• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How hard are level 9 CPU's for you?

How many can you kill a per match on average?

Votes: 29 13.2%

Votes: 99 45.2%

Votes: 50 22.8%
  • 4+

Votes: 41 18.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
I will say that these are the most brutal CPUs in a Smash game, and no other smash bros. AI is anywhere near harder. Even I lose occasionally to some AI's, but the majority of the time I pick who I want and demolish them, close match or not.
My biggest question is; has anyone fought them with marth? For some reason I just cannot seem to do well against them with him at all.
Well I'm terrible with Marth, so I can say yes, but that might come out as a biased answer.

Themeatgrinder

Smash Cadet
NNID
Badboi117
3DS FC
0130-2293-8436
Hmm I can beat Level 9 AI with Bowser one-on-one but in free-for-alls I actually don't do so well XD

D

Deleted member 269706

When playing 1v1 I tend to win by 1-2 stocks almost every time. I fin them reasonable to play against, though you do have to be good at dodging and evasion. They're nothing compared to the level 9 characters on the Wii U.

MrChickenNipples

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4485-0725-3171
I beat them 90% of the time when I play with my main characters, but I don't do that well when I play anyone I'm not familiar with, and their perfect shielding and dodging gets annoying

D

Deleted member

Holy snap dizzly bop! I just deleted my update to try out the AI before hand and wow, this is so much better than Wii U's and the current 3DS AI. I can actually attack Marth and he wont counter every time and I can actually hit Level 9 CPU's in the air.

Sakurai pls.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Depends on who I play as, really. When I play as Rosalina and Link, I tend to almost always win all my matches with very few losses. If I have to guess my average kills between the two, I would say around 5-15.

My biggest question is; has anyone fought them with marth? For some reason I just cannot seem to do well against them with him at all.
I fought against them as Lucina, which I was having a hard time beating them. I barely made any progress with her.

Themeatgrinder

Smash Cadet
NNID
Badboi117
3DS FC
0130-2293-8436
Holy snap dizzly bop! I just deleted my update to try out the AI before hand and wow, this is so much better than Wii U's and the current 3DS AI. I can actually attack Marth and he wont counter every time and I can actually hit Level 9 CPU's in the air.

Sakurai pls.
Those perfect air dodges in those AI; god dat screws me up. I could literally never perform an aerial after a throw after the latest 3DS update.

mitchman77

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5284-1905-2884
I am honestly suprised how effective the CPU """cheats"""(using our input for their benefit) with Powershield etc. They also escape Combos pretty well.

I wonder how in the realgame it is to fight them.

Oh and 2 kills for me
bro i feel you. i just had a yoshi ditto with the lvl 9 cpu. my GOD They abuse our inputs HARD. power shielding every time, air dodging at the correct time, oh and dont forget if they are across the stage, they spam projectiles.

KCB: Cloth

Killer Combro
Lvl 9's are somewhat cheaters. Also I feel like they quikly register certain approach styles you use.
So it just means you need to be versatile and anticipate on them powershielding. Then it's yolo for the win.

Anthon1996

Smash Ace
NNID
AnUglyBarnacle
3DS FC
5301-0385-3871
They're not that tough. Just abuse their tendency to try to dodge/powershield everything. E.g., when they are about to land, attack out of a short hop; they'll dodge and then suffer landing lag. Easy punish. Really, it's not like they do combos or anything. The only tough part is in 9.0 Classic where they're on ****ing steroids and they murder your braindead teammate in 10 seconds. They also seem to collaborate with the item-spawning AI.

PKMudkip

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0087-2827-5098
Switch FC
SW-5862-2113-3817
They spam and perfect shield everything, but if you can get a d-throw combo, it becomes easy to kill them. The only thing I can't do in a match is face 3 Rosalina and Lumas on team while I play Wii Fit Trainer

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
Level 9 CPUs ruin Classic mode for me. They're much better and more fair I find in the 3DS version somehow, but the way it's set up on the Wii U, when there is the potential of far more opponents, they tend to gain up on me for no reason whatsoever and I end up dying to the silliest crap I've ever experienced in any Smash game. Hate it so much, all of my custom move unlocks were all from the 3DS, never touching Classic mode on Wii U again.

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Well, not trying to brag here but, i've beaten 7 lvl 9 little mac all of them one there own team while i was playing as Shulk on that bridge level for The Legend of Zelda.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
They're pretty easy if you just spam and time smash attacks against them (something you don't do in a non CPU fight). If I play to WIN against a LVL 9 CPU, then there's no issues... but I don't play against LVL 9s to win... I just play them to do different things like learn a character, create combos (not practice landing), mess around for fun (most of the time it's this), etc.

Last edited:

CynicalController

Smash Cadet
NNID
acetrainergaming
3DS FC
2020-0091-9961
I can easily kill LVL 9's, unless they have a counter. Tired of them sitting in place reading my inputs. I honestly find level 8's more similar to a typical human playing level.

optimuskirby

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1118-0746-7459
Yes, I agree CPU's LOVE to perfect-shield, shield-grab, input-read, perfect dodge, just... BE PERFECT all around. I can usually win in for-glory. & since I almost never grab, they can beat me down. I can usually get around CPU's grab as Pac-Man, by jumping, & doing a Nair immediately. & sometimes they just flat out ignore you! They just walk away, & target ONLY the person with the highest HP, & not even knowing other players exist. I took a photo of 4 FFA, & I was way up in the sky, & the 3 CPUs were standing right below me. not even attacking each-other.... At least they don't gang up on you like in Brawl.

Swampertrulz

Smash Lord
NNID
Swampertrulz
3DS FC
3883-9003-2472
I usually get 2 kills per match. Lv.9 CPUs are a nice challenge though they can be very annoying at times. This is my face when I got rekt by a Lv.9 Bowser :mad: and :crazy:.

jet56

Smash Journeyman
i think the ai has improved with patch 1.0.8, they combo and mix up their moves, and edgegaurd better than before. the lvl 9 cpu ness down throws and then fairs now, which i have never seen before.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I've noticed a lot of the AI using bread and butter throw combos now, as well.

G&W not once failed to attempt a uair after his down throw, and Dedede always goes for a fair after his.

Aside from that, they're still extremely susceptible to the usual "wait and punish" tactic. I also learned they have a 0% success rate at dodging Lucas' PSI Magnet, presumably because the hitbox comes out too quickly for them to shield or dodge it.

Last edited:

Toon_Stink

Smash Rookie
I am relatively "new" to smash, but I'm still actually better than a lot of new people. I actually do 3 or 4 stock battles with 3 cpu 9s, and take all but 1 or 2 stocks, at the maximum cost of 1. And that's more recent. When I first started, I didn't even have a 3ds and beat my friend in smash run by luck. Ahhhh... And I continue to improve as Samus to this day!:4samus:

jet56

Smash Journeyman
I've noticed a lot of the AI using bread and butter throw combos now, as well.

G&W not once failed to attempt a uair after his down throw, and Dedede always goes for a fair after his.

Aside from that, they're still extremely susceptible to the usual "wait and punish" tactic. I also learned they have a 0% success rate at dodging Lucas' PSI Magnet, presumably because the hitbox comes out too quickly for them to shield or dodge it.
glad someone else noticed this. they are better to train against now, still not a replacement for human players though.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Sometimes they are hard to beat, sometimes they are sort weak. Often made me say:" Lv 9 CPUs are really just CPUs"...

Swampertrulz

Smash Lord
NNID
Swampertrulz
3DS FC
3883-9003-2472
2 for me. Lv.9s in this game are pretty damn annoying but somewhat fun I don't know why.

Neku ネク

Smash Apprentice
Running tourney rules, I normally win against 1 CPU (2 stock) but about 50% of the time I lose at least one stock. Normally I don't have much trouble, except when they keep reading my landing inputs and grab me constantly.

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
They're decently hard.

On one hand, they are extremely good at dodging, much moreso than actual people. They pretty much react to your attack on the first frame, which has led my friends to ask "do they read your inputs?"

However, in the end, they're computers. You can't really play mind-games with them and "condition" them (I main Sonic so this sucks for me D:). Similarly, they don't really adapt to your strategies; just react quickly.

You can exploit them because they tend to repeat their mistakes a lot and fail to really learn from them for the rest of the match. (Ex: Ganondorf likes to approach with Down-B most of the time if he's decently far away from you).

All in all, they're decently difficult, but are pretty one-track-minded. If we get to a time where CPU's dodge this well and adapt to you pretty much instantly, they'll truly become great practice partners, imo.

Nah

Smash Champion
I beat level 9s like 95% of the time. They're ****ing weird though. They have absolutely godly reaction speeds, don't need to physically hit buttons in order to do things, and can't be conditioned in the slightest (and they abuse these qualities well), but then also do dumb **** like walking into a smash attack or just randomly doing Ftilts for no reason or with CPU Diddy's, spamming the Popgun but always charging it when they shouldn't.

Best though was how CPU Shulks used to kill themselves by trying to switch to Jump mode while offstage.

But these days I don't fight them much. Battling real people is way better. I really only fight CPUs when For Glory is being stupidly laggy.

Gilly

Smash Rookie
Actually, Lv. 9 were pretty easy for me when I started and then after the DLC store update I was always getting destroyed but could handle Lv. 8 but nowadays Lv. 9 are no problem. I don't think they're that hard, they're good for practice but they're not that hard. :D

JustBeingZack

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zack66775
I find the level 9 CPU's really entertaining while playing a character like Mewtwo. It's great practice for landing shadow balls and sharpening your zoning for characters with counters and reflects. Around 2-3 kills per 2 minute match.

RMF

Smash Cadet
NNID
rafamariofanx
3DS FC
4897-7020-4287
Once you learn their mistakes: Easy. But they try to be perfect in defensive gameplay. But they are ridiculously easy to punish for being careless.

Marty.

Smash Cadet
NNID
Z4157M
Lvl 9 Com. are unrealistic. They escape a grab way to quickly and their techniques are unlikely to happen in a real life match

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Level 9's have absolutely no idea how to play against certain projectiles. I can pretty much just camp and spam gordos with Dedede and win every time. But since I use them for practice I don't do that, I'll play them straight.

I always play 2 or 3 stock matches, never timed. I'd guess I win around 3 out of 4....but that's including all the times I play stupid because I'm not really trying my best. Probably win about 8 out of 10 if I actually bring my A game. They are pretty tough and I agree with others that since the patch they've improved and powershield like gods. Still though, they are exploitable and tend to use unsafe attacks too much. If I lose it's usually because I make some stupid mistakes or a couple missed inputs. If I play well they aren't winning.

Last edited:

#DarkWing

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3067-7088-3304
It really depends on what kinds of characters are computers. Marth, Sheik, and Zero Suit Samus are just relentless.

SonicNKnux

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SonicNKnux
3DS FC
2251-4823-9526
Since they read my inputs they can be annoying, but I like to use them in Training for my Palutena and MK. I only use 2; DK for accuracy since he's the heaviest character without super armor, has range and he likes to dodge all the time, and Marth for reaction since he tends to slip behind or past me and retaliate pretty quickly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom