• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS How much data can a 3DS card hold?

R0Y

Smash Master
I doubt a 3DS card is any more expensive than a Wii U disc, because Blu-Ray is expensive, and Wii U discs are a modified Blu-Ray format, making them rarer and technically more valuable than a standard Blu-Ray disc, even though a standard Blu-Ray disc holds more data.
Blu-ray discs are not expensive. Sure there's a licensing fee, which Nintendo pays wholly to Panasonic with their not-Blu-ray discs. the actually cost of materials is EXTREMELY low, lower than a flash chip on a circuit board.
I think this misconception comes from when the PS3 launched, most HD and even some later Wii games rose to $60 US. That has a lot to do with the Blu-ray being new (very low production volumes) and the PS3 being sold at a $300+ loss at the beginning.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Blu-ray discs are not expensive. Sure there's a licensing fee, which Nintendo pays wholly to Panasonic with their not-Blu-ray discs. the actually cost of materials is EXTREMELY low, lower than a flash chip on a circuit board.
I think this misconception comes from when the PS3 launched, most HD and even some later Wii games rose to $60 US. That has a lot to do with the Blu-ray being new (very low production volumes) and the PS3 being sold at a $300+ loss at the beginning.
Long tumblr posts with no references are not good references.

Not saying you're wrong as I really don't know any better myself, but this tumblr post doesn't tell me anything.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
Long-*** tumblr posts with know references are not good references.

Not saying you're wrong as I really don't know any better myself, but this tumblr post doesn't tell me anything.
Yeah that was the wrong one I was looking for. I wonder if she took it down, she works in the localization industry.
On top of raw higher manufacturing costs (which are something that don't need a source really), every 3DS card is made in a cue set by Nintendo and printed by Macronix in Taiwan. They then have to be shipped all around the western world and Japan, whereas Panasonic's not-a-Blu-rays are bought in huge mass from Japan and can be produced in every region cheaply.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Huh, well I just learned that the swear filter on this website is a lot stricter than I thought it might be.

Well as I said, I don't know any better myself, but that still doesn't fully convince me. Seems like an over simplification of the process really.

But I think it's irrelevant, as Nintendo WOULD be willing to produce full 8GB cards for Smash.

R0Y

Smash Master
Huh, well I just learned that the swear filter on this website is a lot stricter than I thought it might be.

Well as I said, I don't know any better myself, but that still doesn't fully convince me. Seems like an over simplification of the process really.

But I think it's irrelevant, as Nintendo WOULD be willing to produce full 8GB cards for Smash.
Nintendo wouldn't be the ones producing the cards, but yes, if any game took up the full 8 GB, I'd imagine it'd be a first-party title. Don't expect bigger than a 2 or 4 GB game though.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm expecting no smaller than 4GB, actually. Nintendo can always offer a bigger payment to those producing the cards for this one game, to accommodate for the extra cost.

In the end, I don't really care about the actual file size of the game is as long as it at least in or around on Brawl's level of game content.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
I'm expecting no smaller than 4GB, actually. Nintendo can always offer a bigger payment to those producing the cards for this one game, to accommodate for the extra cost.

In the end, I don't really care about the actual file size of the game is as long as it at least in or around on Brawl's level of game content.
Yeah I could see it being large, remember that a ton of Brawl's size was lightly-compressed FMV.

ecylisis

Smash Apprentice
Well i didn't mean for that to sound like it was official,but there has only been pics of him walking around with 3.(from what I have seen)
Yeah, he's only been seen with three, but it's never been conirmed that's the limit. He's only been in a few pic of the days too.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well they confirmed the stages will only have two tracks each s that'll be much smaller than Brawl.

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
and made sure the stages dont have to much going on

Sandfall

Stage Designer
and made sure the stages dont have to much going on
Stages won't be an issue. The combined file size of all the stages in Brawl was about 160 MB (for 75 total .pac files!). This includes the stages that have multiple versions like Spear Pillar or Smashville (they had separate files for each stage).

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
so 75 - 41 stages = 34 minus 1 for Mushroomy Kingdom =33 minus 2 for Spear Pilar= 31 differnt variations of Smashville?

Damn son. (unless I'm missing something.)

Sandfall

Stage Designer
so 75 - 41 stages = 34 minus 1 for Mushroomy Kingdom =33 minus 2 for Spear Pilar= 31 differnt variations of Smashville?

Damn son. (unless I'm missing something.)
Smashville has 5 different versions. You're also forgetting Shadow Moses Island which has 3 (one for Ray, Rex, and the Geckos). Lylat Cruise has one file for the ship and four more for the backgrounds it cycles through. Castle Siege uses four different files, one for each stage layout (including the transition one). There's also the Online Training Room, the Results Screen (yes, the game considers that a stage), all 5 target tests, home run contests, etc. It also has duplicates of some stages on the disc (I'm assuming they changed something between the English and Japanese Versions).

The only reason I know this is because I make stage mods and I have a folder with all of the original Brawl stage files on my computer :p

Tenchi Boom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TenchiBoom
This thread has helped clear my worry that the new Smash will be limited because of the 3DS. Looks like we should get alot of content anyway. Yay!

proxibomb

Smash Clown
I have bought some game on the 3DS already, I have started to note that they take around 1 to 1.2 GB. Pokemon is the largest file with what looks to be nearly 2 GB. Imagine Smash Bros though, it probably has more data than Pokemon X and Y if we count the trophies and all. :chuckle:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Given that a 3DS card is bigger than Brawl's disc, it's safe to say Smash 4 could be the biggest game on the 3DS. Of course, that pales in comparison to the Wii U version's 25GB disc.

BioZelink

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Biozelink
3DS FC
4811-7130-3977
Even if the 3DS version has lots of pre-rendered cutscenes (such as character endings like in Tekken, which I am hoping both versions have), it won't be a big hit, as the cutscenes will be severely compressed on 3DS. Just look at Sonic Lost World on 3DS (pre-rendered cutscene at the 0:12 mark):

What people are forgetting, is that this game will have a 3D effect (as far as we know. We could get an announcement stating otherwise, but so far, we haven't). That will effect the game's memory usage, as it means the game needs to render twice the amount of frames. Unless they cap the frame rate at 30FPS for when you have 3D on, and let it run at 60FPS when 3D is off.
They already said it will run in 60fps in the direct, didn't you pay attention?

Also the 3ds card size as of now is 8 gb, that's the biggest one that is being use right now, one of the new updates added ability to actually use even bigger cards, i think the limit now is 32.
Also Brawl with all of it's content was less then 8GB.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
They already said it will run in 60fps in the direct, didn't you pay attention?

Also the 3ds card size as of now is 8 gb, that's the biggest one that is being use right now, one of the new updates added ability to actually use even bigger cards, i think the limit now is 32.
Also Brawl with all of it's content was less then 8GB.
That post of mine you quoted was made on March 22nd, before the direct. Didn't you pay attention?

R0Y

Smash Master
At this point, from what we've seen, I'm predicting a 2 GB card.

3DS cards max at 8 but 6 GB (if they exist) and 8 GB cards have never been used before. I imagine they're very expensive, especially for a game sold at a lower, dedicated handheld price.

So maybe a 4 GB, which would make it only the 3rd 3DS game like that, after Resident Evil: Revelations, MGS3D, and apparently (not sure) game called New Love Plus.

File size of the 3DS version is going to be smaller than Brawl (almost 8 GB,) there's no way around that. But much of Brawl's file size was FMV and music.

i think the limit now is 32.
No...that's more than a Wii U optical disc (which comes in one size and is cheaper to make.) It'd be a waste of time to update for a spec that'll never be used on 3DS. With Nintendo encouraging digital downloads as well, that's a hell of a lot to download.

3DS game cards are not like flash-based SD cards, which, if you want to pay $100+ USD, you can get a blank 128 GB of. They actually still have a bit in common with N64 cartridges, at least the ROM chips and separate EEPROM or Flash for saves (a lot of N64 games it was battery-backed SRAM instead.) There's no need for bigger cards when the biggest games max out at 4 GB. Not to mention, Resident Evil: Revelations, the original title of the 2 (MGS3D and maybe New Love Plus being the others), deserved much better sales. I bought both, great titles, though MGS HD collection on PS360 is a way better deal.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Usually, as I read on TVTropes, the SSE is removed from black-market disks to fit the game on a single-layer DVD, which can only hold up to 4GB. That should give you a good idea just how much space not having the SSE will save.

I think SSB3DS will be around that size if not less; probably less due to the reduced song count. The Wii U version will obviously be much larger, in no small part due to the high polygon and song counts.

Top Bottom