• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many people really use zelda?

T0MMY

Smash Master
**SPOILER ALERT**
Sheik is Zelda. Go play Ocarina of Time and see the plot twist there.

As for playing as both Zelda and Sheik within one match, I usually see people try to recover as Sheik even though they know they can't make it back instead of turning into Zelda and teleporting back. It's because their game with Zelda is weak and they'll just get KO'd and have to be Zelda in the beginning of their next stock (turning back into Sheik leaves them vulnerable).
When I was using Zelda at SCC, I would start off as Sheik, rack up the damage with combos and needles, and if I happened to need the Zelda recovery, I'd down+B, teleport back and stay with Zelda for a while because....
1)Zelda seems to live longer, heavier, floatier, and better recovery
2)I can get in my F-air/B-air and rack up damage or KO them before my stock was over
3)for some reason, people had a harder time playing against Zelda than Sheik

When that stock was finally taken out, I'd come down as Zelda, not switch to Sheik (which usually caught them by surprise, because they would try to get me when my invisibility was canceled if I down+B) and I'd rough them up with Zelda, usually taking off their next stock. When they respawned I'd switch to Sheik, charge up my needles (if I hadn't already before switching to Zelda, because you keep the charge if you die as Zelda). And rack up more damage.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
**SPOILER ALERT**

As for playing as both Zelda and Sheik within one match, I usually see people try to recover as Sheik even though they know they can't make it back instead of turning into Zelda and teleporting back. It's because their game with Zelda is weak and they'll just get KO'd and have to be Zelda in the beginning of their next stock (turning back into Sheik leaves them vulnerable).
When I was using Zelda at SCC, I would start off as Sheik, rack up the damage with combos and needles, and if I happened to need the Zelda recovery, I'd down+B, teleport back and stay with Zelda for a while because....
2)I can get in my F-air/B-air and rack up damage or KO them before my stock was over

When that stock was finally taken out, I'd come down as Zelda, not switch to Sheik (which usually caught them by surprise, because they would try to get me when my invisibility was canceled if I down+B) and I'd rough them up with Zelda, usually taking off their next stock. When they respawned I'd switch to Sheik, charge up my needles (if I hadn't already before switching to Zelda, because you keep the charge if you die as Zelda). And rack up more damage.
that works on people who underestimate low tiers and assume they cant do anything instead of looking for all the holes in their game they can exploit. im sure youve already experienced that with your pichu.

Binx

Smash Master
**SPOILER ALERT**

Tommy wins

Dr.Peabody

Smash Journeyman
im not saying it is. i am just saying sheik is a better character in every way. in no way does the fact that she isnt the best at something mean that she cant do it. im just trying to explain why she is bad to main. i play her in friendlies, she is fun to play. that doesnt make her a good character.

for the record, floaty doesnt mean you cant be comboed. in fact, floaties can be comboed very well by like any character. also, dins fire is probably the worst projectile in the game, fsmash is slow, dair is the worst meteor in the game (i could sweetspot the edge with marth out of that at over 100%) , nair is fairly worthless (besides maybe trying to escape combos, like peach's nair), and nayru's love sucks compared to cape/shine (start-up and lag times are really bad, easily punished by anyone that uses projectiles).
For the record, it seems as if you don't know how Zelda is played.

Of course, floaty doesn't mean u CAN'T be comboed, but it does make it a bit more difficult. This is because you can DI into the air, even at low %'s, throw them off balance with a nair, or completely punish them with a b/fair.

Also, the dair is not useful, and shouldnt be employed, as a meteor. wtf. The dair is useful because of its priority. Try it against Sheik's uair, for example. You may be suprised.

And of course, compared to the cape or reflector, most everything sucks. Also, to me it seems you are implying using nayru's love as a projectile reflector, which is also not its main use. Due to its range, it can be quite useful for throwing off approaches, and as Tommy said, for edgegaurding.

If you watch some of the higher Zelda's, you may actually notice that they do use her fsmash, which really isnt that slow/laggy, and also can be quite good for edgeguarding.

All around, again as Tommy said, many people tend to have problems dealing with Zelda.

As Tommy said,

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
mayeb you should read the posts above me. someone actually said something about the dair beings used, and thats why i mentioned it. dair is the worst meteor. fsmash is about as slow as cf's fsmash. they still hit, im just saying. and when i was talking about nayru's love as a projectile reflector that was because someone mentioned that purpose of it. please dont take my stuff out of context.

and i will say it again, people have problems with low tiers for 2 reasons:

1) they have no experience with or against that character
2) they over estimate their char and underestimate the low tier thinking that they can do anything and their opponent can do nothing (which is not true at all) instead of actually looking for the massive holes in the low tier's game to exploit.

Dr.Peabody

Smash Journeyman
mayeb you should read the posts above me. someone actually said something about the dair beings used, and thats why i mentioned it. dair is the worst meteor. fsmash is about as slow as cf's fsmash. they still hit, im just saying. and when i was talking about nayru's love as a projectile reflector that was because someone mentioned that purpose of it. please dont take my stuff out of context.

and i will say it again, people have problems with low tiers for 2 reasons:

1) they have no experience with or against that character
2) they over estimate their char and underestimate the low tier thinking that they can do anything and their opponent can do nothing (which is not true at all) instead of actually looking for the massive holes in the low tier's game to exploit.
plz dont take my stuff out of context, either. :)

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
yes you have... if you would read my post you would see how out of context it was. you guys arent even arguing with me anymore, you are just saying one thing and when i rebut it you say "nuh uh, you can do something else with it" and just ignore my posts.

zelda is bottom tier. 'nuff said. im done arguing with nubs.

Sveet out.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
the only thing zelda has on sheik is the reflect thing. maybe her teleport for movement (i still think M2's is better :p). otherwise, sheik >>>>>> zelda.
Bair, fair, upair, and fsmash (a bit laggy, but extremely powerful, good for punishing mistakes). Upair especially on battlefield because the large hitbox allows you to attack through the stage without fear of being hit (whereas Sheik's fair and upair through the stage can be countered, especially by fox).

While them being technically better is debatible, they're useful in different situations then Sheiks air moves.

and the usmash being a threat... its not. it would only be a threat if it could be used consistantly to get at least 1 kill in say... every ten matches. to make it a threat in a tourney match you have to do it within the Bo3 (otherwise they wont even really consider it to be there). what im saying is, because of its inconsistency, it is not a useful move at any time, and that a million times greater consistancy is worth the slight knockback reduction in any case. once you can find me a marth that can do a usmash kill at least once every 10 matches, i will retract my statement about it being a completely useless move, but until then, that is exactly what it is.

You misunderstand what I mean by threat, think the chess, because of ability to attack a specific area, either you or your opponent avoids playing in a specific area or taking certain actions. The threat never ever needs to be carried out, not even over 1,000,000 games, in fact, if your opponent is good, it almost definately will not be carried out, because your opponent realizes (consciously or uncounsciously) that letting your carry out the threat would be extremely bad and will work around it, but at the same time, the actions that your opponent can take are limited because he/she does not want to trigger the threat. How often do you see people actually place themselves in a position where Marth can sweet spot an up-smash?

Granted, it's a small area, but large enough that presumably people would occassionally be in that area, how often are they there? As far as I've seen, almost never, especially on high-leveled matches.

I don't think anyone is arguing that she isn't bottom tier....

I am amused that somebody mentioned her pathetic dair as an advantage though.

T0MMY

Smash Master
that works on people who underestimate low tiers and assume they cant do anything instead of looking for all the holes in their game they can exploit. im sure youve already experienced that with your pichu.
What?? No, even people who have never played against a Pichu before naturally know exactly what to do. Everything works on Pichu. Marth just combos to F-smash tips, C. Falcon combos to knees, Fox combos to U-throw/U-smash (I don't ever get shine-spiked, personally, though), etc. etc. etc.
Zelda is on a whole other level. Things work well on her, but without experience you will have to test things out first, so a first match won't be too badly in your opponents' favor (besides, I switch between Zelda & Sheik quite a bit).

mayeb you should read the posts above me. someone actually said something about the dair beings used, and thats why i mentioned it. dair is the worst meteor.
It's better the better you get with it. I've pulled off the "Zelda spike" so many times, and it never gets old. It gets through Fox's Up+B, and that, in itself, is justified enough.

So, how about you argue with me, then?
Zelda is not bottom tier, she is top-tier. Her down+B alone is a great way to stand up to faster characters and a good way to rack up damage as Sheik. Bottom tier characters would include Pichu, Kirby, Bowser, and I guess I'd stick Mewtwo at the top of the trash heap there. Zelda is head and shoulders above those characters, even if you disregard transforming into Sheik.

I don't think anyone is arguing that she isn't bottom tier....

I am amused that somebody mentioned her pathetic dair as an advantage though.
I'm arguing she isn't bottom tier. And I think people who don't use her D-air need to get better.

I 2-0'd Hella's Peach with Zelda at SCC, I played as Sheik about half the time, and personally I felt I was doing better with Zelda, but I played it smart and used needles and some combos to build up some damage and utilized Zelda's recovery and KO'ing potential.

BTW, the D-air is good for a quick retreating attack out of shield, and it can be used to stun them on the ground so you can move in for another attack.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
tommy... i used to kinda have some respect for you, but not anymore. naturally low tiers have an advantage on someone who has never played vs that character, and an even bigger advantage on people who underestimate them.

1) zelda's meteor is so horrible. i think i said this before but i can easily meteor cancel it into a perfect sweetspot.

2) hella isnt good.

3) Zelda sucks, whichever of the crap tiers she is placed in.

4) if you jump out of shield and dair, you will not land on the ground or even finish the lag of the move before their stun is over, sorry to disappoint you.

5) why are you bringing up sheik to try and make us think zelda is better. they are different characters, and sheik being way better than zelda was the whole point of this debate.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
What?? No, even people who have never played against a Pichu before naturally know exactly what to do. Everything works on Pichu. Marth just combos to F-smash tips, C. Falcon combos to knees, Fox combos to U-throw/U-smash (I don't ever get shine-spiked, personally, though), etc. etc. etc.
Zelda is on a whole other level. Things work well on her, but without experience you will have to test things out first, so a first match won't be too badly in your opponents' favor (besides, I switch between Zelda & Sheik quite a bit).
Ok, fair enough, but stuff that works on other floaties does tend to work on Zelda, and once the surprise wears off, what do you have?

Down+B.

Switching is, as I said before, good mindgames, and Zelda has a nice threat versus projectile user (which they may or may not trigger), and teleport is situationally better for Zelda then Sheik (platform jumping ftw!), but overall, Zelda has a lot of style, but not too much substance. What she has substance in however, is worth switching Sheik out for her on a situational basis (if you're attempting to play to your fullest), as I was arguing, but she's not really a good standalone character.

It's better the better you get with it. I've pulled off the "Zelda spike" so many times, and it never gets old. It gets through Fox's Up+B, and that, in itself, is justified enough.
Hmmm, that's good to know, still, it's got a small hitbox, is very laggy, is a meteor smash, etc. Though, it's nice to know that Zelda has another situational use against Fox that Sheik doesn't (along with her being able to upair through the stage without fox potentially spiking her unlike Sheik), still, it's not really all that effective overall.

*Throws Dair into the possibly situationally useful pile*

Still, fair and bair are where it's at, you wouldn't happen to have a video of this spiking through fox's up+B, would you?

So, how about you argue with me, then?
Zelda is not bottom tier, she is top-tier. Her down+B alone is a great way to stand up to faster characters and a good way to rack up damage as Sheik. Bottom tier characters would include Pichu, Kirby, Bowser, and I guess I'd stick Mewtwo at the top of the trash heap there. Zelda is head and shoulders above those characters, even if you disregard transforming into Sheik.
Up+B is too laggy to work that way, it does have extensive uses but is not a replacement for running.

Oh, tier list is for the mentioned characters are in this order:

Bowser
Kirby
Pichu
Mewtwo

Which I completely agree with, Bowser get top of these cause L-canceling his arials helps a lot, as does Up+B to move. Kirby is second because most of his useful moves are suicides. Pichu hurts himself, lacks good killers, and dies too easily, and mewtwo can be comboed like nobody's business, and lacks almost any good killers except grabs and charged shadow balls (though, a very good nair is a feature).

Zelda is the top of the bottom tier, and frankly the best Zelda deserves, is Low tier MAYBE middle. Yeah, Sheik and Zelda are considered seperate characters, primarily because nobody changes freely competitively (that's a strong contender anyway).

Why is Zelda like this? She lacks a few things, good combos (most of her combos pretty much end with two moves, though, most of them end with biar or fair, so at reasonable percents, they kill, but they don't rack up damage well, which really illustrates that Sheik and Zelda were meant to compliment each other, not be independant), attack speed, resistance to knockback, movement speed, etc. She has powerful attacks in spades, but the trick is using them against a powerful opponent

Top tier..... no way, not even with Sheik, Fox and Falco are just way too far ahead of them, they have tricks to oppose them, that really nasty battlefield trick that Zelda does is an example. However, unless skill is significantly in Zelda/Sheik's favor, Fox is the obvious winner.

I'm arguing she isn't bottom tier. And I think people who don't use her D-air need to get better.
No, it's bad, I'll admit it may be situationally useful, but compared to, Marth's dair for example, there simply is not comparison. I'm not saying it's useless, a truly useless attack is rare indeed, but most of the spikes in the game are far better.

I 2-0'd Hella's Peach with Zelda at SCC, I played as Sheik about half the time, and personally I felt I was doing better with Zelda, but I played it smart and used needles and some combos to build up some damage and utilized Zelda's recovery and KO'ing potential.
Well, personal experience does not prove anything except over a large sample because certain playstyles tend towards certain characters, and skill ultimately decides every bout. You may very well play a better Zelda then Sheik, that does not make Zelda better then Sheik, just like me playing Sheik far better then Fox doesn't make Sheik better then Fox, I'm just not a good Fox player (that and Fox is extremely difficult to play properly).

BTW, the D-air is good for a quick retreating attack out of shield, and it can be used to stun them on the ground so you can move in for another attack.
So can most dairs, however shuffling a bair or fair tends to be move effective since they are faster, plus the stun really isn't long enough to justify it.

5) why are you bringing up sheik to try and make us think zelda is better. they are different characters, and sheik being way better than zelda was the whole point of this debate.
Well, whether Sheik and Zelda are different characters is debatable, however they can be played as one character, which is what both he and I attempt.

That said, I know that Zelda is far less power then Sheik, thus Zelda is the auxilery, used creatively to sow confusion and take advantage of situational advantages that Zelda can take advantage of, then I switch back when optimal.

That was really the point, that changing to Zelda sometimes nets an advantage.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Zelda has a separate moveset and separate tier placement which means she is a separate character. whether you play her as such is meaningless.

and dair is bad. when i said it was the worst meteor in the game i meant because of the speed it sends the opponent down. it would take well over 300%-400% before someone would have problems living from it. its speed lag and damage have very little relevance.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Zelda has a separate moveset and separate tier placement which means she is a separate character. whether you play her as such is meaningless.
I said, "is debatable", not that I would debate it.

and dair is bad. when i said it was the worst meteor in the game i meant because of the speed it sends the opponent down. it would take well over 300%-400% before someone would have problems living from it. its speed lag and damage have very little relevance.
Haven't really used it, just noticed lag from accidental uses when I began using Zelda.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
^ AGREED.

they honestly should've gave Zelda better moves and made Shiek a different character. Anyone could've called out the Shiek spammage we see so much of in the smash community.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
^ AGREED.

they honestly should've gave Zelda better moves and made Shiek a different character. Anyone could've called out the Shiek spammage we see so much of in the smash community.
i doubt they thought the game as far as weve gotten it to. they probably thought zelda would be better overall because her recovery, b moves, and fair/bair, but failed to think about combo-ability and general speed. from their point of view sheik would be the weak part of zelda with basically no good B moves and only relying on her A moves (which they made weaker kill wise so people would play zelda)

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
hmm. makes sense....

stuid still on the part of the developrs. Shes a ninja for christ's sake. SHe was bound to be overused eventually. They should have given her more power.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
hmm. makes sense....

stuid still on the part of the developrs. Shes a ninja for christ's sake. SHe was bound to be overused eventually. They should have given her more power.
Two words, "rushed game".

I tend to think that they were meant to be used as one character, but the change time is unfortunately too long and leaves you too vulnerable for constantly changing to be effective. That said, knowing when to change and doing it selectively has it's advantages.

IC3R

Smash Lord
I used to play a really mean Zelda...

DOUBLE LIGHTNING KICK!!! FTW?!?!

That was my favorite damage-racking combo at the start...

Top Bottom