• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How exactly do you ledge grab cancel with squirtle

Magik0722

Smash Champion
So im getting mixed results with ledge grab canceling from a hydro grab with squitle, i simply seem to get it at random times
in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY-TiCLHh4I&feature=channel_page @ :23 is an example

for some reason i cannot do it in training mode and i only get it a few times versus computers so im thinking it might be somehting with how they mash out of the grab, or another possibility is when exactly i pummel them, i just thought i'd ask here in case anyone knew for sure

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
afaik it's about pummel timing. pummel right when you get to the edge.

you should read the back room more. ;)

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i don't think it matters which pummel it is, as long as you time the button press right. i think the diddy just happened to break on the second pummel. i mean, i've done it at low low percent where i pummel once and i ledge cancel when they break out immediately.

andilex

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0232-8508-7675
so i pummel when they break free? so it is pretty much random when i wil get it then?

<---- Magik

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
it's either pummel when they break free or pummel when squirtle gets to the edge.

you should look up how meta knights do it to dedede, i'm pretty sure they've figured it out.

AdmiralComrade

Smash Journeyman
wow must to hard if they get released during a hydrograb but i think that isnt the case cause i was testing it 2day (on DDD) and the % he was on was "impossible" to break free so fast so iunno

i recorded it and looked at it frame by frame and i think you start to pummel them be4 squirtle reaches the edge.
so when u reach the edge squirtle's pummel hits

(distance of the grab doesnt matter, well i havent tried for long distances yet, only distances be4 the circles of Battlefield)
iunno thats what i think atm ill test again later. hope this helps somewhat.

as for the video on yoshis island and battlefield agasint diddy it completely wreaks my theory on this =[

but it cant be pummel till they get released/ break free because ive tried it so many times and it just doenst work as they fall but you dont follow. hmm..

CoonTail

Smash Lord
So I have a replay on my wii of this happening to a luigi at 0% or mayb 5% but either way real low percent. If anyone can help me upload it or anything it could be used as more study material because I too have been trying to figure this out now mainly because this really could lead to ungodly early gimps on characters if done right. So anyone who can help me or has any interest in figuring this out let me know

Magik0722

Smash Champion
recently ive gotten some more of these but soem more interesting ones, 2 times i got a ledge grab cancel into a footstool and really set them way down low and is a good spike, i did it once against a diddy kong player and another against a link.

Magik0722

Smash Champion
when steeler said read the back room i thought he meant the SBR...

Ok reading it in the back room and now i know why this happens and how "I" do it but lets keep that hush hush like yall said and hope that the people who practice it will understand after a few minutes

Ill change this thread to instead of asking a question to the actual applications

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
someone delete this topic please

i'm not being serious fyi

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Christ on crutches. I don't understand why people care to keep it hushed.

If they try to break out, it works. If they don't, then you get free pummels, but they break out normally.

It's out of your control. Just pummel and hope for the best.

Miles.

Smash Champion
Christ on crutches. I don't understand why people care to keep it hushed.

If they try to break out, it works. If they don't, then you get free pummels, but they break out normally.

It's out of your control. Just pummel and hope for the best.
you know we could really have kept thought out of common knowledge for at least a year.

oh well.

hhahah

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
but keeping it out of common knowledge will hurt the technique
If we keep relying on a tactic that doesn't really work, then we'll have less incentive to learn new stuff. We want to push PT as far as we can, right?

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
it really doesn't matter if it's public or not anyway, people still won't know about it. it's not like people consider PT a threat

hell, I've yet to play someone in tournament that knows they can just footstool me out of withdraw.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Well I for one thank you for bringing this forward, Reflex. It ticks me off to know that the BR is holding out on some techs while there are PT mains out there not in the BR left in the dark as they work to improve. Sure, it doesn't allow competitors at tournaments to know about PT, but if our best PT mains don't share their input, how will others improve?

Toby.

Smash Master
Its not so much a case of not sharing something we've discovered in the BR. I don't think the intention was ever to leave you guys in the dark about this tech, we just hadn't got around to writing a thread about it.

The bit nobody wanted to talk about is the weakness of the tech, which completely shuts it down.

Anyway I have to go to work. I'm sure everything will be explained once somebody has time to do a write up.

Miles.

Smash Champion
only thing we kept in the backroom was how to stop the tech.

not how to do it or anything. its pretty simple actually.

Top Bottom