• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How much melee do you play/do you have a significant other?

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
I was eating chips and I got curious about the correlation

I don't really play melee, but I watch videos every day

And I have a girlfriend at the moment

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
The no correlation claims are just wrong. There's no causation but plenty of correlation.

I have a girlfriend of 4 months, I play about every other day normally between 1-2.5 hours. Occasionally I'll have disgusting 6-7 hour sessions. If being whipped is favoring to be with someone you're supposed to enjoy rather than practicing tech skill than yes I'm helllllla whipped loool.
I enjoy both thoroughly.

One could easily argue that:
1. those with significant other's play less on average, unless it is a long term relationship (i.e. if you just started dating someone they won't like you practicing your ledge dashes for 4 hours a day)
2. those who average large amounts of play time are less likely to have a significant other

Take it for what it is.

finalark

SNORLAX
I haven't played Melee in years and I'm not dating anyone at the moment.

Believe it or not, dorks can date too as long as they don't let their hobbies take priority over their significant other.

Boat Mode

Smash Journeyman
The best is when you're in a long term relationship and you break her down so much shes willing to play melee with you because you play too much.

The best might not be the best, and might actually be my current life situation.

S l o X

Smash Champion
I work (30ish hours a week) and live with my girlfriend and I make room for Melee whenever I can. If you love any hobby, you'll make time for it no matter what.

Also my girlfriend is super cool so that helps. She's entering Zenith, rofl.

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
I played all the time when I was dating a girl for about 2 years, and she never played. It's hard to find, but there are girls out there who will let you do whatever you want with your time

Comatose

Smash Apprentice
I play melee for about an hour a day, and every other weekend I usually have a 6-12 hour smash fest with friends. On top of that, I'm in a long term relationship.

She not only allows my smash addiction to exist, she encourages it :) She refuses to let me so much as text her while hanging out with my friends, playing smash. And this is not a developed tolerance or a realization that it is impossible to keep me from smash, and has simply given in. This has miraculously been from day 1 of the relationship :) The first weekend, in fact, I had a 12 hour smash fest, and after she found out I was at a friend's house (as I was texting her at the time) she sends me a text telling me to go play with the guys, and that it's important for me to have my guy time.

I will never forget my friends reaction to that text, as he decided to read my text while I was in the middle of a match haha.

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
I played more when I was walking distance from my gf in college (~5 hours a week excluding tournaments), but I also had a roommate who played smash and now I don't. Currently long distance and working full time, haven't been playing as much on the weekdays but I end up going to more tournaments... can't hang out with a gf that isn't there =(

Basically, gf affected how often I'd go to tournaments on weekends (we'd have go places or w/e), but didn't really affect how much I played outside of that. For that, factors such as access to players / work schedule affect me more. Don't see how gf / smash could be an issue unless you're super busy, have a demanding gf, or play way too much, which are all unhealthy imo.

I play melee for about an hour a day, and every other weekend I usually have a 6-12 hour smash fest with friends. On top of that, I'm in a long term relationship.

She not only allows my smash addiction to exist, she encourages it :) She refuses to let me so much as text her while hanging out with my friends, playing smash. And this is not a developed tolerance or a realization that it is impossible to keep me from smash, and has simply given in. This has miraculously been from day 1 of the relationship :) The first weekend, in fact, I had a 12 hour smash fest, and after she found out I was at a friend's house (as I was texting her at the time) she sends me a text telling me to go play with the guys, and that it's important for me to have my guy time.

I will never forget my friends reaction to that text, as he decided to read my text while I was in the middle of a match haha.
Oh. My. God. You'd think more people would be like this because it's the most logical / healthy thing (given the guy or girl doesn't have unhealthy hobbies) but it's really rare to find people who are so chill / understanding. Good find!

Battlecow

Play to Win
I work (30ish hours a week) and live with my girlfriend and I make room for Melee whenever I can. If you love any hobby, you'll make time for it no matter what.

Also my girlfriend is super cool so that helps. She's entering Zenith, rofl.
He's got the juice.

Top Bottom