• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you play Puff on your controller?

Tags

Smash Cadet
Alright I've been basically wondering this ever since I started maining Puff for about 4 months now and I've been wondering...

How do you guys play your Puff with your controller?

Basically I've been dominantly using control and c stick for basically everything. The only time I use y or x (y in this case) is for wavedashing / wavelanding. I switch up my L-canceling now and then from L trigger to Z. It's just for some reason I feel constricted to use x and y if I want to use them for all my jumps / moving around. But the problem is when I go defensive (OoS / CC Wavedashing etc) I move my thumb to y, and when I want to strike for a punish I feel like I take too much time to move my thumb back to my regular position to do so.

So basically my question is: What is the most comfortable way to play Puff with your controller? Or should I just do what feels natural?

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Just do what feels natural, honestly

I use Y for all of my jumping, occasionally I use analogue stick up for certain situations like rising up-airs
R for my wavedashing, either trigger for my shielding, etc
I use a mixture of A button and c-stick for atacks, also given the situation and given what I used to jump

And then you have people like hungrybox who use analogue jump and Z for attacks/L-cancels almost exclusively

As long as you can consistently do what you need to do, there isn't a problem. If you are having problems, practice more or change something up.

Tags

Smash Cadet
Yeah I can definitely see Z being an "All-in-one" button for Nairs, L-canceling, and grabbing (For all aerials though seems a bit weird). I practice a lot every day and pretty much have everything down to muscle memory now, but I'll try switching it up now and then.

Fortune

Smash Journeyman
You could try using the right side of your right index finger on Y to jump. That way your right thumb is free to aerial with the C stick and you can move the control stick with your left thumb without interference from jumping. This is usually how I move in the air.

Zelbertoad

Smash Cadet
I don't use the z button , x button, R trigger, or c stick.

I use L for shielding, wavedash, and L-cancel, and L & A for grabbing. Y for jumping.

It's very minimalistic and comfortable. It helps me to reduce my reaction time by making my right thumb move as little distance as possible.

S2rulL

Smash Journeyman
When I started using Puff, I mainly just used the analog stick, A, R & Z. But more recently, I've been using L, Y & the C stick more, but mainly just using L for wavedashing and cancelling, Y for keeping up pressure and the C stick if I want to go for low% kills.

Massive

Smash Champion
You can flick a tilt and hit Z to do an aerial and not lose any momentum if you do it quickly/correctly.
It's better/more reliable to just to use the c-stick though, IMO.

Chikorita

Smash Rookie
I use X for all my jumping (I find it much, much more efficient to SH and WD with X) and I use L for shielding and wavedashing while I use R for L-Cancelling.

Top Bottom