• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U How do you guys practice?

CHICO 93

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperCheekNasty
Soo how do all of you guys practice for a tourny? What modes do you play? And what do you do to prepare for a tourny?

KirbCider

Smash Ace
Soo how do all of you guys practice for a tourny? What modes do you play? And what do you do to prepare for a tourny?
I've never been to a Tournament before, but I would say going against actual opponents instead of CPUs is always the best option.

If you have friends IRL whom you can practice with that would be a pretty good solution. If you do not, you can try the Online Section here on the fourms where they have a Thread dedicated to finding opponents to go against, although it may take a little time for somebody to respond. I've faced tons of people here who are my skill level or higher (who have also been very nice) so I'd recommend this.

They'll even offer you input and advice if you ask for it which would be beneficial if you intend to play in a Tournament. Plus you even benefit more due to the fact the matches are much more intense than For Glory can offer you. I've had some great matches here.

If you are pressed on time then For Glory may be the only other option. I've seen/read various posts here from (what I assume are) competitive players saying that For Glory isn't the best for the competitive area though, so use caution of you do intend to use it for practice. I personally have no issue with For Glory, and use it to practice almost daily but then again I don't exactly play competitively.

Hopefully this helped in some way.

Last edited:

GeflGabe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeflGabe
3DS FC
4141-7244-4594
Switch FC
SW-7469-5871-5880
I practice every other day, and I make sure to study match-ups and techs I have not yet mastered with friends online. I await the day I enter a tournament, until then this will be my practice routine other than using my Amiibos to educate myself on "gitting gud" in general.

SirSquire

Smash Rookie
NNID
hap356
What I would say is the best way to practice is to juggle practicing tech skill and practicing against other people. In games like melee where tech skill is more important, practicing that might take priority over some other things. In smash 4 where there is less tech it is important to practice by playing. If you are to practice tech skill, practice one thing for a bit or one approach option and then try to use it in combat. Places like Anthers Latter is what I find best, as it has better players than For Glory. Asking for matches on streams, discords or on smashboards is also good. Studying matchups and players is also important but always remember that actual playing is most important, especially off-line. Playing friendlies at tournaments or sparing with a friend is very fun and less frustrating! Overall the best ways to get better is to practice playing. This video also might help, good luck!

Last edited:
Top Bottom