• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Important is the Minion Throw Buff?

Jackson

Smash Lord
So, a major Dedede buff that we've seen is that instead of throwing Waddle Dees, Doos, and Gordos, he now throws ONLY Gordos. Their knockback has obviously been toned down a bit from Brawl, but they are still very potent projectiles and deal big damage. How big of an impact do you guys think this buff will have on King Dedede's metagame in Smash 4?

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Well they're not going to have as much range, but I can see it as a combo extender from the ground sort of like in UMvC3

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
Only thing that really concerns me is how easily Zamus reflected it back it him. Looks like it could be a dangerous move for everyone.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
It's fine by me as long it's not too easy to hit the Gordo back. Regardless, knowing how to repel Gordos might be a big deal in the Dedede matchup for other fighters.
i think a well placed gordo throw while still applying pressure would be fine.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
What I found weird is that the move is still called Waddle Dee Toss, right? Shouldn't it be called Gordo Toss now?

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
It could also be a good tool to force people into recovering high/snipe them when they are offstage.

SpiderJerusalem

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NewBabel
3DS FC
4124-5499-0990
idk if this is the thread to be posting this, but w/the throw changed, does this mean Bandana Dee has better chances now?

Last edited:

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Depending on how far the Gordo falls I can see it being useful when thrown off a ledge

Last edited:

Takehiko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoldedMachi
I can see this being a factor with his inhale attack because what if while they're kicking it back D3 could inhale both the opponent and the gordo or if they get hit then he still inhales them, so that could cause a 50/50 in the match.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I can see it being used as a way to safely close the distance between Dedede and the opponent the same way Mario's fireballs are used after short hops.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
As long as it's not stupid slow as in Brawl, it will be great. Probably.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I t looks like the Gordos actually got buffed, so I'm pretty sure things should be pretty similar.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
If a projectile like the Gordo is slow, predictable and easy to reflect, then don't pretend you're Mario and toss them out in neutral while trying to camp or pressure your opponent.

If the Gordos have retained sizeable knockback then their primary use will likely be as a potent combo finisher when the opponent is already in hitstun. If it's not a kill move, it should still be able to get them offstage, where Dedede excels. Other applications could be sniping recoveries and tech chases.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I honestly don't interpret it as a buff; with move-set customization, I am probably going to go back to throwing Waddle Dees or Doos (if they allow it).

Johnny Wellens

Smash Apprentice
I think it's a great change. I like that they're toning down some of the randomness in characters (with the exception of G&W Judgement Hammer, I hope that doesn't change) and this is a great way to keep King Dedede a fun character.

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
It defeats the point a little Brawl's Gordo's.
The Gordo's in Brawl did huge knockback, but this is....decent I guess.
But maybe it's hinting at another character?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
It seems like there will be three variations of a character's Neutral Special.. So, maybe the light and fast Waddle Dee, the Medium Waddle Doo (Appears, and wherever he lands, shoots a laser beam) and the Heavy Gordo toss?

Nitric Acid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Typpihappo
3DS FC
3308-5683-8969
It could also be a good tool to force people into recovering high/snipe them when they are offstage.
This.

It's a real shame the range has been cut drastically, but I think the overall power makes up for some of it.

I don't see it as a buff at all. Gordos maybe stronger, but Waddle Dees and Waddle Doos had a lot of advantages to them. They are excellent projectile shields, and the Waddle Doos beam attack actual gave you an advantage if they attacked. It was random, but it was an advantage nonetheless. These Gordos meanwhile look like they can be deflected by basic attacks. Depending on it's power and range it might even itself out, but I certainly wouldn't call it a buff so far.

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
I'm quite okay with this change. I'm pretty positive this was done to reduce strain on the systems. Either way, I appreciate the consistency.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
We're losing range for power eh? Well, at least that hammer still has the same reach.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
This should purely be a buff. A reliable moderately powerful projectile that you can throw out at will is far more useful than a unpredictable, slow, and most of the time very weak projectile. It'll be a great combo ender, and could be a great anti-projectile move; if it clangs with projectiles as normal, it's going to be really amazing, as it should still deal around 15% damage, allowing it to outpriotised all the weak uncharged projectiles and go right through them. If it does this, it will really help Dedede not be so vulnerable to projectile camping.

Sure the Waddles provided some utility, but it was all minor and doesn't provide the outright usefulness the Gordo Toss can, and decent players will avoid getting trapped in Waddle Doo beams most of the time.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Given the information we now have about custom moves, its probably very likely that the other two variants of Dedede's neutral special are going to be a Waddle Dee/Doo throw, so in the end, the only thing lost is would be the potential to use all three at random.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Given the information we now have about custom moves, its probably very likely that the other two variants of Dedede's neutral special are going to be a Waddle Dee/Doo throw, so in the end, the only thing lost is would be the potential to use all three at random.
Which in hindsight, is good.

D

Deleted member

I just had a thought; what if the variants of Dedede's side special are throwing only Doos or only Waddles? I don't see how any of those would be particularly useful but it is a thought...

Hong

The Strongest
I just had a thought; what if the variants of Dedede's side special are throwing only Doos or only Waddles? I don't see how any of those would be particularly useful but it is a thought...
Waddle Dees: Come out much faster. since the Gordos are really slow TBH.
Waddle Doos: Short trajectory, but attack after deployed.

Sounds reasonable if you ask me. :b

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
I really don't care too much for this change, because I always used my minions as bodyguards to block approaching foes and shots. I'm not going to have much use for a bodyguard that can be sent back at me with a simple tap.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Buff? That is debatable.
Yes it's always a Gordo and it does alot of damage, but look at it.
LOOK AT IT.
It's Slow,
Has a Small, Fixed Arc,
CAN BE REFLECTED BY BASICALLY ANY MOVE,
HAS A BELOW-AVERAGE STARTUP,
IT'S SO PREDICTABLE AND BAD BECAUSE OF IT!!
The only thing it'll be good for is a lucky edge guard, but the Brawl version can do much better while farther away from the edge.

Here's hoping we can allow Custom Moves in Tournaments.
Or that it gets a buff.

Last edited:

JanitorOfHyrule

Smash Cadet
NNID
JanitorOfTermina
Possibly a hint towards spear waddle dee. I hate how some people don't know the difrence between spear waddle dee and waddle dee. Two very difrent characters one uses a spear one uses its hands.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Hm... Now the real question is if Villager can Pocket them or not... An unsuspecting Gordo being able to KO from Villager could make the two of them a great team.

Top Bottom