• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you pronouce these?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssx3master1

Smash Cadet
I've been lurking on the boards for a while and I was wondering something I've never seen come up. How are you suppose to pronounce "dair" and "nair" and "fair" and "bair" and especially, "uair."

For example, you could pronounce dair and nair as "dee air" and "en air" or as "dare" and "nare". I personally use the latter, but when I try to say uair in this manner, I sound like I'm asking "where?" in broken english.

Whats everyone's take on this?

Edit: spelling

Haruno Kotetsu

Smash Ace
they're abriviations of arials. im sure you knew that, but they're short for the name of the arial like up air is uair, down air is dair, etc..

but on the other hand i guess thats how you pronounce them. but i just say the whole thing, like up air.

ssx3master1

Smash Cadet
they're abriviations of arials. im sure you knew that, but they're short for the name of the arial like up air is uair, down air is dair, etc..

but on the other hand i guess thats how you pronounce them. but i just say the whole thing, like up air.
Yeh, I know what they mean, I'm just wondering how people pronounce them. :lick:

Edit: Also, off-topic, do you need a certain post count or something to upload your own avatar?

Edit again: Nevermind about the avatar question. Gotta get premium ( T A T ;; )

Banks

Smash Hero
how about you just say down air neutral air back air and up air, instead of using stupid made up words lmao

ssx3master1

Smash Cadet
how about you just say down air neutral air back air and up air, instead of using stupid made up words lmao
And while were at it, lets all drop SCUBA and just say "Self-Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus." Stupid made up words....

</sarcasm>

ssx3master1

Smash Cadet
Yoo-Air? Just say up air, and you won't sound ********.
Holy jeez. 12 posts into a thread and we've already got people calling other people ********.
I was just asking a question. Don't start a flame war over it.

sexysanta73

Smash Apprentice
When I read them I pronounce them en-air, eff-air, bee-air, dee-air, yoo-air; but when saying them out loud I'd never say it like that. I just pronounce it up/down/f/b/n-air.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Up air, back air, forward air, down air, neutral air. Like that :p

More often than that with many characters, i just refer to what the move looks like (kick, box, parachute) because it's shorter, doesn't sound as annoying, and helps people that know nothing about the character... :)

Shazz

Smash Journeyman
Holy jeez. 12 posts into a thread and we've already got people calling other people ********.
I was just asking a question. Don't start a flame war over it.
Dude chill out, I wasn't exactly pointing a knife at anyone.
I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my very general statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom