• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How hard are level 9 CPU's for you?

How many can you kill a per match on average?

Votes: 29 13.2%

Votes: 99 45.2%

Votes: 50 22.8%
  • 4+

Votes: 41 18.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

InfinityAlex

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4871-5777-3906
I can pretty much have them set to Level 9 Random and always come out on top (assuming I'm using a character I'm good with), but by God it's impossible to spike these guys. They always know EXACTLY when to air dodge. On top of that, it requires a lot of patience too, as there's no psychological element or really any reactionary factors involved in their "playstyles", so it requires you to take advantage of their input reading to force them into a pattern in which you can easily punish them.

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
Btw, has anyone else noticed that some of the Level 9 CPUs seem broken? The Pits spam smashes over and over and Lucario will randomly use his Utilt 8-10 times in a row when you're the whole distance of Final Destination away lol. It's pretty funny.

I can beat the L.9 CPUs much more easily with Diddy and Wario than I can with any other characters including Samus and Olimar, who I would consider better than my Diddy and Wario for sure. Idk why this is the case.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Uh, level 9 CPUs in regular fights... I think I can score a few, especially with the DLC fighters like Lucas's Up Smash. But, as far as Classic Mode goes, I just plain suck.

SoulOfKhaos

Smash Cadet
NNID
SoulKhaos
I played 30 matches in 1vs1 against a cpu Robin, Peach and C. Falcon and won... 8 matches... I feel so bad now, I know I haven't been playing the game as much as I use to when the game came out but I feel that for every update/patch we get the AI is becoming better. Or maybe I'm just a mediocre player.

Nebulax

Smash Cadet
It's all about finding patterns and flaws in their AI. Many of them have extremely predictable attacking and dodging, which can be punished. Their perfect shielding and air dodging is impeccable, but as I said, predictable, and like most things in smash, can be punished as well.

I think that's the key strategy for Level 9s. There's a lot less mindgames than with real players.

NerdThomas3

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThomasLee1993
3DS FC
1865-1735-0762
Level 9 is a challenge, indeed, but it gets to the point where it feels like I'm playing For Glory 1-on-1 matches with other people. I guess that's a good thing..?

Synnett

Alligator Lord
I can beat them more often than not, but I hate them. That perfect timing, input reading bull**** just pisses me off until I want to break the 3DS and punch a wall. They are not fun to play at all. Even when I win, it doesn't feel good.
EXACTLY this!

Their grabs and shields are so nasty it's extremely annoying. I mean, I'm alright with Pikachu, but when I try to use Bowser, I can't do anything. Meh, rather play with friends/online.

flushinrush

Smash Rookie
After playing real players Online and loosing continuously, level 9 cpus are easy since they use basic manuevers that are easily punishable and not soo unexpected as a real player but I miss trainning with level 9 cpus

Lustful_Kaiser

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kaiserine
3DS FC
3282-3064-4273
Level 9 cpu isn't hard since they can be stupid and after fighting players, and amiibos they feel so dead. Even beating them before all the online matches with players and amiibos, it still feels unsatisfying just knowing its just a cpu just program to do specific moves and combo which can be punished.

aidspup

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aidspup
3DS FC
0688-5524-0749
ledge camp, kirbycide, bots can't complain about being cheap so u can use any strategy and easily take them out

jayelldee02

Smash Rookie
Usually I practice with level 9 CPU clones. I've used a customized Ganondorf and customized Ike as practice. Ganondorf is one of my mains, and Ike is a main as well, and I can use his counters against the CPU.

sovereigntea

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0146-9845-1024
I feel like my CPUs have actually learned to adapt to my playstyle. After a while they actually begin to use the same techniques and combos that I do. I am not sure if this is just me being crazy and paranoid but I feel like CPUs pick up on techniques and set-ups and learn how to use them or respond to them. Maybe I'm just paranoid. The more I play against people I find the worse I do against the CPU. This is especially true of late since I rely more and more on mindgames

Golden Rainbow

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2707-2708-0253
I'm reading all these comments about AI exploiting and cheesing and it just feels like nonsense. Not being able to train against the CPU has been a major issue since like forever, and now that we actually have AI that's not awful, people try their hardest to prove they're still bad. You're missing the point, guys.

On their general level, I do think they can still be a challenge to a player on the way to becoming intermediate. I still lose against them if I'm on one of my "awful characters" or if I want to kill time and sandbag, but if I sit down to actually try, they never beat me at all.

★Malik★™

Smash Ace
Back during Brawl, Level 9s weren't a problem. I even took it to the extreme with 1 v 3 teams.

Can't say the same about Smash 4 though, even with my main. Lol.

Tomlanji

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tomlanji
3DS FC
4098-2281-7871
I usually win every time...Unless I use Olimar.

Riggen

Smash Cadet
NNID
15243BDRAE
3DS FC
1607-3148-7902
Using my main (Zero Suit) I can fend off about 1-3, Trying with my others but it just wont do, In brawl JEEEZ THEY ARE ALOT HARDER! But this is Sm4sh discussion, So i can fend off about 1-3 tops

Shouxiao

Smash Journeyman
While the AI has improved a lot over the games they still have flaws. Level 9(higher level cpus in general) simply react the what button pressed most of the time. Once you find out how they fight it becomes very easy to kill them.

sovereigntea

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0146-9845-1024
I just fought a level 9 who dash danced
Level 9's didn't do that when the game came out if memory serves correct

Riggen

Smash Cadet
NNID
15243BDRAE
3DS FC
1607-3148-7902
I just fought a level 9 who dash danced
Level 9's didn't do that when the game came out if memory serves correct
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!?!?

Last edited:

Sammy-jack

Smash Rookie
It just seems that the bots learn to how you play, especially if the bot is one of your mains. My brother plays Pika, and does jab locks a bunch with him; now the bot Pika started pulling off jab locks, and we have to be more on guard when playing him. It's my belief that the more you show them how to play the character, the harder they get.

ShionKaito438

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SK#378
NNID
ShionKaito438
CPUs in Sm4sh are typically better than other games in the series from my experience. I thought it was just me, but now that I've seen other people say it too, I know it's true. They appear to adapt to your playstyle.

Sometimes I fool around and duck a lot after a KO, as a sort of taunt. Recently I've seen CPUs do the same...

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
Since I normally practice puff, I can't hit them in the air! They read my inputs, and I can't combo them in the air because they air dodge. They also don't approach me, so...

I normally can't beat them when there's no items, but with them I can usually always beat them.

rockonSSB

Smash Rookie
I can get 2 kills every match, but thats probably because I only put 2 stocks
Funny thing is, my sister beats lvl 9's easily, and all she does is spam down tilt and may I mention
SHE BARELY PLAYS THE GAME

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
Is it just me, or do the computer players learn in a similar way to amiibos? From crouch spamming to only using Sonic's side-B, to mimicking the bread-and-butter Robin combos I use on FG, I'm seeing some familiar patterns.

Last edited:

sovereigntea

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0146-9845-1024
Is it just me, or do the computer players learn in a similar way to amiibos? From crouch spamming to only using Sonic's side-B, to mimicking the bread-and-butter Robin combos I use on FG, I'm seeing some familiar patterns.
Makes me glad I never wasted the money on amiibos

ThatEpicMudkip

Smash Rookie
NNID
ThatEpicMudkip
3DS FC
4124-5091-3596
Level 9 Characters are extremely easy to beat. This is because while they know your inputs and have a great defensive game, they can't approach offensively without spamming laggy moves such as smash attacks. In my opinion, it's not a good idea to play against them as their playstyle differs from most human players and will give you the wrong mindset when facing a human. By the way, to beat them, just bait them into approaching you by camping shield near the edge and then use grab combos, or throw them off stage, bait an air dodge, and kill them. (Spikes also work well against them)

InfamousJake

Smash Rookie
Level Nine CPU's are easy. They aren't real people and won't change their playstyle based on how they are doing in the match, so you just have to know what they do, how they do it, and when they do it. A captain Falcon will almost always Falcon Kick towards you when out of arm's reach, so just spot dodge and punish. It's as easy as that.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Not that hard. Frustrating is probably a better word seeing as they always do these frame perfect air dodges, but they're pretty easy to beat. They don't set up combos or go for follow ups for one, all they do is try and do the strongest out of shield attack when you get in close, so just be aware and bait it out.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Before I sign up for Smashboards and Smash Ladder, I was doing teams with my Mario amiibo against the 2 level 9 Cpus which are Samus(power suit) and Lucina on stock battle and when my amiibo is gone and won't borrow one of my lifes, I have to handle both of them on my own. I handle the battle with patients and spacing and I defeated both of them with Rosalina.

Same thing happen(almost) with 8 man-smash, but on teams with my 3 amiibo or 4 Cups. The only A.l character that I can't stand is Zelda. I have no problems with her on 1v1 and on teams, but she just knows how to work my nerve and just p*** me off. I get sniped from behind with that dirty lighting kick while I was trying to help my partner and I hate it when she using that move with my back turn.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Level 9 CPU's are not that difficult to beat, BUT I swear Sakurai gave them telepathy/prophecy when it comes to air dodging. I can't for the life of me juggle them. >_>

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Most of the time it's 3 in a 2 minute match. Sometimes more sometimes less.

Zi^

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThaLegundOfLonk
3DS FC
2767-0988-1706
don't know, i do only 1v1 3 stocks with lvl 9 CPU D:

TriffHR

Smash Apprentice
I find them terribly easy to edgeguard with projectiles or swordfighters (Mostly Roy).

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
How to beat level 9 CPUs:

Step 1. Pick Charizard

Step 2. Use Custom Move: Fireball Cannon

Step 3. Set lvl 9 CPU of Choice

Step 4. Start Match

Step 5. Tape down your B Button

Step 6. Let CPU take 999% Damage

Step 7. Question what you're doing with your life :tired: