• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How is my ness?

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
don't roll with ness too much, its pretty slower this time around. Don't approach towards an opponent with a roll often. Mess around with ness short hop instead to move around. Do not use PKT on an opponent if you can use Ness Uair headbutt attack. PKT brings an opponent towards you if he's infront of you, keep that in mind. Try to DI backwards when approaching opponents with a fair, smarter opponents would've shield grabbed you a lot every time you fair'd through your opponents.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
You make a lot of the mistakes I sometimes make.
Dash attacking too much, PK Firing when the enemy is approaching you and in the air, AAAing randomly (actually, I don't do this), and so forth.
But it's ok. You're opponent wasn't very good, but keep practicing. I'd like to face you, though I haven't played much brawl lately. I'm still in the stage of "playing to get better", meaning I try different things and make risks to see how they work and play out. When I face players who "play to win" who already have many tricks down pat, I lose.

It seems like you're playing to get better. Which is good.
But your Ness isn't up to snuff yet.

SenorWaffles

Smash Rookie
thanks guys. i actually never thought of just short hopping around with nessy. when i do my fair i do DI backwards but just not enough to move backwards in those cases because i know that ness has a very short grab range(which i am out of).

on GFAQS i get the same response that my opponents arent good, even when gfaqers (<_<) are in it.

Conda ill have a match with you anytime. good to work out some kinks ^_^

Kirio

Smash Apprentice
Do not use PKT on an opponent if you can use Ness Uair headbutt attack.
Not always applicable. If they're good at air dodging you can use PKT to almost insure a hit and keep juggling.

Fizzle

Smash Journeyman
Work on spacing. Master your range and know the exact distances you can attack from and be hit. 1:54-2:00 in the first vid you were practically throwing out moves in a hope your opponent would walk into them. Play with his head a little bit. DI back with approaching aerials and pressure him to make a mistake you can capitalize on, sort of like at 1:01-1:05 on the second vid.

Other than that, more PKT2 (works great after a uair), more air dodging (eliminates most combo options), and try to minimize your rolling. Shielding is much harder to punish and it allows you to counter with a variety of options out of shield -- grab, usmash, aerial, etc. Also, as far as I'm aware, PK Flash is a real no-no against another Ness or Lucas with a magnet. Someone may be able to prove me wrong here, but to me PK Flash is too darn predictable and risky to be used in that matchup.

I know it mentioned it already, but you've gotta start working your PKT2. PKT mindgames are what separate pro Ness players from the average scrubs. Make your aim perfect so that you can hit with the move every time, and most importantly, learn to screw with your opponent's head.

NessOnett

Smash Journeyman
main thing i noticed in this is the lack of airdodging(by both of you). Seemed as though a lot of those aerials could have been seen coming a mile away but you did nothing to avoid them, just let them hit/kill you.

Gindler

Smash Champion
May I recommend a Dtilt trip to the Bat? I've been killed by that a few times so I know how annoying it is. Also when they trip they usually go right to the distance of the bats tip making it even more effective.

SenorWaffles

Smash Rookie
sometimes im able to pull of a pk fire to a dtilt rapid spam (i call it pksweep ^_^) but i dont get the chance to do it often. possibly i if i included shorthopping as my main mode of transportation, this could make it much easier for me to kill with ness

Conda

I just dash attack after PK Fire. It's guaranteed to land and a lot more safe. Trying to dtilt results in my enemy usually escaping before I can reach them.
But if you're using PK Fire up close, I'd reccomend using the bat, not dtilt. Then again, using PK Fire up close is dangerous (easily punishable), but it's a good way to punish your opponent's lag or rolls (resulting in a good 30%+ damage from PK Fire and bat tipper).

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
last video against Kirby was actually a lot better if for no other reason than you rolled a lot less. Keep making use of Ness's back throw. Your biggest problem as I see it is spacing. You tend to use a lot of moves that don't connect. On some of the videos against Ness in your original post you had some perfect opportunities to gimp his PK Thunder recovery and some others to punish his lag after using PK Thunder which you didn't quite capitalize on. Some of this will come with time but I would suggest slowing down your game for a few matches. By that I mean take some time to think out each move and predict what your opponent might do. Most importantly, keep fighting people. The best way to get better is to play lots and against lots of different people. And don't be afraid to lose.

SenorWaffles

Smash Rookie
thanks. i feel that spacing IS my biggest problem with ness. other characters (notably lucas) have much more range with grabs and AAA combos and i often times forget that. without wd i sometimes get trapped in the rolling mindset and the short hopping thing mentioned in earlier posts isnt helping me much. i try to use the match finder in the boards

Fizzle

Smash Journeyman
Your biggest problem as I see it is spacing. You tend to use a lot of moves that don't connect.
Yeah, you whiff your attacks quite a bit. Sometimes you threw out aerials when the opponent wasn't even near you. Don't worry, though, Ness takes a while to get used to. He's not the type of character to run into the fray with and survive. In the last match you seemed to do a lot better with that.

See how useful PKT2 is when it hits? Its sweetspot is at the start, and it can kill as low as 26%. Crazy stuff, huh?

Oh, and don't forget to tailwhip those PKTs. It's a lot easier to do now in Brawl.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Hey... are you...

Are you the Waffles that created the Belgian waffle?
If you are, cool to meet you here. I was on Strikers for a while.

But enough with the reunion. Advice

More PKT mindgames. Watch .Yoshi'svideos to see a PKT master.
Less dash attack, more usmashing out of dash. Ness has one of the best usmashes in the game IMO
Less rolling
Better spacing
More nair
More throwing. If you do grab, use a dthrow to combo and bthrow to kill
Try more to get the opponent into the air. The air is where Ness owns.

BTW, I wanna play yousometime. I'll add you then you add me please. My name is Mik!

SenorWaffles

Smash Rookie
yeah its the same waffles ^_^. ill check out those vid and hopefully ill get some inspiration. ill probably sell strikers to pay for mkwii (i dont play strikers). also i can record :D

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
GGs

Your Ness is pretty good. You've got all the basics down. You're really good at recovering while keeping opponents away with the fair. Your PKT mindgames are pretty good also. As a Ness player, I shouldnt have fallen for them, but I did anyways lol. That's how good they are. You also know how to short hop and DI back a fair.

Some tips now. Be a bit more careful on the edge. You messed up a bit sometimes and that led you to your death.
Follow up you dthrows quicker.
I think you should use bit more dtilt in place of those jabs. Or more tilts in general really. Dtilt can do almost all the jab can. If you want that knockback at the end, stop dtilting and use a jab or ftilt. Its good to follow up a laggy attack with an ftilt sometimes rather than jabs since the ftilt has more knockback.
Idk if this was just me, ut you spent more time on the ground or close to it from what I saw. Dont be affraid to double jump around and kill people in the air with his fair. That's where it really shines.
RAR your bair to kill people. The bthrow isnt Ness' only kill move.
Grab more after PKF. People seem to wanna shield it or roll out which makes grabbing effective.
Practice spiking a bit. Try jumping out, brushing them with an fair, double jumping, then spiking.
Stage cancel a failed PKT to cut the lag. You were left open a bit. BTW, stage cancel just means hitting the stage with PKT to end it.

Your really good, just a few things need touching up on that's all. Learn some more advanced Ness tactics and regualr advanced tactics and you'll be great in no time.

SenorWaffles

Smash Rookie
ARGH!!! youve shown me the light with ness and now ill officialy make him my main. GGS and ill be posting them soon for further review. i wanna play lots of matches with you so i can stea.....erm learn more things with ness

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
ARGH!!! youve shown me the light with ness and now ill officialy make him my main. GGS and ill be posting them soon for further review. i wanna play lots of matches with you so i can stea.....erm learn more things with ness
Lol really!?
That's awesome! I always try to get new Ness players to be born and you've just made my day.

This reminds me of the time I was playing free for all online. I played Ness so much and won so much that 3 of the people all changed to Ness XD
I serve as an inspiration to others.

And hey, dont you go stealing my boyfriend you swine! As long as you let me have him, we can play again :)

Anyways, who were you talking to when you siad you recorded the matches? Me or Deeja? It's be cool for me to get a couple of matches online.

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
Earthbound was one of my top games for the snes, it always made me favor ness just because of how cool he was in the game. As a matter of fact, ness is the epitone of coolness. Although I do agree that he may not be the best character in brawl, he certaintly isn't the worst either. When utilized correctly, he becomes a beast, and people tend to undermind him due to the fact of how hard it is to become great with ness. Dude my advise, keep practicing with ness, take advantage of AT canceling, especially with his short hop nairs (a little harder to do with dair), to make him quick. I usually constantly do this to pick up my pacing. The knockback at low percentages while connecting the nair as hits is within reach of a PK fire, dash grab and toss them down for a PK fire ****, then connect with a short hopped uair afterwards possibly either another uair with the second jump, a PKT2, or PK Flash initial (uncharge) for a pretty combo. This is one of my alternate approaches...

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
sorry for the second post, but I strongly suggest playing around with the nair. For instance, for people who approach by jumping , trying shielding, then do a short hop nair, this move is pretty quick. Also, notice that you can do two nairs in a single short hop if you don't smash the analog down for a fast fall, use this with a DI for people who shield often.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
In 'Waffles vs. zetachi 3, you're fighting Kirby, and you needed MOAR yo-yo.

Many times when you would dash attack, or SH Fair, a yo-yo would do quite well (either one IMO; although I hear Usmash is so good now, I lack sufficient internal justification.)

It would also have served to decrease stale-move negation on your Fair, the which process I'm going to call 'crisperization' and hope it catches. (it so won't :urg:)

This may only apply against Kirby, because he can't cover horizontal distances quickly and has mediocre priority, and his hammer is slower than your toy. Yet, from the fact that you didn't use it, I'm going to bet you don't trust the yo-yo for some reason.

SenorWaffles

Smash Rookie
ok vid update + a special 360 pwn montage

again any suggestions on how to improve would be appreciated. i try to use pkt more and pk flash alot less(due to obvious reasons as its ness on ness). i still occasionally find myself in a "cant-get-the-****ing-kill" rut with ness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojcRCZpNdrE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CdmZmJ3zEk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YHQACyMSg4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbGeGq4vNRY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCkSQituIUU

thanks guys ^_^.

Masky

Smash Master
I only watched the 4th video but I can say only try to AAA after fair if you pull off the entire fair (which should "suck" them in)

It seems like an improvement over the videos in your first post. Try to play someone offline if you can... imo it's impossible to develop any kind of reflexes or comboing ability with the WFC lag.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Ahh... the "eat the thunder with PSI magnet" then "footstool" combo. Works wonders on both Mother boys :)

Conda

When the enemy is behind you/rolls behind you, use the yoyo dsmash

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Wow vid one made me tense. Very close and good.

More advice, stop relying on the bthrow only to kill. That's the reason you cant kill so well with Ness. RAR the bair PLEASE! You will find it killing your opponetns well. And bat it still a good smash, dont be too afraid to use it. The slow startup sometimes throws sidesteppers off in timing. And I found Snake VERY high in damage at some points. Dsmash can kill at high %.

Dont abuse PKF. If you miss it, dont try another one. Its good, but not abusable.

Dsmash to stop rollers instead of trying to rool behind them first.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
When the enemy is behind you/rolls behind you, use the yoyo dsmash
I would advise nuancing between Usmash and Dsmash. The timing of each dodge is different. I'd only want to hit with the front of Dsmash, and for using Usmash on people in the dodge mindset, the back always seems to screw people up more than the front.

If you're trying to mindgame each other, the yo-yos are really good together for countering dodginess.

heypancho

Smash Apprentice
mmm... My Ness shorthops a lot with a lot of fair nair RAR bair and occasionally sh dair on the ground. Against small characters I usually stray away from PK fire 'cause iget2scurrd and just stick to SH aerials after getting 1 PK fire on them.

I think you should use more yoyo because it has some range and trickeryz. PKT should always be practiced.. try to keep it near because you'll want to be able to cancel it or defend with it if they fall towards you, and also practice hitting with the tail (curve it around before hitting with the head)--> naturally, getting that down will also help in defending yourself with PKT and swirling it around in circles/figure 8's will help in PKT2 mind games.

Ness' dash grab is great too, and I often find it hard to dash attack since his grab slides so far.

Top Bottom