• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you moonwalk when not in dash animation?

NU13E

Smash Rookie
ive seen mango moonwalk and grab the edge long after he is out of his dash animation... how does one perform thiss? =D

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
mango does this a lot with fox, and i don't quite get it either. is it like "walk right, dash left, moonwalk?'

PK Webb

Smash Champion
i do it all the time and yes walk right hit left and from there do a half circle

NU13E

Smash Rookie
im pretty sure that mango is still running tho when he does the moonwalk, hes just not in his dash animation. like he would run from battlefields left edge to the right edge and just moonwalk to edgehog

lanabo

Smash Apprentice
I don't think you can do moonwalk when running, but I've seen Mango do it a bunch of times while at full walk speed with Fox. Maybe that's what you're talking about?

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Slightly tap the opposite direction that you want to go and then tap the analog slighty to the direction you want to go on the next frame.

DondonSF

Smash Journeyman
the moonwalk doesn't need to be done from a dash,you pretty much just need full walk speed.you can do it after a dash but if you're already close to the edge you can just walk and then do it.it wont get you as far but it will do enough.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Ok I'm surprised no one pointed this out (maybe I missed it) but, The reason why it looks so fast is because he wavedashes first. So if your running to the edge you wavedash while holding forward to quickly transition into maximum walk speed, then you quickly transition into standard moonwalk (ie hit back immediately rotate back to forward going through crouch).

So if you time it perfectly there's barely any walking period at all.

Excision

Smash Rookie
All Mango does is Wavedash --> Dash Opposite Direction --> Half Circle, rather than Walk --> Dash Opposite Direction --> Half Circle. Looks faster because he wavedashes out of the run animation and then moonwalks.

joeplicate

Smash Master
you can't moonwalk while you're in a run

you actually can't do a true "moonwalk" when you're in anything OTHER than an initial dash

that's because a moonwalk, by definition, is when you manipulate your momentum to slide backwards while still in the initial dash animation

the way to moonwalk the farthest (with basically any character) is to WALK in the direction that you're going to moonwalk in, then dash the OPPOSITE direction, and quickly half circle back in the direction that you were walking towards in the first place.

this way, the "walk" momentum stacks with your moonwalk momentum, and you slide super far to the other side. like arc said, if you're in a full run and you WAVEDASH then it puts you in a walk/slide/standing still animation, and you can moonwalk from there. this is probably what you're watching mango do, although there are a lot of extra trixies you can master, like crip walking like silent spectre lol.

honestly the best way to learn how to moonwalk (and in a broader sense, how walking/running momentum in melee works) is to play around with it on your own. you'll learn it the best that way :)

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
The wavedash is only for the purpose of transitioning between run and walk. Alternatively Mango could do run->CROUCH->walk->moonwalk and he'd get the same length moonwalk but get more mileage out of his run.

Top Bottom