• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How has melee affected your life

hilaxial

Smash Cadet
You're dumb. That's not just SSBM, that's all video games.

Of course it has to affect our lives. Everything we do that is your hobby affects our life. If you think some hobby you want to do will affect your life negatively, don't play.

You also have to learn to not procrastinate. Smash has nothing to do with it. It's you and your laziness.

Whoever's life out there was ruined by melee, blame yourself.. not melee.
relax. i'm not blaming melee for anything, i just want to see what humorous results melee has had upon people. it's just putting the time you'd usually waste on other pointless activities (procrastination is one) to a more enjoyable waste of time, for those of us that don't intend to go pro and whatnot.

No need to be such a downer -- i'm sure that nobody's lives have been "ruined" by smash. The entire point is to laugh at each other for the stupid things we do.

the_air_up_there7

Smash Ace
Laredo Texas (training mode), offseason :)
Well it helps me get money when I win tourneys, it's one of my favorite hobbies...not to play smash but to play games. I love nintendo games. My coach thinks I need to stop wasting my time playing, and stay late for practices. I had failed three chemistry tests because I was playing smash instead of studying although I never study for tests I always know my stuff, except this time I was going to study but I was playing. Helped me met new ppl. Well I just love to play with ppl, smash is great but not my life. Need to get back on track on my studies and work on my basketball scholarship but whenever I have time I love playing smash on friday nights with my friends and family. It's just a hobby playing video games. :chuckle:

Linguini

Smash Master
Well...smash has affected me in only positive ways i mean, I met so many new cool people of all ages and made some good friends, the thing is I still hang out with all my other non-smash friends mostly but i like to balance it out. Balance is the key, dont play too much and dont get lost in the craze of the game.
The only negative factor is that i lost countless piles of money at tournaments....lol

MrMojoRisin

Smash Apprentice
It's given me a rep as teh smash king between some of my friends who have played with me, but other than that it hasn't affected me at all.

When SSBB comes out though I have a feeling my life will dissappear for a week or so.

I can't believe anyone would skip prom for a video game....***** or SSBM?

LinkGadra

Smash Apprentice
Smash is awesome, it has kept me around long after I stopped caring about anything else.

A friend and I are even talking about going pro (probably never going to happen, but we can dream).

Red Exodus

Smash Master
It's given me a rep as teh smash king between some of my friends who have played with me, but other than that it hasn't affected me at all.

When SSBB comes out though I have a feeling my life will dissappear for a week or so.

I can't believe anyone would skip prom for a video game....***** or SSBM?
SSBM, because I don't want to be a 16 year old father and I don't want STDs. What's so wrong with wanting to stay clean anyway?

JMSiebach

Smash Rookie
i played WoW...and it dominated my life. now Smash is my WoW, and WoW is the game i play when there's other people doing 1v1s

darth _marth

Smash Rookie
Since I only play on the weekends, Smash has just proved to be the best way to pass the time, it hasn't affected me negatively, on grades, or anything else.

ZM2004

Smash Journeyman
It has ruined my grade so far this quarter... but I have cut down on time spent playing it to get my grade back up.

goateeguy

Smash Ace
I have an exam in 11 hours and here i am, on smashboards. And I think i'm gonna go play some melee now, because studying is boring.
First picked up melee junior year of hs, and my grades went down faster than titanic.
My friends and I usually like to play around evening to late at night, and i mean REALLY late at night. I'm practically noctournal now.

ME: "Yo bill, let's play some smash"
BILL: "okay, but i got lab in half an hour"
[25 minutes later]
ME: "dude, your class is in 5 minutes"
BILL: "just one more game, we got time"
[10 minutes after that]
ME: "uh, don't you have to go to lab?"
BILL: "i missed the 1st 5 minutes already, **** it, let's just play smash"

let me hear some entertaining stories, people.
Wow! And people think I'm obsessed! I'm sorry i don't have a story, but i thank you for telling yours, because now my friends will think i'm at least somewhat normal!:)

AUGH!!! The rest of u scare me even more than he did! U prefer SSBM to having a girlfriend?!? Than getting passing grades??? Are u trying to scar me for life?!? I don't care how addicting it is, that's just plain wrong!

ehjay111

Smash Apprentice
It was the first few weeks of high school and no one in my classes really knew each other except the people that went to elementary school together. One day me and my elementary school friends were talking about a halo tournament. And one of my smash friends now piped up and said "hey do you guys play smash at all?" Well we all did, and thought we were all king ****. Knowing nothing of smashboards. There were about 10 of us that didn't really know each other but we knew smash. Pretty much every lunch period we would go to someones house and lunch and smash. And our friendship grew from there. We still smash together three years later. And have improvedd imensely!!

Red Exodus

Smash Master
That's a funny story, not scary at all. Now if he did that like 3 times a day everyday that would be scary.

LHG

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it's affected ME, just the rest of my Gamecube library. They're all covered in dust now, lol.

craiigg

Smash Lord
ahahah, aslong as you keep it equal you should be ok
my girl over smash
food/drink during smash
homework after smash and
think about smash wherever ^-^

ElfenLiedPeach

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it's affected ME, just the rest of my Gamecube library. They're all covered in dust now, lol.
QFT

It's only affected me in positive ways by the looks of it. I haven't put smash over anything else, even if some times I do go a little overboard. I still find time to write a lot, be an active athlete, go to work, get good grades, go out on some dates and whatnot. heh, maybe I'm just too responsible, I dunno >_>

But smash has allowed me to get to know quite a few of cool people I had been afraid to talk to/approach before a smash tourney forced a close up face to face encounter. Not to mention I get free money from the guys in my crew that are just a little too eager to prove themselves in MMs. Smash is too good ^_^

Lightshade

Smash Ace
For me, it is all about having fun. Sure, skill is involved and it is fun when you win, but I like to have fun with the game. I play it for about 2-3 hours every day. I've won a couple of tournaments as well, it has become my new hobbie.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
ahahah, aslong as you keep it equal you should be ok
my girl over smash
food/drink during smash
homework after smash and
think about smash wherever ^-^
QFT

Err it really hasn't affected my life all that much it just gives me and my friends something to do while we plan something, though it does suck us in sometimes but we still have fun haha. It will be like lets go bowling and then an hour later when we're still playin smash its like ahh whatever lol.

School isn't affected but like the others said, the other GC games are lonely :)

McCloud

je suis l'agent du chaos.
"So foul and f-air a day I have not seen.&quo
Woah. My one post about prom and it's the major topic of discussion. Lawl.

Anyway, was definitely worth it for me to go to prom personally because

a) I went with an amazing girl
b) I love to dance

Total prom costs were around 125, so not much.

Anyway, I'll agree that my reflexes have gotten a bit better, and my GC lineup is pretty bare. (Haven't finished WW or RE:4 b/c of smash, though Guitar Hero 2 takes precedence over smash.)

blazefox

Smash Journeyman
Its expanded my experience with other gamers (made alot of friends) and honeslty, won me some respect, I think.

Ohh, its made me miss ... nothing important, unless 2 exams + countless hours that could've gone towards volley-ball or something constructive can be counted as important lol.
Like kicking the crap outta Kirby isn'tt constructive...

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I personally chose Smash as my alternative to life thank you very much.

Lucid

Smash Cadet
I've learned new techniques, made new friends, and basically have just had fun on the weekends from playing smash

Frozenserpent

Smash Journeyman
Smashing has made my life much more interesting. First of all, my friends right now have been affected by smash. I met a ton of new people from smash and socialized quite a bit because of smash.
Also, I grew a bit wiser from "no johns", and, as Hydro Kirby said before, I wrote an essay about no johns for my application to Stanford, and also included it in all my other college applications as well.

Kai_

Smash Journeyman
Well. I skipped prom for smash. But I didn't have a date, so **** it, I didn't care >_>
Holy crap, you do realize people stereotype smashers under those sorts of reasons...

That's how it affected me, and I took a break from it.

Anyways, story time:
My 3 friends and I go to a friend's house.

Vincent: We've played Mario Kart for such an abnormally homosexual long time now, what do you guys want to play
Danny: Let's play
Vincent: I just asked what do you want to play
Danny: what's todays date
Steven: I want to play Mario Kart
Me: Smash
Vincent: Ok it's decided we play smash, no arguments, no debates, no asking questions or you get out of my house and I call the IRS on your scrawny little *******.
Steven: Gay
Me: ...
Danny: What do you guys want to play

Top Bottom