• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do YOU play Olimar?

Solomon

Smash Rookie
I don't think playing a passive brawl Olimar is the way to go in PM, the games to fast. How I've been playing him is very aggressive, and most of my combos have me throwing pikmin after Fairs and nairs. Also pikmin management is key to kills for those saying he is too weak, but I do agree he is somewhat weak, many of my kills are off stage for now. My flow chart is sort of like this stage carry combos> try and get kill off stage with Fairs, Bairs or meteor smashes if I can't kill on stages with Blue pikmin grab or purple. Also using the white pikmin right is helpful, don't just throw and let it blow up, mix it up, what I do is throw let it get damage on the person and call it back before its killed or blows up (It's nice to have it for the flower so I try hard to at least have one white because it serves a ton of purposes). Once I get everything down I might type a guide or something after I go to locals and see how olimar fairs.
Many of the people complaining aren't good with Pikmin management or are playing the game like its brawl. I don't think Olimar is that bad as people are saying on the tier charts.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I hear all this talk about olimar being really good but I want to see olimar be good like in videos
And that last video made me happy to see him win
And how he plays to his strengths
There is some thread with videos with a guy named, " SS." He plays a good Olimar. He got games off of neon and beat neon's Lucas.

Pueri

Smash Rookie
Well, Olimars can be used defensively and offensively. His Pikmin throw is the most damaging projectile in the game, and he also owns the top two longest range grabs in the game.
Olimar's ground defense is extremely good, while his air defense is insanely poor, his back air being the most defensive one he has and even then isn't that good. So you should try staying on the ground best as possible and use the whistle to prevent a lot of juggling,since his air mobility is also low. Even though his edgeguarding ability is decent, you should be wary because if you miss and the enemy grabs the ledge, you're done. Olimar has one of the worst recoveries in the game, or at least one of the easiest to gimp. Though some people think he has 3 throws to KO. His up throw and back throw is very affective KO moves,and forward throw is a decent one, but better off with edgeguarding, used at right timing for the Pikmin to grab the enemy right before he or she grabs onto the ledge. There are some ways to make recovering easier, too. His up air gives him a little float bonus when using a second jump. It can be used to knockoff any edgehoggers, as well as Pikmin Throw with a Puple Pikmin. Knowing this, I say staying close to the ground while always using your amazing short-hop air attacks,grabs, and Pikmin Throw To overwhelm your enemy while staying safe.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
You can also use neutral-b for a little float when recovering I'm pretty sure it is more effective than up-air.
Also d-throw leads to up-smash even if high % against fastfallers, so while not a killthrow, it still is effective for setting up kills.
The little problems I have with Olimars grab are mostly its relatively speed. Luckily there are many forms and grabs and I base my grab game mostly on pivot grab because of its speed.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
Lots of grabs, linking into as many up-smashes and uairs as possible.

Also fairs/bairs to edgeguard or finish combos works wonders (as long as a white Pikmin isn't the one in front).

Seriously, I've had the most success with an all-out-aggro Olimar. Gotta focus on using that pummel when landing grabs though, **** stacks up really quick, even moreso with white Pikmin.

I think my favorite combo is nair to nair to nair to nair to nair to anything.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I find that the best way to play Olimar is throw your Pikmin off the cliff, then combo with nair. When you get the enemy to about 175%, you kill them with ftilt.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Well, Olimars can be used defensively and offensively. His Pikmin throw is the most damaging projectile in the game, and he also owns the top two longest range grabs in the game.
Olimar's ground defense is extremely good, while his air defense is insanely poor, his back air being the most defensive one he has and even then isn't that good. So you should try staying on the ground best as possible and use the whistle to prevent a lot of juggling,since his air mobility is also low. Even though his edgeguarding ability is decent, you should be wary because if you miss and the enemy grabs the ledge, you're done. Olimar has one of the worst recoveries in the game, or at least one of the easiest to gimp. Though some people think he has 3 throws to KO. His up throw and back throw is very affective KO moves,and forward throw is a decent one, but better off with edgeguarding, used at right timing for the Pikmin to grab the enemy right before he or she grabs onto the ledge. There are some ways to make recovering easier, too. His up air gives him a little float bonus when using a second jump. It can be used to knockoff any edgehoggers, as well as Pikmin Throw with a Puple Pikmin. Knowing this, I say staying close to the ground while always using your amazing short-hop air attacks,grabs, and Pikmin Throw To overwhelm your enemy while staying safe.
Please nobody listen to this guy.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Anyone use Up-B other than recovering? ****'s a good mix up for edge guarding (say Kirby is floating in range of the attack).

Even as a last resort combo finisher if need be, like if U-Air doesn't kill. It shouldn't be used alot but when you're high up it can kill opponents of the sides (if you're amazing at forward thinking and have a purple or white available at the end) or just launches them offstage to give you stage control.

I play aggressively. Although my main Smash partner usually plays DK so I have to be extremely defensive until I find an opening for a grab or up-smash. Olimar is amazing in the air. I use fair to kill alot once they're above a certain percent. Or I'll gimp offstage.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Only real use I've found for it, other than ending juggles sometimes, is using it OoS. It's not too bad at getting opponents off you with the right timing.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
I picked up Olimar pretty recently and have been really enjoying him and question why I didn't pick him up sooner. In contrast to my rather offensive Sonic I tend to play Olimar a lot more defensively, quite often staying at midrange and trying to force an approach before punishing with something like a NAir out of shield or a grab, or anti-airing them with USmash. Olimar's combo game is solid and his grab game is excellent. I almost always like to have blue Pikmin. A 15% DThrow that is able to set up combos alongside a 15% UThrow that kills as well as strong knockback aerials and smashes and the second highest durability makes them amazing imo. All Pikmin are good in their own right though, working with a certain combination is one of the most fun elements about using this character. Adapting how you play slightly depending not only what Pikmin you have but also how many and whether or not they are flowered just makes this character feel pretty dynamic and interesting.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Except for Yellow.
You get a bigger hitbox but ... errrrrr not about that yellow life.

I swear Smashville gives you more than other places? Or is this just me?

Basically, if I have 4, yellows are the first to thrown offstage,

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
Yellows are good for being thrown as distractions and nothing else.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
I play him extremely defensively. I wait for an approach then usually RAR away and punish with yellow/red/white throw. Or if I have a purple-blue lineup I'll throw in the purple fishing for a shield or just a hit then run in for the grab.

I like to line up my RYW pikmin behind a blue so I can D-throw or U-throw then while they are in tumble cover them in pikmin. And usually follow up with up-air.

I also like piling pikmin on someone then grabbing and pummeling until they come out of the grab, If I get 3 RYW pikmin on the opponent and grab with blue, then by the time they mash out they are still coverid in RYW and my blue is ready for a regrab. It's amazing for racking up damage.

Once I get enough damage I can DI trap people with back-throw/Up-throw for kills, and if they DI either correctly you can usually still get followups.

Also, gimping with purple throws is REALLY easy.

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Y'all defensive lil men
Start throwing those minions or there will be hell to pay

Last edited:

Morbellix

Smash Rookie
Can someone add me to the skype group, if it isn't totally dead. My skype is the same as my username.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
As far as I know a Skype grip group was never created.
It was, it's just dead. I'm in it, and people don't talk in that mess. I wouldn't mind trying to revive it though.

Top Bottom