• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do YOU play Olimar?

B 2

Smash Rookie
Just wondering what everybodies playstyle is with Olimar and he's best at?

I've been told he plays really campy, but I've been enjoying playing him aggressively and applying hard pressure with Pikmin!

BackwardCap

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1822-0407-6208
I usually just threw as many Pikmin as possible and call them back once the opponent got to close so I could knock them away and do it over again.

DeFish

Smash Apprentice
I've been playing mostly Sheik in P:M, and have found a good bit of success using a playstyle similar to hers.

Olimar's d-throw sets up nicely for u-tilt/u-smash/n-air at low-medium percents, and in general I've found his aerials to be his biggest strength. I'm still getting used to his throw range, which seems a bit smaller than in vBrawl, but he seems to have a very strong grab game as well. Overall, I'd say that he plays about the way I was expecting, but contrary to his very campy playstyle in vBrawl, he seems to reward aggressive play in P:M.

OliClutch117

Smash Apprentice
So far I spam pikmin to build percent. Dthrow is good for setting up combos and I try to use tons of throws because Olimars are good. Uthrow can kill floater characters at surprisingly low percents. Nair is good for low percent comboing. Usmash and Dsmash seem to be my main kill moves so far.

Also does anyone know the best way to recover and some good edgeguarding techniques?

RabidJackal

Smash Apprentice
So far I spam pikmin to build percent. Dthrow is good for setting up combos and I try to use tons of throws because Olimars are good. Uthrow can kill floater characters at surprisingly low percents. Nair is good for low percent comboing. Usmash and Dsmash seem to be my main kill moves so far.

Also does anyone know the best way to recover and some good edgeguarding techniques?

It really seems like Oli's edgeguarding / ledge-game is pretty slow, but can be strong. RAR-wavedash seems really necessary for him to grab the ledge easy. Once you're on the ledge he can cover a lot of options with b-air. The neutral B stall for recovering is really great. I've been saving my double jump for after the nB stall and it provides you with many options to get back onstage. Unfortunately it seems like his nB stall can only be effectively used once per air time, as it's 2nd and 3rd use seems to gain almost no height.

Has anyone tried using his Up-B as an offensive option? I've only used it a few times offensively and it feels slow/not-reliable. It might be able to be used to extend juggles/combos, but I was wondering if anyone else has more input on it's use offensively

OliClutch117

Smash Apprentice
I use Up-B to finish off juggle combos. Also depending on how they DI out of your Down Throw you can do Dthrow into Up-B though a Fair, Bair, or Uair seem like better options.

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
Ground game:
* I like to use his smashes to zone a bit and poke.
*dash attack sets up very very nicely, depending on DI it autocombos into up smash. i love looking for openings to use it
*his throws are god like. I keep an eye out for the blue pikmin at kill percents. up/back and forward throw pretty much can all kill easy.
* Dthrow is great for combos.
*found out some of the meatier pikmin when thrown (not smashed) can take smashes and produce that freeze frame effect to let both players know the hit connected, I'm gonna play around and see how legit it is. because if so it's free grab/ anything.

air game:
* fair and bair still great.
*i like nair alot, it racks up damage quick and sets up for grabs when shuffled.
* nB really does help him alot. other than recovery i find a good way to fake out when going towards an opponent.
* not really confident enough to edge gaurd off stage with him i'm not gonna lie.

GeZ

Smash Lord
In my experience Olimar plays a neutral game very well. He can harass and pile on damage but can't keep away too well if he wants to play campy, and gets ****ing murdered for being too aggressive. I don't know who you guys are playing against who you can lean on but that shouldn't be a thing. He gets thrashed hard for being greedy.

I like to stay in the neutral while sneaking in Pikmin onto my opponent at any opportunity and punishing/ pressuring when they try to shuck off the Pikmin. The inherent pressure of taking constant ticking damage is nice to make your opponent sweat a bit. I think that Olimar will really shine if the player can get a good grasp of using Pikmin for specifically what they're good at. This applies less so to comboing, but greatly to his neutral game as it dictates how your interactions will go. A good thing to keep in mind is blue Pikmin have the best grab in the game and amazing throws to boot, red and yellow Pikmin combo well and are really catch all (while varying in knockback angle), and purple and white Pikmin are very niche and want to be used precisely.

Nido

ily Sebby
I tried to play Olimar like in brawl but it's hopeless, I try play him semi aggro but camp a little bit at the same time.

But I really struggle playing as Olimar anyway lol.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I tried to play Olimar like in brawl but it's hopeless, I try play him semi aggro but camp a little bit at the same time.

But I really struggle playing as Olimar anyway lol.

He's got a distinctive style that is tough to get used to. My first few games against my friend who plays Marth were all disasters.

Nido

ily Sebby
I can see that it's tough to get used to, before I gave it much thought I instantly thought he'd be the worst character in the game.

I might give Olimar so more time but he's not a character I'd invest a lot of time into.

B 2

Smash Rookie
I've been playing him for a few hours today (vsing bots because nobody in my area really plays P:M.) i'm really enjoying him. I'm fairly new at smash though so i'm spending most of my time in Training L canceling, short hopping and all that jazz.

I really think when he dies, he should spawn back with 3 pikmin. having 0 just seems silly, of course you can quickly get some with the invulnerability you have, but it's a time waster, and if you accidentally get 1pikmin to many and go out of that invulnerability you can get punished hard. Even lucario starts with a Stage one Aura Sphere.

Inty17

Smash Journeyman
Olimar's nothing like any other character in P:M. His damage output from his side-B is so good, it's like he doesn't need combos. Obviously they happen, but his goal is really to keep people out and to punish every time they use a move to get a Pikmin off of them. This requires being in a very specific spot all the time.

I personally think he's good against every character in the game except spacies. I'm having a hard time against Fox right now, but everybody else is fairly manageable by just running away. He still feels like a Brawl character, but I don't mind. So is Samus.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Olimar's nothing like any other character in P:M. His damage output from his side-B is so good, it's like he doesn't need combos. Obviously they happen, but his goal is really to keep people out and to punish every time they use a move to get a Pikmin off of them. This requires being in a very specific spot all the time.

I personally think he's good against every character in the game except spacies. I'm having a hard time against Fox right now, but everybody else is fairly manageable by just running away. He still feels like a Brawl character, but I don't mind. So is Samus.

I personally think he'll flourish more in the neutral, on account of his range game being so varied but ultimately weak. He just doesn't have the tools to stay too far away and really benefit from it.

Inty17

Smash Journeyman
He can't really 0 to death anything, so he's reliant on pokes and edgeguards. That's basically all there is to it. Pull Pikmin, throw Pikmin, recall Pikmin, Fair or Bair, Pull/Throw Pikmin, etc. He's just so simple.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
He can't really 0 to death anything, so he's reliant on pokes and edgeguards. That's basically all there is to it. Pull Pikmin, throw Pikmin, recall Pikmin, Fair or Bair, Pull/Throw Pikmin, etc. He's just so simple.
There's more to him than just that. He has a BEAST nair, a good jab combo and tilts. His nair leads to a lot of things, like usmash, which then leads to MAOR. His jab combo is pretty good at sending the gtfo message and his tilts are nice. He has plenty more, so to just say, "he has a peek er two," is a under statement.

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
I think he falls about mid tier. My brother plays olimar, and uses him like a total zoning character. It seems like baiting for grabs and farming pikmin are extremely effective strategies with him. His upsmash out of shield is amazing, I think you should all try implementing it when you're being pressured. His neutral air eats up dodges and sets up for combos, making it a viable tool up close. On the other hand, he is knocked out at relatively low percents and easily gimped. I think with him, it is necessary to try to do long range punishes and stay away for the most part. Hope this helps.

Inty17

Smash Journeyman
I'm currently working on whistle aerial mobility, since you can wavebounce with all his b moves. It's pretty absurd how tricky he is in the air, but it's hard to keep track of your Pikmin if you whistle all the time.

Nido

ily Sebby
Add me, I'm tis.nido

Although I might not always be around for discussions because of timezones.

B 2

Smash Rookie
Add me for Skype Bussell. (With the full stop.) Although i'm from Australia, so I may or may not be online at the best times.

SouthernGent

Smash Cadet

I personally think he'll flourish more in the neutral, on account of his range game being so varied but ultimately weak. He just doesn't have the tools to stay too far away and really benefit from it.
Olimar is certainly a character that with the right spacing can dominate in the neutral game but like was said before me he has a hard time keeping people out. I have found that Olimar has some ridiculous edge game so my main strategy has been to rack up damage on my opponents while maintaining space by wavebouncing my pikmin throws and then try to get them off stage to just edge guard the hell out of them with F-airs & B-airs and if I am feeling really confident then D-airs.

I would also like to get in on the skype group add me @ Spacewhalebandito

GeZ

Smash Lord
He has a tough time getting people off of him but with good space control he can make the process hellish for the opponent. His edgeguarding game is good, but scary at the same time. He's so vulnerable to being swatted that any character with high aerial mobility can still be a huge threat if you chase them off stage. So offstage edgeguarding will definitely vary depending on the matchup.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I feel like he has the necessary tools (jab combo is beast) to keep people away. The only people I think would be hard to play keep away with, are the hyper aggressive characters.

For edgeguards, you don't have to always go for that off stage fair or bair, even though, they are really good. You could just dsmash or use the forsaken ftilt. Ftilt flat out kills at higher % and at mid % it can set up some easy edgeguards.

NickLeo

Smash Apprentice
I've had the most success forcing an approach with side B and punishing with a retreating pivot grab->dthrow->short hop fair->tech chase. repeat or reset
With certain characters at low percents the classic dthrow->usmash->uair works
Also I'd HIGHLY recommend saving the white pikmin throws for immediately before a grab opportunity to ensure massive damage

Master_Morrison

Smash Cadet
I hear all this talk about olimar being really good but I want to see olimar be good like in videos
And that last video made me happy to see him win
And how he plays to his strengths

Top Bottom