• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how is King DDD's Down B useless?

omniscience

Smash Rookie
When it comes to edge guarding, King DDD can bair his opponent off the screen, and in some situations use his swallow attack for a suicide.

But I don't understand why edge guarding with Down B is so under rated. You can jump and move with it while its charging! It was made for edge guarding. If you see them trying to sweet spot the edge, hug it. People say he already has good KO moves, but why guess where your opponent is going to land with a smash attack, when you can just follow his projectory and intercept with Down B??

VenomInk

Smash Apprentice
The Pre lag and post lag is to great and the hitbox of it is to awkward for practical use ..... my two cents..
i concur...its really awkward..i suppose that when accustomed to using it it could be practical...but it just seems like alot of work for a lesser alternative

omniscience

Smash Rookie
maybe its just a phase im going through then. I've been racking up KO's with it though.
I don't think it should be considered the lesser alternative when used for edge guarding.

D.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5257-9865-7609
It's just such a hard move to get out. But if you can use the down B effectively, more power to you. I've only ever been able to get it to hit against more inexperienced players. You know, the ones that tend to be insanely predictable.

limitbreak

Smash Ace
Um you mentioned something about hugging the edge. How are you supposed to do that when you are in the down b charging phase? There may be some uses for it but only some (if any) are practical. The one way I have been able to use it is by walking towards opponent with it charging and as they roll behind, i turn around and WHAMMMMM.

Warriors

Smash Journeyman
this is one of dedede's best moves! its like a faster moving forward smash!

theGreatDekuTree

Smash Journeyman
its the same as an fAir, it has the same radius but you can charge it, and jump once with it.

so if you decide to edgeguard with a Fair, just use the charge hammer on slower recovery guys,
if ganon is coming back to the stage with upB or side B you can jump and intercept him, if you angle it right you can spike him against the stage.

cloudz

Smash Journeyman
you shouldnt complain about it being awkard..or whatever

its called pratice :):)

take the time to learn something difficult, im sure it will be worth it.

really_calm

Smash Journeyman
On a DDD video I saw, his down+b seem to be good when trying to land an aerial on someone who is standing on the ground (while DDD is landing in front or in back of them).

Sure you could use your Fair for this, but it looks like fair has more lag then down b. And down b seems to be easier to connect with when landing.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Of course if they're shielding it's better to land and grab ^^

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
It's not that its a bad move, but there are better options available to Dedede during all the situations that Downb can be used.

meestertiny

Smash Cadet
good D3s should learn the fullest extent of their moves.. they all have their uses, however situational

turbo hammer may have an awkward hitbox, but it's versitality to turn around or jump immediately and hit people is a real plus

like I have heard before, it's like fair only more attached to the ground
and now that I'm getting used to fair now I'm definitely going to implement more of the turbo in my hammer ;)

dan smith

Smash Champion
good D3s should learn the fullest extent of their moves.. they all have their uses, however situational
This is strictly contradictory to any character's strategy. Half of learning how to use a character is learning which moves you do and which moves you don't want to use.

Top Bottom