• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many Pikmin can be summoned?

Wiseguy

Smash Champion

Captain Olimar joins the fray with five colors of Pikmin in tow!
As the Dojo says, Olimar can summon all five different types of Pikmin. But how many Pikmin can he have at one time? The most ever shown in a screenshot thus far is five, but I am personally hoping for more. As much as I'd LOVE to be able to grow 100 minions at a time (like in the actual Pikmin games) that's proabably not happening.

How many Pikmin do you think Olimar can use?

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
I'm guessing 5, but the order of the pikmin you pick will be random. For example, one set of 5 draws may get you Red, Yellow, Purple, White, and Blue. The next set of 5 would give you White, Blue, Red, Purple, and Yellow.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
I'm guessing 5, but the order of the pikmin you pick will be random. For example, one set of 5 draws may get you Red, Yellow, Purple, White, and Blue. The next set of 5 would give you White, Blue, Red, Purple, and Yellow.
That makes sense, I guess. I would be fine with five, as long they can survive a few hits. If there were, say, a maximaum of twenty they would likely balance this advantage by making them super EASY to kill.

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935
As none of the screenshots show two Pikmin of the same colour, I'm going with this.

Zek

Smash Ace
I'm assuming that you can only have 5, and one of each color. Who knows though. My guess from the screenshots is that the Pikmin will follow you in a line, and your attacks will use whichever of them is in the front then send him to the back.

DeChTu

Smash Apprentice
While I'd say it'd be cool to be able to have 25 or so. I have a feeling 5 will be it, I take awareness that it said there were 5 different times, but I have to wonder whether or not Sakurai will even take the different kinds of Pikmin and their abilities into account. Will red be able to stand against the likes of Bowser and Charizard, will the blue be able to stand up against Squirtle's water attacks? I have a feeling they may just be the 5 different colors, but other than that there are no differences, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

TheBert

Smash Rookie
I would think that you would have 5, one of each colour. Assuming the Pikmin run out of stamina/get knocked off the stage at different times, plucking a new one would give you the colour of pikmin you just lost. So if your blue was tossed and then got knocked off, if you made another pikmin to take its place, it'd be a blue one.

This way you always have 1 pikmin of each colour.

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
Regarding on the 5 again, Sakurai stated that they scatter easily. Seeing that you look to only be able to carry 5, I bet if you attempted to pick a 6th pikmin the 1st pikmin you originally picked (lol) would scatter. Or the move simply wouldn't work again until one of your mates scattered or was killed.

Slightly off topic, the song we got today is addictive :)

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
While I'd say it'd be cool to be able to have 25 or so. I have a feeling 5 will be it, I take awareness that it said there were 5 different times, but I have to wonder whether or not Sakurai will even take the different kinds of Pikmin and their abilities into account. Will red be able to stand against the likes of Bowser and Charizard, will the blue be able to stand up against Squirtle's water attacks? I have a feeling they may just be the 5 different colors, but other than that there are no differences, but I'd love to be proven wrong.
At the very least, I would expect the Purple pikmin to be super heavy and inflict greater damage when thrown. I wouldn't be surprised to see other unique attributes, though.

It seems to me, though that the low polygon count of the Pikmin themselves (who don't have anywhere's near the detail of Olimar) could point to greater than five Pikmin. That way, if there were large numbers of Pikmin there wouldn't be any danger of the game slowing down (this is particularily important during online play). Maybe he only STARTS with five Pikmin?

DMAJohnson

Smash Journeyman
Judging from the screenshots, it looks like he doesn't "pull" them up like in the Pikmin games, and instead he starts with all five, ala Nana. A pity, though, because I would really like an endless stream of the awesome little critters. :3

DeChTu

Smash Apprentice
At the very least, I would expect the Purple pikmin to be super heavy and inflict greater damage when thrown. I wouldn't be surprised to see other unique attributes, though.

It seems to me, though that the low polygon count of the Pikmin themselves (who don't have anywhere's near the detail of Olimar) could point to greater than five Pikmin. That way, if there were large numbers of Pikmin there wouldn't be any danger of the game slowing down (this is particularily important during online play). Maybe he only STARTS with five Pikmin?
Like I said I hope I'm wrong, and I also took note of the not high quality (not terrible either) quality of the Pikmin. If it is anymore than 20 or so, I worry for the speed of the game (although I'm not terribly into technical stuff, so I don' t know the Wii's limits), because imagine if there were 4 Olimars with 25 Pikmin each thats 100 Pikmin, but then again, as long as they all follow basic AI and just follow Olimar till he uses them, then I guess they could just follow him. After all, I'm sure Olimar in the Pikmin games was able to have 100 or so Pikmin. Thus, I just disproved myself. But, like I said I really doubt each Pikmin will have its own unique traits. Could someone remind me what the white ones did again?

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Like I said I hope I'm wrong, and I also took note of the not high quality (not terrible either) quality of the Pikmin. If it is anymore than 20 or so, I worry for the speed of the game (although I'm not terribly into technical stuff, so I don' t know the Wii's limits), because imagine if there were 4 Olimars with 25 Pikmin each thats 100 Pikmin, but then again, as long as they all follow basic AI and just follow Olimar till he uses them, then I guess they could just follow him. After all, I'm sure Olimar in the Pikmin games was able to have 100 or so Pikmin. Thus, I just disproved myself. But, like I said I really doubt each Pikmin will have its own unique traits. Could someone remind me what the white ones did again?
The whites are resistant to poison, are super small and fast, and take out damage when consumed by an enemy. If he had abilities, in Smash I expect the white would be imune to Wario's fart and inflict damage if eaten by Yoshi, Kirby, ect.

DeChTu

Smash Apprentice
The whites are resistant to poison, are super small and fast, and take out damage when consumed by an enemy. If he had abilities, in Smash I expect the white would be imune to Wario's fart and inflict damage if eaten by Yoshi, Kirby, ect.
With all this talk, I'm going to be really disappointed if they don't have abilities. *sigh*

Blue - resistant to Squirtle.
Red - resistant to Charizard and Bowser.
Yellow - give Olimar more of a jump, maybe effecting his B Up as well (if more than one is possible)
Purple - act as a less powerful Bonsly?
White - poison to Kirby, Yoshi, Dedede, as well as Wario immunity.

Plus, imagine if Kirby could also take those abilities from each one, except White Pikmin hat may result in a slow poisoned Kirby until he gets rid of the hat.

On another note, if these happen, I wonder if Ivysaur, Charizard, and Squirtle will have a rock/paper/scissors deal, elemental weaknesses would give the game a unique twist, especially since Pokémon Trainer can recover by just switching pokémon.

Top Bottom