• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you forward glide toss?

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
I've been trying it, and I havent gotten it to work once, I slide a little bit but I can never get the full slide. Has this been patched out? Trying to pick up Mega Man and this is the thing I wanna learn most.

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
It should still be in, I've been able to pull it off with Link (he's the most lenient with the Glide Toss).

Megaman has a really strict timing, but it's possible. You might wanna take it to the lab, and if you're playing on 3DS try turning A+B Smash on. It helps immensely with pulling it off because it's :GCR:/:GCL: + :GCA: , slide thumb into :GCB:, then release and input a move of your choice. Would still recommend it on New 3DS as it's much smoother than using the nub.

Curisu

Smash Cadet
:GCR:>:GCA:>(while still holding :GCA:):GCB:+:GCUR:

Make sure you press B and the direction at the same time.

PseudoPac

Smash Rookie
Is there anybody that knows the exact input requirements for the forward DITCIT? I'm currently in a very slow and tedious process of finding out for myself but if there is anyone who already knows, there's not really a point in doing all of that work.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
The angle you have to move the control stick in is the highest diagonally up you can go and still perform a side special attack. It seems to be very precise. You also have something in the area of 3 frames after you toss the Metal Blade to get there with your finger on the special attack button.

Curisu

Smash Cadet
The angle you have to move the control stick in is the highest diagonally up you can go and still perform a side special attack. It seems to be very precise. You also have something in the area of 3 frames after you toss the Metal Blade to get there with your finger on the special attack button.
I've done it with minimal movement. It feels more like a timing thing than anything to get the forward toss. I still don't quite understand it. I can feel it out sometimes.

I've gotten the up toss with the analog between 2 and 3 o'clock position as well as the forward toss. I've gotten the forward toss with the analog being barely above the 3 o'clock position quite frequently.

I was thinking about taking a video of my controller while doing it so I could watch it in slow motion... I don't know how good my phone camera actually is though. If I ever do it, I will post it here.

Last edited:

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
You could continue your dash momentum, its only that the way to perform is complicated to say. A button needs to come first and then B. You need to make sure A was pressed because then within the .8th or .12th seconds apart from A, B will need to be pressed. The direction of the analog stick needs to be a cusp between up smash and forward smash. You can (probably) hold that direction to slide if you know it by heart.

I know with the directions I've been giving people have been a little different over time, its just that my way has worked for me (and at the time I presumed them.) , but I'm also finding a lot of the steps aren't required and with responses on my topic in what the community thought, they all have their own ways of doing it that just works for them. That said I think this post might help a lot of people explore the tech more. I don't use AB Smash since I use the wiimote and nunchuck, however I have experience with being capable of doing it without fail and do understand the timing/inputs required. I don't have an adaptor anymore, so I'm leaving that up to you. I'll still help as best I can.

Last edited:

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
It would be nice to see a good comprehensive video of the inputs and slowed down on a 60fps capture card.

Once I figure this Tech out 100% I will be doing the video myself but I simply don't know enough about the timing.

Keep the posts coming though everyone has brought useful information to the table regarding this tech. anything we can do to advance megas meta imo

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
Aside from the capture card being uploaded at 60 FPS, the hand gestures should be shot at 60 FPS as well as both are being shot. I think that would REALLY help more. (The quality has to be really good too of course.)

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
Aside from the capture card being uploaded at 60 FPS, the hand gestures should be shot at 60 FPS as well as both are being shot. I think that would REALLY help more. (The quality has to be really good too of course.)
agreed i'll be obtaining a nice 60fps camera very soon as well.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Does anyone know how many frames apart the inputs are supposed to be spaced apart?

I know it's not pressing all the buttons as fast as possible, but I'm unsure of how much delay is required between inputs.

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
Does anyone know how many frames apart the inputs are supposed to be spaced apart?

I know it's not pressing all the buttons as fast as possible, but I'm unsure of how much delay is required between inputs.
Yeah, you must press the attack or grab button between maybe 0.6 to 0.8 seconds apart before up and forward smash are pressed at the same time. I'm not sure how much exactly, but a perfect imagining of it is pressing it is making sure the animation of the toss is right about to get out which is probably frame 3-6... THEN somehow get the game to think you're doing forward and up smash at the same time which all lays on your behalf timing the stick with AB Smash. If you're doing this on the Wiimote and Nunchuck, this tech is a cakewalk. Maybe on New Nintendo 3DS as well its easy.

Last edited:

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Yeah, you must press the attack or grab button between maybe 0.6 to 0.8 seconds apart before up and forward smash are pressed at the same time. I'm not sure how much exactly, but a perfect imagining of it is pressing it is making sure the animation of the toss is right about to get out which is probably frame 3-6... THEN somehow get the game to think you're doing forward and up smash at the same time which all lays on your behalf timing the stick with AB Smash. If you're doing this on the Wiimote and Nunchuck, this tech is a cakewalk. Maybe on New Nintendo 3DS as well its easy.
So then input wise:

1. Forward
2. Immediately press forward and 'attack' (hold 'attack')
3. Wait half a second and press 'b' and diagonal forward

Right?

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
So then input wise:

1. Forward
2. Immediately press forward and 'attack' (hold 'attack')
3. Wait half a second and press 'b' and diagonal forward

Right?
i don't even think it's half a second

it's about 3-5 frames between pressing A and pressing B so it's probably closer to 1/10th of a second. the A and B buttons are pressed practically simultaneously.

i'm on the verge of getting this down on the GC remote. i can probably land about 6/10 tries.. i'll be making a video really soon about it.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Maybe that's what I've been doing wrong. You have to do forward and then forward and slide to diagonal?

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
i don't even think it's half a second

it's about 3-5 frames between pressing A and pressing B so it's probably closer to 1/10th of a second. the A and B buttons are pressed practically simultaneously.

i'm on the verge of getting this down on the GC remote. i can probably land about 6/10 tries.. i'll be making a video really soon about it.
I only agreed so there's no confusion. I'm sure he'll figure it out, because we do know ourselves that 30 frames is actually much longer than the average person would think. I'm willing to bet its somewhere on the 6th, 8th, or even 12th frame at the latest of the running throw animation, but I wouldn't know that well because I have no way to slow it down myself. However I do have the tech down perfectly myself, that's why I'd say its kinda useful to use the wiimote and nunchuck first to get the feel for the timing. You can hold your dash momentum on that controller as well, but AB Smash is a bit hard for some reason for me on the GC remote. I dunno why, it just is, however, I can do AB smash about 7/10 times on the Wiimote and Nunchuck at least, and as consistent on the Wii U Game Pad. I can't blame the crinkles on the GC remote because the Wiimote and Nunchuck also has crinkles.

Sometimes I wonder things, and I wonder if replacing the analog stick of a GC remote with a Nunchuck would help my case to perform the tech. I mean when I tried AB Smash on there it was like second nature. I'd like to see since I might go to Genesis, and I'm not sure whether they'd allow my control preference or not.

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
Maybe that's what I've been doing wrong. You have to do forward and then forward and slide to diagonal?
Yup, you have to be holding forward and running before you can perform it.

you don't have to reset the control stick to neutral

I only agreed so there's no confusion. I'm sure he'll figure it out, because we do know ourselves that 30 frames is actually much longer than the average person would think. I'm willing to bet its somewhere on the 6th, 8th, or even 12th frame at the latest of the running throw animation, but I wouldn't know that well because I have no way to slow it down myself. However I do have the tech down perfectly myself, that's why I'd say its kinda useful to use the wiimote and nunchuck first to get the feel for the timing. You can hold your dash momentum on that controller as well, but AB Smash is a bit hard for some reason for me on the GC remote. I dunno why, it just is, however, I can do AB smash about 7/10 times on the Wiimote and Nunchuck at least, and as consistent on the Wii U Game Pad. I can't blame the crinkles on the GC remote because the Wiimote and Nunchuck also has crinkles.

Sometimes I wonder things, and I wonder if replacing the analog stick of a GC remote with a Nunchuck would help my case to perform the tech. I mean when I tried AB Smash on there it was like second nature. I'd like to see since I might go to Genesis, and I'm not sure whether they'd allow my control preference or not.

It's really hard to tell because there's no in-depth analasys of the tech yet :/ I think alot of the difficulty of the AB smash method comes from A and B being so close to each-other. That makes it really difficult to tell what is actually going on in real time.

I figured out you can switch R button to Attack and it counts as AB smash. It seemingly makes the tech easier, but I'm used to the AB method now so it's not worth it for me to switch now. Might be worth trying considering it would be more similar to using the WiiChuck

It could indeed be the gamecube controller limiting this tech.

Last edited:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
you don't have to reset the control stick to neutral
Oh. That's what I thought I was doing wrong. I thought me not resetting was the problem. Must be something else then. Probably timing or angle.

Last edited:

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
Oh. That's what I thought I was doing wrong. I thought me not resetting was the problem. Must be something else then. Probably timing or angle.
it seems to be similar timing to the upwards glide toss, so if you can do it upwards then you have the timing right, it's just your angle.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Well I do upwards with the c-stick and a grab button, so it's completely different.

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
Well I do upwards with the c-stick and a grab button, so it's completely different.
sorry let me rephrase a bit..

what i meant was sometimes when you attempt forward ditcit with AB method you'll end up doing an upwards instead. if you can do upwards with the AB method consistently then it's not your timing, it's your angle. sorry i must have been tired when i wrote that last post

DeaDea

Smash Cadet
Just to let everyone know I've actually found I'm starting to do it when I do the following:

1. Run forward
2. While running do the following at the same time: press A+B and at the same move the analogue stick diagonal.

Uber simple inputs and I'm doing 50% of the time after like 5 minutes in the lab.

Before I was doing:
1. Run forward
2. Press A
3. Slide finger onto B while still holding A and move analogue stick diagonal.

The latter didn't really work - maybe 10% or 5% of the time, but the first one works well.

Can anyone else confirm?

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
Just to let everyone know I've actually found I'm starting to do it when I do the following:

1. Run forward
2. While running do the following at the same time: press A+B and at the same move the analogue stick diagonal.

Uber simple inputs and I'm doing 50% of the time after like 5 minutes in the lab.

Before I was doing:
1. Run forward
2. Press A

The latter didn't really work - maybe 10% or 5% of the time, but the first one works well.

Can anyone else confirm?
By all means the latter is the correct inputs to do it, but you have to input them damn near simultaneously so that's likely why your first method is working so much. If you're landing it that way keep doing it though.

Last edited:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Well going in with that mentality allowed me to do it a few times while labbing. So its a step in the right direction.

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
The thing I do request is someone with tools (I have some, but I have no access to the adapter anymore) replace the hat of the control stick from the game cube controller with one of the Nintendo Wii Nunchuck sticks. The hat is actually much taller so it might help some of you get the trick. Dunno, but its like I said I can do AB Smash on the Wiimote and nunchuck really fine, so I'm guessing if the stick was taller you could get the direction accurately. If it works for you then respond back, this is just a little experiment to see if its physically limiting. I can do it on the Pro Controllers and the Wii/Chuck fine.

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
The thing I do request is someone with tools (I have some, but I have no access to the adapter anymore) replace the hat of the control stick from the game cube controller with one of the Nintendo Wii Nunchuck sticks. The hat is actually much taller so it might help some of you get the trick. Dunno, but its like I said I can do AB Smash on the Wiimote and nunchuck really fine, so I'm guessing if the stick was taller you could get the direction accurately. If it works for you then respond back, this is just a little experiment to see if its physically limiting. I can do it on the Pro Controllers and the Wii/Chuck fine.
Ill try that on one of my controllers in the next few days and see what happens, sounds promising. Ill keep you updated

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Try and look at it this way to get the timing down.
Z = Analog + A
C-Stick = B
But then there's the matter of getting the proper angle. For the Z/Cstick method, you don't have to change angle. You press 2 buttons (3 if you count running forwards). A+B smash method requires 3 inputs (4 if you count running forwards). All which must be done in the same amount of time. While labbing the technique yesterday, I think I actually got more upwards tosses than side tosses using the A+B method.

Sorry if it seems like I'm being difficult. The two methods just seem completely different in technical execution. At this point, the grab/cstick method almost seems brain dead in its execution.

Curisu

Smash Cadet
But then there's the matter of getting the proper angle. For the Z/Cstick method, you don't have to change angle. You press 2 buttons (3 if you count running forwards). A+B smash method requires 3 inputs (4 if you count running forwards). All which must be done in the same amount of time. While labbing the technique yesterday, I think I actually got more upwards tosses than side tosses using the A+B method.

Sorry if it seems like I'm being difficult. The two methods just seem completely different in technical execution. At this point, the grab/cstick method almost seems brain dead in its execution.
You're absolutely right. Adding a 3rd input makes this a heck of a lot harder. I used to get more up tosses than side tosses, or no side tosses at all xD. Now I get more forward tosses even when I intend to do an up toss with the analog. You will get the feel for it eventually, just keep practicing.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Sorry but how do you do th AB method?
Quoting Curisu here:
:GCR:>:GCA:>(while still holding :GCA:):GCB:+:GCUR:

Make sure you press B and the direction at the same time.

Remember that for this, you need to leave "a+b = smash attacks" on when you config your controls.
For me, i press A slightly before pressing B and Upwards on the control stick, but it's all really fast, its almost at the same time( i'm not good with frames and whatever).

I can't get the forward throw consistently,but it does seem to be by flicking the control stick diagonally as everyone says.

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
Lately I just got access to a GC adapter and I'm trying real hard to do AB Smash and I just can't for some reason, yet I'm finding myself pretty capable of Forward Tossing (AB Smash method) on the New 3DS which I bought 3 days ago.

If this continues to be the case, I'm gonna have to say that all of you are best off Pro Controller since that seems easy on the controller and legal as long as the battery is removed. There's something about the GC remote that makes at least 9/10 Mega Mains say the same goddamn thing. Still, I have to try to get this if I'm thinking of going to Genesis.

AB Smash shouldn't really be that difficult, and we have it out different compared to say Pac Man or Link which those characters can either hold down the direction at the same time or near, while in our case we need the game to acknowledge we are running toss, before smashing. (or AB) That isn't very difficult when you understand the timing, while the left stick is the only challenge...

Last edited:

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
Well I just picked up a new nunchuck yesterday and I'm gonna slap the hat on my gamecube controller if I can. we'll see if that makes it feel any better.

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827

1. Run forward

Before I was doing:
1. Run forward
2. Press A

Can anyone else confirm?
Odd enough, this is how it is done on the 3ds

I made a video of it lol

Top Bottom