• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How might i go about getting good?

DylantheNinja

Smash Cadet
I live in the middle of bum**** nowhere (I used stars on purpose there). There aren't any tournaments in the area. I go to Kansas City often, but I really don't feel like paying to play in a tournament for fun/ to get better. No one around here is really any good at smash, and I would like the chance to play some halfway decent people. How d you suppose I can get better in the mean time? Also as a side note, if you are pretty good to pro, and are willing, can I wifi battle you? I especially want to fight a pro just to see how I fare, and what I can work on. Please help me out.

MMZJSFMMX10MM

Smash Cadet
If there are no challenging people, then you could try setting up challenging situations or match-ups with CPUs (level 9). Know your character's weaknesses and choose a few CPUs to team up on that weakness. Learn to beat that, then try another set up.

The other option is to play some good people online.

Negi-Kun

Smash Lord
If you want to get good but aren't willing to go to a tournaments, the you WON'T.

Tournaments are a lot of fun, man. You learn a lot from good players just from Brawling them. You have to have the drive to go to a tournament. Either you get good, or play MetaKnight just lose all the time.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Watch matches until you dream about them. That's your best hope if you can't get a crew.

Nicole

Smash Champion
PLAY in those tournaments you don't want to pay to enter. Pay money to play in them. You will lose, but you'll get better, trust me.

I know a few KC people myself, they're pretty nice guys! You should talk on the KC/Lawrence thread in the Tournament area. Go to "regional" and then pick "midwest" and you'll see it. Next time you're in KC, play some friendlies with those guys!

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I can see where you are coming from though as far as not going into tournaments.

I am under the assumption that it is too expensive on your budget to enter a big city tourney for a play to learn experience. I understand.. I am in highschool and sadly have no job anymore.. (the place I worked shut down when business wasn't good enough.. :( )

I can't afford to go to tournaments that are in my city because for me it just isn't worth it to go in and lose to people in Rochester NY much better than me. Basically I am paying money that I really need for more important things to lose and play friendlies.

Luckily for me there is also a local place near me that hosts Smashfests every couple of weeks that is more under my budget (and worth it because the place has literally any popular PC game available for play on like 30 comps around the place :p )

All I can suggest is going to your regional board and PMing some local people to do some WiFi matches.
Maybe somebody close to you even does Smash events at their house or a small building that you can get yourself invited to while you get ready for your first tourney.

irvine25

Smash Rookie
That's right. When you have the means to play online, then please do so. You will be able to find challenging players there. They can offer you lots of fits.

Top Bottom