• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you hold the controller using Falco?

daddy neptune

Smash Apprentice
I've seen a few sweet SSBM players hold the controller a certain way. I was thinking using Falco is there a certain way to hold the controller when doing certain techs?

Ex: Shine cancels etc;

Miharu

Smash Hero
I use standard, but some people do use "the claw", though I believe those who do usually play Fox.

falco_4_life

Smash Lord
**** bro just hold it the way u feel comfortable. yall aint gotta copy other pro or real good players just b yoself and practice. not tryin to get mad or nothin but **** there b some dumb threads n da falco discussion.

but yeah just do it the way u feel comfortable

vericz

Smash Champion
I've seen the claw, for either side, the arcade style, normal style, using middle fingers for L trigger, and it goes on and on. If you feel comfortable holding it the normal way then thats fine because it is still possible to do all the tactics no matter how the controller is held.

lengeta

Smash Ace
You just need to train your hands, how you hold it isn't what's important. I do hold the controller quite a bit looser with Fox and Falco than I do with other characters and other games though.

A-Laon

Smash Master
I hold it as boring as possible. Right thumb over X, left thumb on the stick, right index finger on R, and absolutely nothing on anything else.

invertigo

Smash Journeyman
**** bro just hold it the way u feel comfortable. yall aint gotta copy other pro or real good players just b yoself and practice. not tryin to get mad or nothin but **** there b some dumb threads n da falco discussion.

but yeah just do it the way u feel comfortable
theres absolutely nothing wrong with him asking about other styles. if he wants to find out if another style suits him better, let him. its like ping pong, butterfly and regular style are very different and people feel more natural with one.

twnz

Smash Cadet
i hold my left thumb on the right c stick, and my right thumb on the left analog stick, my left thumb goes to the XY AB, my right goes to the D-pad, and sometimes i dont even use my right hand and sometimes i also dont use my left hand.

If your that dumb and ******** and believed me.. if thats even possible, yeah i was kidding.

But yeah. Hold it normally, find out whichever way is comfortable for you. sometimes i see my hands holding the controller not straight.. try to keep it straight lol

falco_4_life

Smash Lord
theres absolutely nothing wrong with him asking about other styles. if he wants to find out if another style suits him better, let him. its like ping pong, butterfly and regular style are very different and people feel more natural with one.
u right there aint nothin wrong with him askin the question i just think the thread was stupid and he could of asked it on someone elses instead of makin one, but i understand n all cause its his first post and about my first 10 posts and threads were dumb. lol but yeah i aint gettin mad at him or nothin, and atleast i answered the question

Giggidax

Smash Ace
i just hold hte controller normally. the claw grip is just way too weird. i can understand if ur using it for halo tho.
but my fingers are faster using the regular hold

Akebo

Smash Apprentice
I hold it with my ring finger on L and R, right middle finger on Z, pointer on Y and my thumb hovering over B and A. I don't know if there's a name for mine, but I tell you: it helps with SHB.

Jazriel

Smash Ace
What's the claw? I would've thought the only variation in "how to hold a controller" would be if you have your right index finger on R or Z and wether you use X or Y (or analog stick) to jump. I can't see any other way to hold a contoller.

L: Left index finger
R: RIght middle finger
Z: Right index finger
A, B, Y, C-stick: Right thumb
Analog stick: Left thumb
Start: If I'm resetting a game I do it with my left, otherwise I do it with my right

Lol, what a funny thread.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I use the claw.

It's where you have your right index finger on X.

How I play:

Right index on X.
Right middle on R/Z
Thumb for A/B/C-stick
I hold the control stick with my index and thumb as opposed to just my thumb like most people...

>_>...

K.C. Cloud

Smash Ace
I think I use standard for both fox and falco.

Right thum on A
Left Thumb on Joy Stick
Index fingers on L/R buttons

Jazriel

Smash Ace
Standard vs Claw: Which can JC shine better? I want to be able to do JC shine infinites, any advice?

daddy neptune

Smash Apprentice
Man I didn't think I'd get this many comments. Yeah my boy Mac (first real sweet player in smash I've seen face to face) held the controller with his index finger on the X button and his thumb worked the A and B buttons and C-stick and his technique was sharper. He played as Luigi so it made me think about how to do it with Falco.

falco_4_life

Smash Lord
I use the claw.

It's where you have your right index finger on X.

How I play:

Right index on X.
Right middle on R/Z
Thumb for A/B/C-stick
I hold the control stick with my index and thumb as opposed to just my thumb like most people...

>_>...
yeah i saw that at Evo. n i was like wtf. O yeah i thought u was better hylian, u barely beat me. we gotta $mm next time we play

DJ Boonbuggy

Smash Apprentice
The Claw is what Akebo does without knowing it. It's using your right index finger for Y or X, your thumb for B/A/C-Stick, right Middle finger for Z/R (or you can use middle = z, ring = R, like Akebo described, either way), and your left hand is just the stereotypical left hand. (Boring huh :p)

I guess it looked like a claw to someone, but the major point is the index finger over the Y/X. It makes SHFFLing ridiculous if you get good at it. I've been thinking about practicing it, but I'm too lazy to relearn everything a different way, and it doesn't matter all that much to be honest. It would just make it easier for things like double shines while standing and shining out of shield, etc.

h.e.x

Smash Rookie
My grip is dynamic, it changes frequently (though more so with Fox than Falco.) I generally use my middle fingers on L and R, and--brace yourselves--wavedash with L!

DJ Boonbuggy

Smash Apprentice
Wavedashing with L is the way cool people roll h.e.x, glad to see you're in the club =P
What I've decided is to play regular style consistently, but when I need to do ridiculous amounts of shining, I'm going to go arcade style (right hand above the controller so as to have my index finger on b and my middle finger on Y, which allows for easy, easy shining without leaving the ground. <3 falco's short hop compared to fox for shines lol)

h.e.x

Smash Rookie
Sick. Are you by any chance left handed, or do you just find wavedashing with L to be more comfortable? I started my smash career as a Marth and I just loved those wavesmashes. I figured wavedashing with L left my right hand more open to the C-stick. That plus being left handed.

DJ Boonbuggy

Smash Apprentice
My dad's left handed, and I grew up using computers a ton. Given the fact that it was his computer, the mouse was on the left side, and because of that, I became relatively ambidextrous... so I'm right-handed, but ambidextrous. I never thought about it that way, but I guess it makes sense :p

h.e.x

Smash Rookie
Yes, I'd say the vast majority of players I encounter wavedash with R. It's not that big of a deal, it's just whatever makes you comfortable. I like wavedashing and waveshining with L because you just keep your finger there after L canceling something. But it's up to you.

leechy9

Smash Cadet
well, i hold it like this:

L: left index
R: dont use it
X, A, B: right thumb
Analog: left thumb
Z: right index

Top Bottom