• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U How lame would it be to buy a Wii U just for Smash?

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
How lame would it be to buy a Wii U

fixed. Truly a terrible console. Underpowered, overpriced..

Warp Star Lover

Smash Cadet

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
How lame would it be to buy a Wii U

fixed. Truly a terrible console. Underpowered, overpriced..
It's the cheapest console out there.

How is it overpriced?

Underpowered is debatable, but since it's more powerful than the PS3 and 360, it's good enough for me.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I bought the Wii U bundle with New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U... and I bought Super Mario 3D World... so, I am obviously not buying Wii U for SSB4... though I am not hyped for SSB4 yet...

Pika Chu

Smash Rookie
I would buy a Wii U just for the new SSB but... i'm pretty sure the players will find another way around having to buy a console just to be able to play the SBB4 within the first few weeks upon its release. I'm hoping for that.

"Generation behind in current technology"? You do realize that Wii U is a stronger system than PS3 and Xbox 360, right? The system isn't as powerful as PS4 and Xbox One, I'll give you that, but it isn't "a generation behind". No 3rd party? *cough Darksiders 2, Dirt, Aliens Colonial Marines, Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Online, Metro Last Light, Batman: Arkham City, Tekken, Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge, CoD, Rayman Legends, Assassin's Creed 3 *cough. Besides, a lot of people enjoy the fact that the Wii U flourishes mainly in 1st party, it makes sure it doesn't turn out to be a downgraded version of a PC. I personally liked the Wii's lineup (Galaxy series, two Zeldas, Brawl, Mario Kart, NSMBW, etc.), and they aren't dealing with Wii because of the transition to a new console. Microsoft and Sony have hardly released their consoles yet, in short time, they'll stop releasing games of previous-gen consoles too, a smart decision. It's just a matter of whether you like Nintendo or not (to be frank, it'd be odd if you didn't seeing as though you are buying a game wherein which Nintendo characters fight, but whatever). Otherwise, the console has many good things in store. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you should love the console, it's your decision and opinion after all, but it's in no way "last-gen" and it does indeed support 3rd-party titles. If you're going to hate, do it in an accurate manner.

I'm not hating, i'm realistic. I've been a fan of Nintendo from knee high to tree high, and if there is one thing that is consistent it is that history tends to repeat itself. But i'm just going to break it down logically.

The list of titles you mentioned are just sloppy seconds of previous generation games. Most of those games you mentioned I have already played on my PS3, so why would I buy another system, just for games I could play on my PS3? Sure, Tekken has some cool little stuff added to it, but no matter how many times I see Mario electric wind god fist someone its not gonna be enough to justify a purchase. And when you say that the system is stronger thats a very stretched statement. I'm no expert on graphics, but the gap between the previous generation systems and the Wii U is not that wide.

I'm glad you enjoyed the Wii's line up, but it was sub par because it's graphical capability was on the same level as previous generation systems while developers are already functioning with next generation engines. Unless it is for artistic purposes, designers aren't going to take a step backward to make games for a system that only Nintendo can fully utilize. Sure companies could stop being lazy and try to learn game design from a different perspective but in the era we live in industries know what games sell and they are making them despite how stale and repetitive they may be. Like Nintendo, the industry is playing it safe. I understand that Nintendo is in a league of their own when it come sto design but there has to be a compromise towards accessibility not only for the consumer, but the designer; some things just gotta give.

Also, The last game that was released for the Wii was that Kirby game collection, and was released in the United States in September of 2012, since then there has been no releases. As for the PS3 and 360, there are still titles being released for the system, and even going strong into 2014. Even games like Metal Gear Solid V are going to be released on the PS3 and 360, hell one of the last games on the previous generation of consoles was a Guinness world record breaking seller, that and both previous generation and current generation systems still selling at a great rate. Games people have been anticipating like Kingdom Hearts III and Final Fantasy XV may never be seen on a Wii U because of Nintendo's choice to not improve its hardware even if it is for reasons that are perfectly understandable such as affordability, but I guarantee you that if Nintendo released a system on par with Sony and Microsoft machines it wouldn't be hindered by sales.

Just look at the Wii U from 2012 to now, it took an entire year just so that people can say they have a few note worthy games on the system all due to Nintendo's complacent philosophies on game design. Either way we'll see what will happen; E3 is still around the corner, but as seen with last generation, Smash, Zelda and a couple of Mario games can only do so much, especially with the potential of current generation technology and the overwhelming momentum the current PS4 and XB1 have on the market.

Ulti-Bman

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0318-7834-6568
I'm not hating, i'm realistic. I've been a fan of Nintendo from knee high to tree high, and if there is one thing that is consistent it is that history tends to repeat itself. But i'm just going to break it down logically.

The list of titles you mentioned are just sloppy seconds of previous generation games. Most of those games you mentioned I have already played on my PS3, so why would I buy another system, just for games I could play on my PS3? Sure, Tekken has some cool little stuff added to it, but no matter how many times I see Mario electric wind god fist someone its not gonna be enough to justify a purchase. And when you say that the system is stronger thats a very stretched statement. I'm no expert on graphics, but the gap between the previous generation systems and the Wii U is not that wide.

I'm glad you enjoyed the Wii's line up, but it was sub par because it's graphical capability was on the same level as previous generation systems while developers are already functioning with next generation engines. Unless it is for artistic purposes, designers aren't going to take a step backward to make games for a system that only Nintendo can fully utilize. Sure companies could stop being lazy and try to learn game design from a different perspective but in the era we live in industries know what games sell and they are making them despite how stale and repetitive they may be. Like Nintendo, the industry is playing it safe. I understand that Nintendo is in a league of their own when it come sto design but there has to be a compromise towards accessibility not only for the consumer, but the designer; some things just gotta give.

Also, The last game that was released for the Wii was that Kirby game collection, and was released in the United States in September of 2012, since then there has been no releases. As for the PS3 and 360, there are still titles being released for the system, and even going strong into 2014. Even games like Metal Gear Solid V are going to be released on the PS3 and 360, hell one of the last games on the previous generation of consoles was a Guinness world record breaking seller, that and both previous generation and current generation systems still selling at a great rate. Games people have been anticipating like Kingdom Hearts III and Final Fantasy XV may never be seen on a Wii U because of Nintendo's choice to not improve its hardware even if it is for reasons that are perfectly understandable such as affordability, but I guarantee you that if Nintendo released a system on par with Sony and Microsoft machines it wouldn't be hindered by sales.

Just look at the Wii U from 2012 to now, it took an entire year just so that people can say they have a few note worthy games on the system all due to Nintendo's complacent philosophies on game design. Either way we'll see what will happen; E3 is still around the corner, but as seen with last generation, Smash, Zelda and a couple of Mario games can only do so much, especially with the potential of current generation technology and the overwhelming momentum the current PS4 and XB1 have on the market.
Graphics do not determine a game's success. As long as it's bearable and doesn't break the game with glitches, there's no problem. Look at Skyward Sword and Galaxy, beautiful designs and bearable graphics but still were of critical acclaim even if the graphics weren't on par with CoD or any other clone shooters Microsoft and progressively, Sony were adding on at the time. The social norm mainstream is at fault for putting value in graphics above gameplay nowadays, I applaud Nintendo for taking the risk of breaking out of the stream and focusing on what's really important (gameplay). Ironically, that's hardly playing it safe. Um, wouldn't putting the same game on two different consoles be a BAD thing? All it does is keep people from wasting money on getting next-gen since they can literally play the same game on the console they already have. Then again, I forget that graphic fanatics don't really care, but still. On a less relevant note, the Wii U is pretty far from 360 and PS3 in terms of graphics, reaching an imaginary "middle point" when it comes to overall hardware, the ends being last-gen and next-gen graphical capability of course. Heck, if we're going to talk about Wii U sales, the main problems are advertising and the aforementioned mainstream, but that's a topic that would be somewhat deviating from the debate. However, now that you mention it, Nintendo's third-party is lacking more than I thought. Still, just another reason why I see PC gamers doubling with Wii U nowadays.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
Because that's probably what's going to happen, and I'm wondering how much I'll hate myself for that. Anyone else in this situation?
Why? If you will play smash 4 for years to come, then money well spent and I am sure there is another wii-u game that is coming out that will eventually interest you. I am getting the system just for smash, but I am sure I will be getting another once one interests me. Dont worry man be happy

jokerking76

Smash Rookie
The Wii U has many great games out and upcoming such as: Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Rayman Legends, Sonic: Lost World, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta 2, & Zelda
So you don't know what your talking about

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Eh. It's a game system. It doesn't matter WHY you buy it, just that you use it to have fun and fellowship with your friends.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
That isn't lame, I bought the wii just for smash and it disappointed me, luckily PM and xenoblade and a bit of radiant dawn saved it from being a dust collector. Anyway it wouldn't be lame, since smash 4 is probably going to be good and have tons of replay value + better online.

However idk why you would do that when you got X, the legend of zelda wii u, a possible starfox wii u, mighty no. 9, MK8, FE X SMT, bayonetta 2, 3D world, Did I mention X? etc.

T1000416

Smash Cadet
There is a satisfying amount of games for it now and there's obviously more forthcoming to be excited about. And I'm not just talking about SSB4. Unless you're waiting for another price drop, now is a pretty good time.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
I'm still waiting to buy a Wii U in hopes that they'll have some cool "limited edition" Super Smash Bros. Wii U. That'd be awesome :grin:!

Uffe

Smash Hero
The only game I'm currently interested in is Smash. So unless they make F-Zero or EarthBound, then I guess it won't be a total loss.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I'm still waiting to buy a Wii U in hopes that they'll have some cool "limited edition" Super Smash Bros. Wii U. That'd be awesome :grin:!
I'm willing to buy another 3DS limited edition for Sm4sh (I have a limited Zelda OoT 3DS), but I won't be able to buy a WiiU too. Hopefully, if it's only a GamePad difference I will find someone willing to selling me that for like 70 bucks.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
I'm willing to buy another 3DS limited edition for Sm4sh (I have a limited Zelda OoT 3DS), but I won't be able to buy a WiiU too. Hopefully, if it's only a GamePad difference I will find someone willing to selling me that for like 70 bucks.
Yeah really dude, I might get a handheld Smash player too. Just weld that cartridge in there and you've got yourself a Smash Bros. machine :awesome:. If they do have a Smash Wii U though, it would probably just be the GamePad that's different. But you'd definitely feel like a boss playing with a decked out controller, so hopefully people won't be greedy ******** about it for your sake.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Yeah really dude, I might get a handheld Smash player too. Just weld that cartridge in there and you've got yourself a Smash Bros. machine :awesome:. If they do have a Smash Wii U though, it would probably just be the GamePad that's different. But you'd definitely feel like a boss playing with a decked out controller, so hopefully people won't be greedy *******s about it for your sake.
I was thinking about some friends who want to buy a WiiU but probably don't care about the GamePad. Is it possible to switch them between the consoles though? It should be, I think.

Viking Milo

Smash Rookie
I already have a Wii U, but I only have Nintendo land at the moment. So I use it to play Wii games for now.

But for those of you who are only getting one for Smash: you're not the least bit interested in any of the other games coming for it? Mario Kart, Super Mario 3d Land, Pikmin, the new Zelda games (and Windwaker HD is amazing, I know it's the same as the original but it's beautiful.).

As for it's capabilities, they're fine. You don't buy a Wii U to play call of duty or whatever the popular game is people play on xbox and psx these days.

If Nintendo decides to stop making consoles. Let's just hope Smash gets an official PC release one day on Steam or something :D

Morbi

Scavenger
Because that's probably what's going to happen, and I'm wondering how much I'll hate myself for that. Anyone else in this situation?
That is actually what I did... before the price drop. Do I hate myself? Kind of. It will be worth it when it comes out I suppose, but for the time being, it is my Brawl machine.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
By the way I have 11 games for the WiiU and I still have a few I missed like New Super Luigi U, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Scribblenauts Unlimited and Nintendoland. And maybe even Lego City Undercover.
WiiU is ****ing full of games, people.

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
I got a GameCube for Smash Bros., and I got a Wii for Smash Bros.. I don't see anything wrong with that decision. :p

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
If they release a smash Bros 4 Wii u bundle I'll be incredibly tempted by that.

There's also Pikmin 3, Wind Waker and the new X game...so by the time smash comes around there will be good enough reason to get one.

The biggest issue is being able to afford one....but I have plenty time to prepare.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I bought a Wii U on launch day and have had 0 regrets... For all the hate that the console seems to get, I have really enjoyed having it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
At least Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze would make me want a Wii U. Zelda Wii U, despite not having seen anything from it, will also without doubt be worth the purchase in the end.

Be mindful I got the GameCube mostly BECAUSE of Melee. Still haven't regret that decision. I bought the Wii for Twilight Princess first, and even that was a good choice. As I quickly also got Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn.

If you don't like Nintendo's franchises, why the hell even bother with Smash anyway?

Wtf is this kind of logic anyway?

Top Bottom