemon Stadium 3 to be released. It would sell like crazy given that their's over 700 PKMN to use in the game now. Why they haven't released the game is beyond me.

2) Appeal to midcore/hardcore gamers.

The Wii was pretty successful in extending Nintendo's target audience from just normal Nintendo fans to non gamers as well. But lets face the facts, the casual base is slowly dying out with all the Smartphones and Tablets that are out. Tone it down with marketing too much on the casual crew and start focusing on marketing to the diehard Nintendo fans.

3) Don't wait for the holidays just to release a game.

This is something that really irks me about not just Nintendo but Sony and Microsoft as well. I don't see the reason of keeping a game from being sold just because of the holiday season. If a game is good, people will buy it (Everyone knows they'll get a good quality game when they buy a game such as Smash Bros or Mario Kart). if it's not good, people won't buy it. That's just how I feel about this whole issue.

My 2 cents.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Nintendo will save the Wii U by releasing Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. 4 on it this year.

Down the road, Nintendo can completely keep Microsoft from getting 2nd place, the PS4 will be the clear winner this gen, by releasing HD updates to Wave Race, Star Fox, F-Zero, Pokemon and Zelda.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I didn't mean like the Sh*tbox, more like the PS1, PS2, or, the PS3, that had games for everyone, no matter what age or gender.
The Wii U has games for everyone, no matter what age and gender, being stuck-up and having enough of a lack of personality to think mature games make you mature is another thing.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Just... no.
Lack of Software was Nintendo's mistake

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
It's too late for the Wii U to become a success the way Nintendo had hoped.

They should just focus on courting more indie developers and making great first party software. They had plenty of time to fix the issues shortly after the what was thought to be a successful launch.

Mario Kart 8 is coming out later this month and it should determine its immediate future. Although people don't like to admit it, Mario Kart is a more valuable and profitable property than Smash Bros to Nintendo.

As for the success of 3DS, people fail to remember that Mario 3D Land wasn't what saved the console. It was both that game and Mario Kart 7. Releasing back to back. Mario Kart 7 had the most sales during it's launch week. Also, the fact that content was at a really steady and comfortable pace towards the end of 2011.

Bringing back F-Zero, Star Fox and Metroid isn't going to "save" the Wii U but give it a more rounded line-up of titles. And who knows, if Nintendo decides to release any of those titles and actually market the living hell out of them through TV ads, social media and word of mouth, then yes, those titles can potentially be huge successes comparable to at least Zelda.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
It's too late for the Wii U to become a success the way Nintendo had hoped.

They should just focus on courting more indie developers and making great first party software. They had plenty of time to fix the issues shortly after the what was thought to be a successful launch.

Mario Kart 8 is coming out later this month and it should determine its immediate future. Although people don't like to admit it, Mario Kart is a more valuable and profitable property than Smash Bros to Nintendo.

As for the success of 3DS, people fail to remember that Mario 3D Land wasn't what saved the console. It was both that game and Mario Kart 7. Releasing back to back. Mario Kart 7 had the most sales during it's launch week. Also, the fact that content was at a really steady and comfortable pace towards the end of 2011.

Bringing back F-Zero, Star Fox and Metroid isn't going to "save" the Wii U but give it a more rounded line-up of titles. And who knows, if Nintendo decides to release any of those titles and actually market the living hell out of them through TV ads, social media and word of mouth, then yes, those titles can potentially be huge successes comparable to at least Zelda.
Yep, well at least Nintendo is finally using another first party IP other than Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, and Pokémon, it's Kirby

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I feel like "save" is such a melodramatic term here. The Wii U is struggling, not failing. It doesn't need saving, Nintendo just needs to re-focus their efforts (mainly, they need to stop focusing so much on the 3DS. Seriously, the 3DS will do fine with the games and services it has right now. There are honestly TOO many games on the 3DS that I want, so they don't need to make games for it so furiously right now), they need to market the thing better, come up with as many bundles as possible to provide different options with varying prices, and actually use the functions it has while breaking old habits (the fact that Super Mario 3D World failed to capitalise on online play still really irks me, since Miyamoto admitted that they toyed around with the idea and deduced it would be really easy to implement, yet decided not to because it "didn't suit the game").

So far, I feel like they've been taking good steps this year, so I'm not too worried about the Wii U. What they show at E3 will be the deciding factor, though. They could easily hook a huge net of fish there.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Also, Nintendo really need to learn how to generate hype for their games beyond Smash Bros. Sure, Nintendo can hype Nintendo fans. But can they hype non-Nintendo fans? No. And that's seriously what's bringing them down. Just look at the PS4. It has absolutely no games, it's doing worse than the Wii U ever was in terms of lacking games, yet it sold like crazy, because it had major hype surrounding it, due to it's awesome marketing and it's press events. Most people bought a PS4 off of hype alone, and hardly play the thing.

They succeeded in hyping non-Nintendo fans with the Wii, so they really need to take what they did there, and look at what Sony has been doing, and utilise the best of both worlds.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
GCN worked out a lot better than most other attempts, but yeah, pretty much this. Nintendo needs to get their game in competing with the hardware - They don't have to use all it's power, but if other people are able to port their games without stress, it'd be so much better for both sides. It's kind-of funny and sad seeing Nintendo turn into that after the N64 since Nintendo use to be so well with third-parties and their fixture with third-parties is what helped the Game Industry rise back up.

R0Y

Smash Master
Raw power aside, they don't really have the right architecture to attract third-parties either. Third parties don't want PowerPC anymore, at least it's not Cell :p

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I'm just hoping that QOL is a multidisc tray/ reader so I don't have to get up to put discs in.

R0Y

Smash Master
I'm just hoping that QOL is a multidisc tray/ reader so I don't have to get up to put discs in.
You might have been joking but, I'll reply anyway: only some high-end AV equipment ever did that. Consoles are all made to order one way in the millions and to cut as many costs as possible. Nintendo also obviously wants to encourage digital (which I don't like.) Bottom line, if you want the disc like me, you have to insert and eject them, which is extremely easy to do with a slot-loading drive.

Jake The Preacher

The Amateur Preacher
I think what they need to do is maybe start development on old 1st parties like StarFox (I'm an SF fanboy, I had to say it first) and Metroid, and do things that appeal to fans. I absolutely love the new innovation they do every new console, but also every once in a while I think they need to appeal to the fans and potential fans. And also, Smash 4. That'll definitely save the Wiiu

SwordofMastery7

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0989-1733-3793
I think it would be awesome if they had a new mature IP that would appeal to hardcore gamers that could compete in the realm of Halo, Gears, God of War, etc. That's what's seriously crppling Nintendo is because the people who buy video games regularly don't consider Nintendo to be relevant and too kiddy. I think something that would appeal to hardcore gamers that is truly "mature" (take that as you will) that they can only get on the WiiU would be very helpful. The fact is games like Titanfall sold the Xbone, and hat's what moves software and hardware in the US. Not that I agree, but it would help sales a little.

R0Y

Smash Master
I think it would be awesome if they had a new mature IP that would appeal to hardcore gamers that could compete in the realm of Halo, Gears, God of War, etc. That's what's seriously crppling Nintendo is because the people who buy video games regularly don't consider Nintendo to be relevant and too kiddy. I think something that would appeal to hardcore gamers that is truly "mature" (take that as you will) that they can only get on the WiiU would be very helpful. The fact is games like Titanfall sold the Xbone, and hat's what moves software and hardware in the US. Not that I agree, but it would help sales a little.

Not that I'd want the current Rare back.

Well, Gamecube was their worst-selling home console ever (looks like Wii U will take that distinction) but it had decent third-party support actually, especially early on, even titles you wouldn't expect like Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast. It was hardware-competitive with the PS2 and Xbox though (more powerful than PS2.)

Last edited:

SwordofMastery7

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0989-1733-3793
Exactly! Like Perfect Dark or even GoldenEye! Those games SELL consoles! As unfortunate as it is, and as much as I don't care for those games, TONS of gamers LOVE those games. People buy the Xbone for Titanfall and Halo, while PS4 users buy the PS4 for their "mature" IPs. It's sad to think that Nintendo has to "sink" to that level, but it's the reality of he world we live in. Fact is, Call of Duty sales keep going up, but not many Nintendo games are even remotely tapping into that market.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I don't know, people were saying the exact same thing back in the days of GameCube and Wii about appealing to the hardcore and I don't think they ever had as much trouble with those consoles (certainly not with the Wii).

From my perspective, the "hardcore" gamers who exclusively focus on shooters with lots of blood are the ones who are going to go for the Xbox/PS. That's their market. Sure, Nintendo has the "mature" titles like Perfect Dark or GoldenEye, Mad World or No More Heroes, and people enjoy those kind of titles. But people seem to buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games. It's why they've gotten away with typically not having great third party support on consoles, even though I'm sure it wouldn't kill them to get it. Appealing to the "hardcore" is not what sells Nintendo consoles. In fact, appealing to the extremely "casual" is what made them the big bucks with the Wii.

From my perspective -- why I haven't bought the console yet, anyway -- the issue resides a lot in the lack of promising titles. That's not to say there aren't good ones I'm not aware of / don't know enough about, but of the few that appeal to me right off the bat, none of them are console-buyers for me. Not because they're not hardcore, but because I buy my Nintendo consoles for their first-party titles (and generally not Mario). Smash Bros has me finally leaning toward there, a solid Zelda announcement would probably get me there, the announcement of a Metroid game not in the same style as Other M would get me there, but what's there so far doesn't have me wanting to drop hundreds of bucks for a dust-collector.

People who really want the blood-and-guts aren't going to jump on the Wii U boat just because Nintendo goes there, they're going to look at all of the "kiddy" things and continue to look down on Nintendo and see the Xbox/PS as a better option for them no matter what. And they're probably right.

I'm no expert on the issue, but I've seen the same "hardcore" arguments thrown around the past two generations of consoles and I've even been one of the people strongly arguing that at one point, and I just don't think that it's the issue people think it is. Partially because "hardcore" is about as vague and hard to define as terms go.

SwordofMastery7

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0989-1733-3793
I don't know, people were saying the exact same thing back in the days of GameCube and Wii about appealing to the hardcore and I don't think they ever had as much trouble with those consoles (certainly not with the Wii).

From my perspective, the "hardcore" gamers who exclusively focus on shooters with lots of blood are the ones who are going to go for the Xbox/PS. That's their market. Sure, Nintendo has the "mature" titles like Perfect Dark or GoldenEye, Mad World or No More Heroes, and people enjoy those kind of titles. But people seem to buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games. It's why they've gotten away with typically not having great third party support on consoles, even though I'm sure it wouldn't kill them to get it. Appealing to the "hardcore" is not what sells Nintendo consoles. In fact, appealing to the extremely "casual" is what made them the big bucks with the Wii.

From my perspective -- why I haven't bought the console yet, anyway -- the issue resides a lot in the lack of promising titles. That's not to say there aren't good ones I'm not aware of / don't know enough about, but of the few that appeal to me right off the bat, none of them are console-buyers for me. Not because they're not hardcore, but because I buy my Nintendo consoles for their first-party titles (and generally not Mario). Smash Bros has me finally leaning toward there, a solid Zelda announcement would probably get me there, the announcement of a Metroid game not in the same style as Other M would get me there, but what's there so far doesn't have me wanting to drop hundreds of bucks for a dust-collector.

People who really want the blood-and-guts aren't going to jump on the Wii U boat just because Nintendo goes there, they're going to look at all of the "kiddy" things and continue to look down on Nintendo and see the Xbox/PS as a better option for them no matter what. And they're probably right.

I'm no expert on the issue, but I've seen the same "hardcore" arguments thrown around the past two generations of consoles and I've even been one of the people strongly arguing that at one point, and I just don't think that it's the issue people think it is. Partially because "hardcore" is about as vague and hard to define as terms go.
You know, you're right. I don't know how people would even jump ship to Nintendo if Ninty's current IPs didn't appeal to them already.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Ok maybe it's not Reggie's fault, maybe it's just Iwata, who thinks the industry is what it was 20 years ago, and not adapting, maybe Iwata should start trying more to sell games in the West, because their are more people in the West than anywhere elze

Zachary the Master

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1177-7152-1947
I agree. And the Wii U, I just think it's just another fad. I'm just going to wait it out like how I wait out a Hammer in Super Smash Bros

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Ok maybe it's not Reggie's fault, maybe it's just Iwata, who thinks the industry is what it was 20 years ago, and not adapting, maybe Iwata should start trying more to sell games in the West, because their are more people in the West than anywhere elze
The West is an important market and I'm not saying they don't need to market there, but there are not more people in the West than anywhere else (unless your definition of it is different from the one I'm going by). Asia itself has more than half of the world's population.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
The West is an important market and I'm not saying they don't need to market there, but there are not more people in the West than anywhere else (unless your definition of it is different from the one I'm going by). Asia itself has more than half of the world's population.

Maybe I should have said that there are more gamers in the West than Japan, either wat, Iwata is like most Japanese businessmen, too da*n nationalistic for his own good

Zachary the Master

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1177-7152-1947
The Wii U, not appealing. Graphics aren't to the full potential, battery life sucks, few third party support, and rushed.

I only bought a 3ds for Pokemon Y, but I also got LoZ:LBW, LoZ:OoT 3d, Super mario 3d land, and Mariokart 7. Wii U? No appealing titles. Btw, I recommend you watch a Youtube video I found quite interesting.

http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=FS1p7W5dmBE

Last edited by a moderator:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I agree. And the Wii U, I just think it's just another fad. I'm just going to wait it out like how I wait out a Hammer in Super Smash Bros
No.
The Wii U, not appealing. Graphics aren't to the full potential, battery life sucks, few third party support, and rushed.

I only bought a 3ds for Pokemon Y, but I also got LoZ:LBW, LoZ:OoT 3d, Super mario 3d land, and Mariokart 7. Wii U? No appealing titles. Btw, I recommend you watch a Youtube video I found quite interesting.

http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=FS1p7W5dmBE
No, No, No, AND NO! Shut your mouth, Wii U has 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Wind Waker HD, NSMBU, Wonderful 101...

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
No.

No, No, No, AND NO! Shut your mouth, Wii U has 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Wind Waker HD, NSMBU, Wonderful 101...
Okay, whoa. I know it's frustrating to have people entirely hate something you love, but telling people to shut their mouths and/or shouting no at them is going to accomplish very little. No matter how much you disagree with somebody, their opinion is still valid and you should be respectful of it.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
All Nintendo can do is salvage a niche for the Wii U, and then do what Sony has done with the PS4, they learned from their launch blunders with the PS3 and didn't do any of them with the PS4, and now look at where the PS4 is, dominating the sales charts and breaking sales records, but of course I am talking about Iwata here, who's gotta be the most stubborn executive in gaming, he refuses to admit why the Wii U has failed, and when he does admit the mistakes he does little to fix them, if anyone knows the Virtual Boy, they'd see a lot of eerie similarities between it and Wii U
Oh and by the way The Wii's success was a fluke because the people soon caught on to the gimmick about Wii, and I guess it just got stale, and after that the system's sales dropped like a rock, (Of course once the prices were cut on the PS3 and Xbox 360, those didn't help the Wii either, I mean when you consider all that the PS3 and the similar price to the Wii, , the customers chose the PS3 because it could do more for about the same price), AND Nintendo needs to accept Third parties and encourage indie developrs to develop games for them, plus focusing on the core audience would really help to boost sales too.

Zachary the Master

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1177-7152-1947
Look, saying no wont change my opinion, and none of those games would make me buy a Wii U. My Wii is just fine. And Mariokart 8 hasnt even been released. Also, two words: Megaman 10

Last edited:
Top Bottom