• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you play Kirby?

Amide

Smash Lord
My friend switched mains, and now plays Kirby. I'd normally expect to five stock him but I want to 10 stock him. Any tips for fighting Kirby with Meta Knight?

ckm

Smash Journeyman
Watch out for his Fsmash. That thing is nasty.... and be careful when trying to shuttle loop when hes high up. If he does his downB (i think its down b...), you will die.

giuocob

Smash Journeyman
Normally the offstage is absolutely yours, but don't forget that KIRBY CAN KILL YOU WITH HIS WALL OF PAIN. So be careful when recovering; his Bair outprioritizes a lot of your stuff. Fsmash just ***** your tornado, so watch out. If you SL while he's doing his Dair, I think you lose out, so be careful there. But he's got much more lag than you on everything.

Meta_Master

Smash Cadet
Whatever you do, dont let him Kirbycide you, so be careful when trying to edgegaurd with your Fairs and bairs and Shuttle loops. =X

Protathlitis

Smash Cadet
Though Kirby has power in both the air and on the ground, he seems to be much slower while grounded. That said, engaging him in the air is fine, but try to keep him on the ground so that you can render his ground attacks useless with your lightning-fast sword strikes.

boom-man97

Smash Journeyman
make sure to use your grabs to your advantage, but dont charge in with a dash grab or you will get SOMETHING bad in the face. and never end up under him when in the air or you will get bricked.

R1ngo

Smash Journeyman
you play 10stock games??? that must last an hour, i would just say tilt alot and don't get grabbed

Kirby Magatsu

Smash Journeyman
Though Kirby has power in both the air and on the ground, he seems to be much slower while grounded. That said, engaging him in the air is fine, but try to keep him on the ground so that you can render his ground attacks useless with your lightning-fast sword strikes.
This can work, but Kirby aerial hammer outpriorizes MK's tilts.

Abuse of UpB against Kirby, the rock have much lag, then your shuttle loop will work better, buttake care from kirby hammer, Fsmash and Dair, this last can kill MK if you are very below from the stage.

And don't let him Kirbycide you.

AfroThunder396

Smash Cadet
His Fair and Bair have really good knockback so be cautious when you engage him in the air. Mach Tornado ALOT, but remember he can outprioritize you if you choose the wrong time. Don't be afraid to fight off the edge, Kirby's recovery is very good and can recover from far away. But he's so light you can launch him far off the stage from mid-air, so it might be easier to KO him of the edge with a well placed Fair or Bair. Don't forget, you can recover from places off the map that he might not be able to.

Also, command the grabs. If Kirby gets more grabs than you, he can open them up into some nasty aerial combos or set up a smash attack. If you get the better grabs, you break up his rhythm and rack up some damage quickly. Chain grabbing is very effective, but be sure not to rush to grab him too quickly, or he WILL punish you.

And remember, your Dsmash can hit behind you as well, hit him hard when he doesn't expect it!

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
Be caareful, although kirby has a speed disadvantage on the ground his tilts and grabs are very effective. his tilts arent too slow and hit really hard. also his grabs can lead to combos and are strong. plus a sweetspotted usmash will take out a mk at low %. just to say his ground attacks arent useless. and it was mentioned that fsmash destroys tornado. so be careful.

ckm

Smash Journeyman
i still dont understand why people dont list kirby as a fairly tough matchup for MK. I always have trouble against good kirbys.... for all the reasons already listed.

Vulcan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaberVulcan
Id have to agree with control most of the grabs, Ive played a few good MK's online and they tended to kill me whenever I got out grab combo'd (most noteably down throw combos). Everything else that I did to win was already said in thread (Kirbycides, Rock into SL, FSmash tornados, Hammer edge guards).

Amide

Smash Lord
OK, I played the Kirby. I won pretty much every match, but those Kirbycides can catch you off guard! Anyways, thanks guys.

ShaolinAce

Smash Ace
Keep attacling like with most chars. Air dodge the rock. Watch out for the hammer. when he recovers keep fair. Watch out for his fmash. And your tornado is better than his if he does copy, just make sure you use it AFTER him.

Master Raven

Smash Master
What I want to know most is how to counter his Bair through methods other than Mach Tornado. I got *****ed at by some Kirby player today because he accused me of spamming MT when I was really just using it to counter his Bair. Fair and Bair most certainly didn't work, and although I haven't tried it yet, I doubt Shuttle Loop can damage a Bairing Kirby without getting knocked back by the kick.

Top Bottom