• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you get out of pressure with G&W

The Phenom

Smash Lord
Lots of WD OoS? Lightshield? Tilt shield?
If on stages with platforms, get to the platforms; use dairs to worn of approaches and counter them.

If there are no platforms try being in the air and come down with Dairs. Don't abuse staying on the ledges.

If you are vs. Falco duck a lot and mix it up a lot with these methods to minimize pressure.
---------

*Someone else give him specific ideas when to WD OOS, lighhsheild, tilt shield.*

DualCats

Smash Ace
It's probably more important to learn how not to get into those situations because G&W has a seriously tough time dealing with it. A lot of that is learning to identify mindgames and knowing how to space. Don't let your opponent get behind you or below you (unless you're on a platform.) Platforms are G&W's best friend ever. If you can consistently edge-cancel aerials, it makes evading these situations that much easier. Another effective option is to space fairs (and occasionally bairs) such that it discourages your opponent from getting in. G&W's wavedash is pretty long so make use of that all the time.

As far as getting out of pressure, the Phenom pretty much nailed it. Platforms are glorious. Light shielding is also a realistic option but because of the terribleness of G&W's shield, camping shield is a bad option. You can also get out of a lot of nasty situations with up-b. G&W's up-b comes out extremely quickly and is often too fast for anyone to follow up. Obviously, it's not such a good idea on FD but anywhere in which you can get to a top platform makes it a viable option. Also, G&W's jab has pretty good range and can be used to interrupt pressure. Shield tilt is pretty much a necessity any time you have to shield with G&W. God forbid you get shield poked by Falco's dair. @____@

Walt

Smash Ace
it really is too bad that usmash is so slow. if it came out like Doc's, usmash OoS or just as a general anti it would be really good.

DualCats

Smash Ace
God, I wish G&W could usmash out of shield. :< Your best OoS option in a case like that would probably be up-b. But if you really want to get a hit in, fair OoS is a respectable option as well as bair. G&W's grab range is too short for it to be as practical as many other characters' but it's still a realistic option. You can also uair. People unfamiliar with the matchup general don't expect it and it actually comes out pretty quickly. If you can connect with both hitboxes (or just the second hitbox, technically) it can give you a lot of room to breathe.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Up-B out of shield comes out frame 2 if you want to take the risk.

Walt

Smash Ace
I'll have to experiment with it to see how big the hitbox of up-b covers good spacing on shield.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
Yeah edge cancelling with G&W is ez, so I guess I'll do that. Never really thought about up-b OoS since it doesn't look like a move that would ever strike me to work unlike Link's, Samus' or Marth's, but it makes sense seeing as how fast and how long it lasts

I realized that d-air is pretty good since the huge disjointed delayed hitbox

If only chute came out faster it would be the ultimate OoS move

I just started playing G&W like 3 days ago...

He's so fun especially when your chair/manhole trades with Marth's up-b like a champion

j00t

Smash Champion
d-air isn't as huge as you'd think, and it can get outspaced by a lot of moves.

There are no real safe options for GnW out of shield. The best way to avoid it is to just not shield at all. Or if you're really good at lightshielding then you can give that a try.

Walt

Smash Ace
I light shield like, 100% of the time with G&W. maybe getting a shield grab on bad spacing isn't worth the chance of getting stabbed.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Dair isn't as good as the move looks on paper because it lacks effective hitbox drag on retreat like Fair/Bair/Nair have. Downward & upward moves suffer from this flaw often, and aren't supposed to be used as lingering annoyers but rather to finish combos.

j00t

Smash Champion
I think if the hitboxes actually reached to the bottom of the key then it'd be better for stuff like this. Sadly it isn't.

Honestly, just don't shield at all. :p

Walt

Smash Ace
I just want to say how much utilt ***** on YS platforms.

I also try to not shield, just like with falcon. it sucks and you can't do anything good when it happens. just avoid it.

Kaiasian

Smash Cadet
Can somebody clarify edge-canceling to me?

Also on this note, how do you escape tech chases, other than being random?
G&W's roll is so freaking slow that several times, my opponent can just wait for the animation to begin and then respond.

j00t

Smash Champion
Can somebody clarify edge-canceling to me?

Also on this note, how do you escape tech chases, other than being random?
G&W's roll is so freaking slow that several times, my opponent can just wait for the animation to begin and then respond.
You don't.

You might think I'm being sarcastic but I'm really not - Game and Watch is in a -horrible- position when he is put on the ground. Even moreso than the rest of the cast.

DualCats

Smash Ace
Often, your best option is to either tech in place or don't tech and try to get-up attack. It's a ****ty option but when you can be reaction tech-chased by anyone with the mental fortitude of a sea cucumber, there's not much of a choice. >__<

edge-cancel refers to ending the lag of an aerial attack via sliding off of the edge of a surface after landing. G&W can do this very easily and, because some of his aerials cannot be l-cancelled, it becomes something of a necessity.

Kaiasian

Smash Cadet
Well, that's great to know.

That's for the tip on edge cancelling. I'll try it out.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
Well, that's great to know.

That's for the tip on edge cancelling. I'll try it out.
If only G&W's b-air was as good of a shield breaker as it was in Brawl...

When I get tech-chased with Falcon I realized that it's not worth trying to roll or sidestep in the opposite direction of their chase. I just try to jump out of it most of the time with a d-air or something or just don't tech

But it's hard anyways cause d-throw knee *****

Lol if you could u-smash OoS... Would be almost as **** as rest OoS

Man G&W had the potential to be such a good char imo

IE. Better sidestep, roll, shield, if u-smash was faster, if n-air was faster, if you could l-cancel b-air, if down-B cancelled faster

if he wasn't so light

if Fox didn't exist

I am currently taking notes from this Qerb guy

SuperMatt

Smash Champion
i actually think falling down with a nair is better than key...more hitbox on the sides of him means the gujy under you cant do that stupid thing where they move out of the way and then hit you

DualCats

Smash Ace
i actually think falling down with a nair is better than key...more hitbox on the sides of him means the gujy under you cant do that stupid thing where they move out of the way and then hit you
This.

I sh key at lower percentages near the ground because of the additional ground hitbox which can lead to delicious things such as grabs or dtilts but at any level of damage at which the key would knock someone away, nair is generally a better option, especially against an aerial opponent (again, even if they are below you). Then only disadvantage being that it can't be l-canceled :/ But the lag on nair is pretty minimal anyway.

Off topic, but your G&W is beautiful, sir.

Superspright

Smash Lord
G&W's nair I think may be one of the best anti-airs ever. What can even go through that thing? Nothing. I've been trying to use it a lot more since it's amazing. The landing lag isn't even bad as someone just stated. Even an L-canceled fair is only 3 frames faster. Nair is ridiculous.

Top Bottom