• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How does one break bad habits?

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
OK, this has been a problem that has been affecting me alot, and I feel like I would be playing much better if I could force myself to not keep making the same mistakes over and over.

Basically, when I'm winning, I tend to play fine when it comes to mixing up my defenses, and I mix up my attacks well, but when I start to lose (and it gets worse the wider the gap gets) I start to do really predictable things that hold me back even more (like air dodge immediately after being hut up, or a normal get up on the stage, and I tend to use the same attacks over and over). Can anybody tell me a trick to help me overcome this problem? I really want to drop the bad habits but I do them out of reflex it seems.

Pyr

Smash Lord
Work. Lots of work. That's the trick.

You start to lose, so your focus shifts from your gameplan to "crap. I'm losing. Gotta stop, gotta stop." So you start doing silly things. It's not really a habit. You just lose focus and start running on auto-pilot. Unfortunately, your auto-pilot system isn't the best.

allshort17

Smash Ace
If you know your problem, then you have to play whole matches dedicated to not doing it. Instead of focusing on winning, focus only on never doing your habit. Don't even do it when it's the right time to do it. You have to break your muscle memory first before you can adjust and properly implement it back in your game. When breaking bad habits, you can focus when you're not pressured or tired. But, when things get tense that when you need to focus hardest to break the habit.

Last edited:

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
Should have guessed there was no easy trick to it, just gotta practice. Thanks for the replies :D.

derpcube

Smash Apprentice
Those might not be your only habits, what I do sometimes is fight people on the forums and talk about how we can both improve. It's also a good way to fight people that know smash terms.

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
Those might not be your only habits, what I do sometimes is fight people on the forums and talk about how we can both improve. It's also a good way to fight people that know smash terms.
Is there a place where you can challenge others on these forums?

Raethien

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raethien
3DS FC
4012-4393-7821
This happens to me alot. When I can win and know I can win, I still lose.

Kangaexe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
onlykanga
3DS FC
2363-5649-9211
Focus on exactly what youre doing! Make sure you know what your doing before you initiate a bad habbit

Example: You have a habit of rolling before out of shield a lot, focus on it and whats making you do it, Usually its just because of how tempting it is to do. If thats the case try to do anything else but roll out of shield, even if its real stupid and you get punished!

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Bad habits are usually due to autopiloting, so be actively engaged when you're playing. It takes a lot of practice to change habits so you will need to work on it. Best of luck!

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
Smash ladder is where I usually go ;p. I think I'll keep going there, the forum match making on here is a little too disorganized for me.
Smash ladder is perfect practice. Make sure you notice your habits cause thats the first step to not repeating them

Top Bottom