• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you host a tournament?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuyariel

Smash Rookie
I wanted to host a small tournament for SSBM, but I would need to know how.

I would appreciate it if some of you guys would give me some tips or advice on how to do it.

Thanks in advance.

N64

Smash Champion
Well, I don't have any personal experience in the matter (except for just a couple college tournies I've helped run), but I've been around a few people who have.

First, you need to find somewhere to host the tourney from. A gym, auditorium, classroom, or other room or group of rooms that can hold at least 20ish people (but probably more if you're expecting a decent turnout) all work. Also, if you can't find a place to host it for free (probably the case if you can't get the college/school you go to to let you use a room), try to find a cheap place that still will work alright. Assuming you get a decent turnout, a portion of the entry fees of everyone can go to paying this. Reserve a day (probably a saturday) that you can use the room from. When figuring out which day to host it, check on smashboards to make sure it's not on the same day as any other tourneys in the area, so there isn't any overlap.

Next, decide on what types of events you have at your tourney. Usually tourneys have a 1v1 and a 2v2 event, along with occasionally low tier, crews, ffa, other random tourneys. If it's your first tourney, probably just stick to a 1v1 and a 2v2 event. Figure out what ruleset you want for your tourneys. Look around at tourneys in this forum for some examples. Most people go with MLG rules, which are around here somewhere. Set the entry fees for each of the events as well.

Next, try to get as many TVs and gamecubes with smash as possible for the day of the tourney. If you need more setups, let people who could be coming know and see if they can bring TVs/cubes.

Then, when all of that has come together, let everyone know about the tourney. Post the tourney here on smashboards with a date, start time, location, and layout(events being held and rules being used). If you're at a college or earlier school, see if you can put up some fliers about your tourney or somehow get the word out about it.

Then, just do your best to make sure everything runs smoothly the day of the event. Get there an hour early or so to setup everything and get ready. Then allow a little while (usually 1-2 hours) for people to show up and sign up for the events. Once everyone's signed up, randomize the brackets (or seed them based on skill/location if you feel confident in it). Let people know who should be playing who at the moment and ensure that matches that need to happen are going on. It usually helps to have a large piece of paper or projector or computer screen with the brackets so everyone can see them when they want to.

Once the events are over, give the top three (or two or four or however many you want to pay out to) their winnings, and pat yourself on the back. If you need help cleaning up the place afterwards, just ask some participants, we're usually nice helpful people. Make sure the place is pretty much how you left it, so that they'll let you use it for any additional tourneys later.

It'll probably help if you can get a friend to help you host and make sure everything runs smoothly.

That's about all I can think of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom