• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS How much data can a 3DS card hold?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
What's the file size of a 3DS card? I'm asking out of curiosity mostly but also to speculate on how big Smash 3DS will be. The stages seem to reuse more assets than the WiiU version so that may save space.

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't know if this is accurate, I just quickly Googled it and chose the first result which stated that they can be up to 8 GB.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Intresting... Brawl itself was just over 8gigs and most of that was pre-rendered cutscenes.

I guess we don't have to worry about anything.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
There was never any worry with the 3DS's storage space when you compare it to Brawls data. Unless of course Sakurai decided to double the amount of content. All is well.

Even if Sakurai decided to up the songs from 300 t0 400 or a character roster of 60 we should still be fine and no way all that's happening. It's music and FMV that takes up the most space anyway.

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
wouldnt it be possible to have smash to be on a bigger card? didnt the PS vita's cards get bigger over time as well?

S

Sharic X

I have it on mine as well, but even compressed by Dolphin it's still over 7.2 gigs. It could easily have been smaller if the music had been compressed, though.
Ok, I checked again and it is 6.92 GB. Look:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
This is a long shot, but knowing Sakurai, it wouldn't be incredibly surprising if Sakurai had some up and coming 3DS card memory expansion or something of the like (the cartridge equivalent of a dual-layer disc) so he could push the system/game's limits. The only cutscenes I need are the opening scene and a melee style Special Video, which I absolutely loved and still do to this day

Thor

Smash Champion
He already said no SSE (I think) - that should remove a lot of the cutscenes and free up at least *some* data space. Also since I'm not sure the graphics are a strict "upgrade" compared to Brawl it's possible it won't be extremely data intensive in that regard either.

Cut boss battles and you remove a whole bunch of stuff too (at least one full mode and all the boss data). I'm not saying these are popular choices but I can also say they are probably feasible. I would actually like event battles to stay but even those could leave if needed to improve core gameplay (classic and multiplayer modes). Unless he's already made announcements saying that these modes will stay. Then cool for us (I like boss battles too but not as much).

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
He definitely said no SSE, which is fine. I enjoyed it for what it was but that much space can be used for other things.
I'd like to see bosses other than Master/Crazy Hand, but as long as those two stay I'd be fine with that. But Event Matches should stay. They should definitely be more original like how Melee's were, but they should stay. It'll be intersting to see how he delegates memory

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
Not only do we still have .6 more gigs than brawl, but the graphics are worse and there is no SSE, so we can expect to get more content then Brawl for sure.

JetpackX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JetpackX
3DS FC
0877-2713-1529
Brawl was about 8GB, and a 3DS card can hold 8GB. Sakurai said no SSE, so that should mean more space for the 3DS game.

Nautilus

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3308-5000-4410
From my experience, the game itself doesn't always match up with the iso size. I noticed that a lot of regular wii games, like NSMB, had a 4 gig ISO until they were compressed to just the game. So I dunno how much I trust any of these screenshots.

The Brawl I play from my USB Stick is about 6 and a half. I know for sure it plays on a usb stick that has a maximum storage space of around 7 and a half, too.

Might look up the more detailed explanation later, since i'm pretty dang uneducated about this.

I think if you're looking to specs limitations on the 3ds, then storage space isn't the place to look. Did they have to cut anything out when they ported Tales of The Abyss, by the by?

Last edited:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I don't know if this is accurate, I just quickly Googled it and chose the first result which stated that they can be up to 8 GB.
Source? I don't know either but I've always been led to believe the largest game cartridges they make are 4GB.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
If you guys still have concerns over the 3DS version this article: http://tay.kotaku.com/challenger-approaching-special-how-limiting-is-the-3-1161037380 from an older thread clarifies a lot of concerns.
This is still a misconception on one part. There are two different types of limitations here we're talking about here: game data size and technical.

The 3DS version will not have any problems regarding game data size because cartridges can handle up to 8 GB of data. The game won't have pre-rendered cutscenes or a story mode so there's more room to put in other content. Therefore, we don't have to worry how much characters, stages, soundtrack, and other content will there be in both versions. As long as they can optimize and compress the data, there won't be any problems regarding this.

Now, there's technical limitations, where people don't seem to get still. The 3DS's processing capabilities are obviously weaker than the Wii U and weaker on some parts than the original Wii. I'm not much of a tech savvy, but many say that the CPU is notably weak, and so performance will definitely be a challenge.

In other words, do you really think the 3DS version can handle four Olimars with each Pikmin having different AI with items on high on an animated-intensive stage at 60 frames per second? Probably not based on the current gameplay we've seen so far. On the other hand, it's possible, but you would have to downgrade the graphics in order for that to happen. Thus, if the 3DS struggles handling Olimar, the Wii U won't have Olimar either since both versions need the same characters.

insomniac19

Smash Journeyman
@ ChibiIceClimberz ChibiIceClimberz Yeah, I never thought about that limitation. However actually thinking about it now I don't believe there would necessarily be much of an issue. When I think about taxing games, in regards to technical limitations, I automatically think of Kingdom Hearts 3D. There would be at times, enough enemies to fill the screen, all in beautiful colors and wonderfully modeled with effects from your abilities and what not blaring out constantly and there were only rare occurrences of lag. Even with 3D on it was barely an issue.

Now thinking about Smash, a 2.5D game where the models are limited to only x and y directions (strictly character speaking), and where there wouldn't necessarily be enough action going on to fit the screen, I really have no doubts in the developers ability to avoid most if not all issues so that we have a wonderful playing experience. (Holy long sentence)

Then again when I play Pokemon Y I get immense lag like you wouldn't believe in battles when the 3D is on. So in terms of being able to handle any game, I guess all it comes down to is the developers.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
@ ChibiIceClimberz ChibiIceClimberz Yeah, I never thought about that limitation. However actually thinking about it now I don't believe there would necessarily be much of an issue. When I think about taxing games, in regards to technical limitations, I automatically think of Kingdom Hearts 3D. There would be at times, enough enemies to fill the screen, all in beautiful colors and wonderfully modeled with effects from your abilities and what not blaring out constantly and there were only rare occurrences of lag. Even with 3D on it was barely an issue.

Now thinking about Smash, a 2.5D game where the models are limited to only x and y directions (strictly character speaking), and where there wouldn't necessarily be enough action going on to fit the screen, I really have no doubts in the developers ability to avoid most if not all issues so that we have a wonderful playing experience. (Holy long sentence)

Then again when I play Pokemon Y I get immense lag like you wouldn't believe in battles when the 3D is on. So in terms of being able to handle any game, I guess all it comes down to is the developers.
Pokemon X/Y ran fine with the 3D off, and other games run fine with it's on...
Though I don't know why it's a problem with Y/X (Want the best lag? Turn it on during a Oorotto horde battle, you can count the frames on your fingers).

Last edited:

jacobj77

Smash Rookie
Would the lack of performing capability on the 3ds be the reason that olimar has only 3 Pikmin?

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I'm not worried at all about the data part of Smash 3DS. If the Nintendo 3DS truly couldn't hand Super Smash Bros. then a 3DS version would never have been announced. One example I can think of the 3DS game that heavily plagiarizes Super Smash Bros. called Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion. That game was extremely close to the SSB formula, had 18 playable characters, and 21 stages (plus 11 story mode stages) and the game is a little less than 512 MB in ROM size. Smash 3DS already has more characters than Punch Time Explosion with much more detailed graphics and mechanics and so far no problems. Plus the N64 had a Super Smash Bros. and that system is much weaker than the 3DS (and Smash 64 was only 12 MB).

So 8 GB would be plenty enough for a crap ton of content.

SmasherP83

Smash Ace
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
Well i didn't mean for that to sound like it was official,but there has only been pics of him walking around with 3.(from what I have seen)
He may have more still. I guess Sakurai wants to keep us in suspense.

Smash Ace
I'm not too worried, frankly. If they can put sounds, data, and animations for over 700 Pokemon and then 700 attacks into a single 3DS card, I'm not too worried about their ability to put around 50 characters in a game.

just sayin'.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Pokemon X/Y ran fine with the 3D off, and other games run fine with it's on...
Though I don't know why it's a problem with Y/X (Want the best lag? Turn it on during a Oorotto horde battle, you can count the frames on your fingers).
I think it had something to do with XY's Pokemon models having an absolutely ridiculous Polygon count.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._the_wind_waker_hd_will_take_up_on_your_wii_u

Less than 2GB for WW remastered, and similar amounts for SM3DW. I doubt Smash on Wii U will bust 10GB without cutscenes.
I want 5GB of music if that's the case.

Last edited:

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
8 GB cartridges probably cost a lot more to produce than 4 and 2 gigabyte cartridges.
That said, SSE Took at least 2 Gigs (I think the precise file size is like 4.6 or something) with cgi cutscenes and the like, so it doesn't really matter if a 4gb cartridge is used.

(i believe pokemon xy used 2 gigs)

edit: yes, they were 1.7 gigs in size so 2 gig carts were used.

Last edited:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I'm expectin Smash3D to be about 4-6 gigs which would make it much bigger then Melee(2.5 gigs) and around the size of Brawl.

so yeah, we good.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
I'm expectin Smash3D to be about 4-6 gigs which would make it much bigger then Melee(2.5 gigs) and around the size of Brawl.

so yeah, we good.
Melee was 1.2 gigabytes. Gamecube discs could only hold up to 1.5 i think.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
For the record, there's Brawl isos floating around that take off the cutscenes from the disk for a smaller filesize.

They're under 4gb (I think it was 3.8), and fully playable. (except for the cutscenes, obviously.)

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It occurred to me, Smash 4 will have videos as Sakurai said all the new character trailers would be available for viewing.

Fortunately so far I only count 8 minutes and 4 seconds of trailer (including Sonic's one) so that's a lot shorter than Brawl's 57 minutes.

And that's an average of 1 m 28 seconds per newcomer (not including Sonic's trailer) So unless there's 38 newcomers we won't have Brawl's level of footage.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
It occurred to me, Smash 4 will have videos as Sakurai said all the new character trailers would be available for viewing.

Fortunately so far I only count 8 minutes and 4 seconds of trailer (including Sonic's one) so that's a lot shorter than Brawl's 57 minutes.

And that's an average of 1 m 28 seconds per newcomer (not including Sonic's trailer) So unless there's 38 newcomers we won't have Brawl's level of footage.
I just want to say that I still want the Intro cutscene of the game to be EPIC and I want Intro/Outro cutscenes for the characters' Adventure Modes.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Even if the 3DS version has lots of pre-rendered cutscenes (such as character endings like in Tekken, which I am hoping both versions have), it won't be a big hit, as the cutscenes will be severely compressed on 3DS. Just look at Sonic Lost World on 3DS (pre-rendered cutscene at the 0:12 mark):

What people are forgetting, is that this game will have a 3D effect (as far as we know. We could get an announcement stating otherwise, but so far, we haven't). That will effect the game's memory usage, as it means the game needs to render twice the amount of frames. Unless they cap the frame rate at 30FPS for when you have 3D on, and let it run at 60FPS when 3D is off.

R0Y

Smash Master
The absolute limit as of now is 8 GB, but I seriously doubt that is a hardware limit the 3DS can read and it might be theoretically even higher. It's doubtful we'll see bigger cards than 4 GB (RE: Revelations, MGS 3D) just because of the costs involved. 3DS cards are quite expensive compared to discs.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The absolute limit as of now is 8 GB, but I seriously doubt that is a hardware limit the 3DS can read and it might be theoretically even higher. It's doubtful we'll see bigger cards than 4 GB (RE: Revelations, MGS 3D) just because of the costs involved. 3DS cards are quite expensive compared to discs.
I doubt a 3DS card is any more expensive than a Wii U disc, because Blu-Ray is expensive, and Wii U discs are a modified Blu-Ray format, making them rarer and technically more valuable than a standard Blu-Ray disc, even though a standard Blu-Ray disc holds more data.

Top Bottom