• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how good is sonics dair?

triple

Smash Rookie
has anyone been using sonics dair to keep opponents from getting back on the stage? I have been experimenting with dair, canceling, touching the stage and doing it again and again against rob (and the earthbound kids) and it has been working really well. anyone else finding the dair useful?

Browny

Smash Hater
priority and damage wise, it fails. but trying to master the sweetspot is what its all about. i think ive figured it out, if you hit on the outside of his leg (the side towards which the d-air was directed) between about 1/5 of the d-airs length and 2/5, you get the semi-spike effect where it knocks enemies horizontally towards the blast zone, with a lot of knockback. this is using d-air off the stage and springing back up afterwards. of course this is provided the enemy doesnt airdodge or attack you out of it, but its very fast and if it hits, its pretty much a guaranteed kill against anyone who doesnt have multiple mid-air jumps or a glide.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
I don't try to use it offensively too much.. Mostly just use it to get out of the air faster. I'd say it's good for that reason alone.

Veil2222

Smash Journeyman
I use it to edge guard after they reach the edge, if you time it right and they use an attack to get up, get up normally, or jump, in all 3 situations you will hit them. I also use it to sweet spot the edge and combo Ugrab>uair>upb+Dair from 0-50%, and I use it to fake people out of spindash approaching. If they expect a spindash combo and sheild, then drop shield to punish, if you jump cancel out of spindash right when you get to them and Dair most of the time they drop the shield and take it in the face. Even CPU's do this, so practice on them.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I love using D-air off stage, like its first part and knocking people horizontally toward the KO wall :D

I think it has decent priority- beats Snake projectiles and a bit of Metaknight's tornado (maybe like 1-2 hits, but still lol), and it kills PK thunder (if you land on the head), but even if it didn't, it usually comes in at an angle not usually covered by peoples' attacks.

Over level, I've done things like Spring> D-air (not sweetspot- knocks them upwards)> Jump+U-air
For damage, Sometimes I do Double Jump>Spring>D-air(cancels)>N-air, since I like n-air too.

Shoop70

Smash Apprentice
Sometimes as a mindgame I like to short hop into one, considering people usually expect it to come after a spring, but its not guranteed to work. Other than that I use it to reverse upward momentum, it usually ends with still being able to use air moves afterwards.

Don't use it against flying characters for edgeguarding unless you're positive you'll hit: I've been footstooled out of my spring one too many times by those characters.
Yup, all the above is very true.

triple

Smash Rookie
tenki, i like jumping backwards off the stage and dairing opponents back toward the stage (into the wall) thats always fun! for characters like kirby or meta, I ve used the dair twice in a row and was able to gimp them enough where they couldnt get back. this is very difficult but can be done. as for using it all the time, no. its fairly situational i guess. but at the very least it forces the oppponent to fight for the ledge, which puts sonic in control.

good input all around

Tenki

Smash Hero
Ah, btw, you don't have to be facing the direction to launch them that way. If you're falling right but your enemy is on the left side, you can get the same effect anyway ^^; Though, trying to imagine a backwards d-air, I think it would be funny to maybe D-air under FD and use homing stall to get back up. Not sure if that's really possible or not.

Oh yeah, Sometimes, as a mind-game edgeguard, I plant a spring by the edge and spam D-air on it. Unawares sometimes go for the spring and end up getting launched by the kick-spam. People trying to go over me get hit, leaving the edge as one of the "safer" options. I might work with that a little more and see what else can be done with it.

DragnSlayr

Smash Apprentice
I tend to not use it as much off stage, but for the sake of landing back onto the stage I will use it as well as a general attack.

Tenki

Smash Hero
how good is sonics down air?

its pretty terrible
All in all, yeah, that might be pretty true, but here's something that Sonic has on others with a diving/"falcon kick"-style d-air attack (ZSS, Sheik...)

...he can recover, and he can consistently get to a height where his d-air autocancels lag.

And that makes it so much more useful.

SonicSSJX the Hedgehog

Smash Apprentice
People say it spikes, but I've used it in mid air and off the stage to attack opponents, but it has never spike all the thousands of times I've used Sonic in battle since the first day I got Brawl and unlocked Sonic.

Tenki

Smash Hero
People say it spikes, but I've used it in mid air and off the stage to attack opponents, but it has never spike all the thousands of times I've used Sonic in battle since the first day I got Brawl and unlocked Sonic.
It doesn't spike.

It does 'semi-spike' (or at least, that's what the thread calls it) - send an opponent horizontally with little-to-no upward motion - if you hit with the beginning of the d-air.

SonicSSJX the Hedgehog

Smash Apprentice
It doesn't spike.

It does 'semi-spike' (or at least, that's what the thread calls it) - send an opponent horizontally with little-to-no upward motion - if you hit with the beginning of the d-air.

Someone better fix the description on SmashWiki, whoever runs it. lol.

Top Bottom