• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you fight Ike?

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Hello, this is a thread designed to collect up-to-date info on Match-ups for the Ike boards, which is always in desperate need of good info.

I come to you today with a simple set of questions, attempting to get the "other side" of ideas pertaining to the Matchups against Ike. Its just a few simple questions I'm hoping to get answered;

1. What is your general opinion of Ike as a character?
2. What moves do you fear from Ike?
3. Which moves do not trouble you at all?
4. Which moves/techniques do you use against Ike to gain the advantage?
5. What specific edgeguards do you employ versus Ike?

Feel free to add anything else that doesn't fit into the questions criteria. The goal is to collect information, so anything s useful.

On a side note, I may feel the need to quote this info. If you don't wished to be quoted, please tell me in your posts, and I will not quote you.

Thanks in advance. ^^

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
Sorry Trebor that no one is helping out here. I would but i am the only PT and Ike player in our group so i can't help you out here as i have never played an Ike with PT. Good luck everywhere else.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
Hello, this is a thread designed to collect up-to-date info on Match-ups for the Ike boards, which is always in desperate need of good info.

I come to you today with a simple set of questions, attempting to get the "other side" of ideas pertaining to the Matchups against Ike. Its just a few simple questions I'm hoping to get answered;

Feel free to add anything else that doesn't fit into the questions criteria. The goal is to collect information, so anything s useful.

On a side note, I may feel the need to quote this info. If you don't wished to be quoted, please tell me in your posts, and I will not quote you.

Thanks in advance. ^^
1. From my experience Ike is fairly easy to read and really suffers from a lack of projectile. If you can force him to chase after you, you will have the upper hand.

2. I'm not particularly fearful of Ike compared to some characters. Though I suppose being hit by just about anything from him is a cause for concern if you're in your 60s or higher. But none of his moves really stand out in my mind.

3. Ike's up-air and f-smash have never caused me any trouble.

4. For Ivysaur I'd say it's razor leaf and b-air I find most useful. Generally I'll harass him with these and try to get him into my bullet seed. Then I usually go for a f-smash set up.
Charizard, similar approach, but with flamethrower/f-tilt instead. Sometimes rocksmash if I think I can get away with it. I also shield grab liberally, and try to toss Ike out too far for his Aether so I can gimp him. I don't play much with Squirtle against Ike, but when I do, I try to bait whiffed hits, then get Ike off and gimp him with d-air (since it launches at a lower trajectory than his other ariels).

5. If I can get Ike out far enough so he has to side B, I will jump into it to make him waste his momentum. Or if he is just DIing back into Aether range, I will used f-air with Charizard, or d-air with Squirtle. I never edge-guard off stage with Ivysaur. If it looks like he's going to make it back with Aether, I will back up and wait for him to grab he ledge, then try to predict his ledgeroll, ledgehop, or ledgejump, and punish accordingly.

Hope that helps you somewhat.

Fearmy

Smash Ace
Just wait till he does a smash attack, they have horrible lag time.

TheLake

Smash Master
Better yet be squirtle...back throw to bair to water gun.

Water gun many lots on ike and ganons (: It'll put a smile on your face.

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
Actually, I just fought a good Ike, and here's what I got.

1. Strong, but predictable

2. The Forward Smash and Eruption

3. Aerials

Squirtle: I have faster aerials, and he has very gimpable recovery. Pretty easy to figure out.

Ivysaur: Razor LEaf spam, than Bullet Seed when he gets close, than the Up and Down Aerials (Sadly, Ivysaur's smashes are just as slow as Ike's, thus not a good option here)

Charizard: Rack up damage with Flamethrower (Which, BTW, also ruins his quickdraw) than finish him off with a smash attack or, more easily, the down aerial (meteor smash)

Squirtle: Water Gun and Wall of Pain tactics,.

Ivysaur: I honestly never got the Ike off the edge. I always with for a vertical kill.

Charizard: The Meteor Smash

AmishTechnology

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KIMPHIE
Ivysaur seems the most fun to play with against Ike. His giant frame allows for massive bullet seeds, his melee range is matched by Ivy's annoying *** B-Airs and other such attacks, and Razor Leaf is just great when Ike has no choice but to get hit, jump over, or roll over and in some way lend himself more vulnerable. Sure Ike hits hard and edge-guards well against Ivy's terrible recovery, but Squirtle would die to his giant range and power just as easily.

With Charizard, it felt a bit unfair to the lizard's favor. He has similar range, faster approaches, and deals almost as much damage, all this but only faster. I was also able to score incredible damages with flamethrowing (imagine around the 30+%s) anytime Ike was approaching with a slow aerial around the edge or if he whiffed/did some other terrible approach. Rock smash is also nice too for punishments and approaches, seeing as how those rocks crumble around and tend to hit him.

I probably had most trouble with Squirtle, surprisingly. As annoying as he may be, Squirtle just seemed too light and short-ranged to be able to deal with Ike as well as Ivysaur and Charizard can. I presume his water-gun would be great against Ike's super vertical recovery. Still, I could probably use more work on my Squirtle itself. Ike is slow, and that's the biggest thing Squirtle's got against him.

Ike's B-Air is fast and probably his equivalent to Ivy's B-Air, only stronger and lag-heavier. I fear that. Ike's AAA combo is somewhat fast and still hurts. I don't like that. Ike's other moves are strong and great punishments to when I whiff, make a predictable move like rolling right into him, or am making a recovery. I fear that.

ssbmaster2007

Smash Journeyman

Thanks in advance. ^^
1: I think Ike is one of the best character's but Charizard is better, for what reason I will make more clear later in this post.

2: Up Smash, it covers the area all around him and is very powerful, as is his Side Smash, which can hits foes right behind him too.

3: Down Smash, Eruption, Counter, and his Side Special Move (forgot what the name of it is).

4: This:

5: Charizard's Flamethrower, plain and simple.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking

1. Extremely predictable
2. Eruption, Jabs
3. Anything with substantial lag (Everything else minus Bair, Quick Draw, Jabs)
4. Squirtle- Bait attacks, counter-attack.
Ivysaur- Bair, Razor Leaf, Bullet Seed, Ftilt
Charizard- Flamethrower, Rock Smash
5. Squirtle- Water Gun if its Quick Draw. Just re-grab if he's going to try to Aether.
Ivysaur- Bair
Charizard- Flamethrower if he's not at a killable percent, otherwise, Fair, Dair

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman
Ikes jab catches me ALOT. Other than that I don't have a lot of problems with Ike. He seems to have a lot of trouble hitting squirtle with anything.

SrL04

Smash Apprentice

Has a lot of potential
Jabs
D-tilt
Charizard - Lots of jabs
Squirtle - Spam aerials but switch for the kill, or if you give him enough dmg, use D throw
Ivysaur - SH FF B air to F tilt, some D tilts, and using bullet seed can get you 30 dmg

Squirtle water gun (situational)
When he's coming back with his side B, airdodge with correct timing so that he strikes in the air but doesn't hit you

Thanks in advance. ^^
I still have trouble with Ike too...

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
In general, Ike is so slow that he can throw my dodge-roll timing off. Charzard is by far the best, but other characters will work too. The most important thing to do is try to gat out of Ike's AAA combo before he lands the third blow, and not accidentally dodge into a basic AAA combo or much worse, absent-mindedly get caught in a f-smash.

TheFast

Smash Lord
when fighting ike remember one thing .......Dont Get Hit
all of his move are easily predicted just go into training mode and learn all of his moves so you can better predict them because of no ability to combo (besides his three hit combo jab lol) if u just play defensively you should win because if u play defensively that negates counter's powers that being his one unpredictable attack and you win 8D

Use ivysaur and use fB and backair keep your distance catch in a nB if u have the chance and a quick tether grab (just dont miss) best used when punishing on of his slow moves but overall spam fB and keep them on their toes use it more for mind games and keeping ike at bay more then for damage just keep it coming and when he trys to jump of them rawr (sorry if i got the letters wrong) him use your range to counter his range and use quick attack with little damage by the time ivysaur is tired ike should be in killing range for charizard

SrL04

Smash Apprentice
If you guys think Ike is predictable, then the other player isn't doing a good job of mixing it up.

TheFast

Smash Lord
If you guys think Ike is predictable, then the other player isn't doing a good job of mixing it up.
omost all of his attacks have a start up "tell" the only thing that doesnt is his nuetral combo but it has less range so i u space correctly and look for the tells you should do fine.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
1: just keep hitting the guy, always works with me on the lvl 3 cpus.

2: anything that will hurt badly, especially aether which has super armor.

3: face it, Ike is real slow on his moves, if he doesn't fire a smash attack when you're least expecting it, you'll be fine

4:

Squirtle: Welcome to Squirtle's version of the living nighmare. Ike has alot of things that Squirtle fears, disjointed hit boxes, strong, hard to knock off the stage, somewhat small gimping area. With Squirtle, if there is any time where playing hard to hit will help, NOW WILL BE THE TIME. If Squirtle had a meteor smash, this would be easier.

Ivysaur: to be fair, eating pie is harder for Ivysaur than Ike. Without projectiles, Ike always has to be close, which, while good with facing Squirtle, is the WORST THING YOU CAN POSSIBLY DO AGAINST IVYSAUR. Ivysaur loves it when opponents close in, then comes the slaughter. Ike has one good thing going for him, Ivysaur hates to gimp.

Charizard: Ike is a tank, which, as a group, causes very few worries for Charizard, and Ike is in the majority (only Dedede and fellow Charizard aren't). Translation, Ike+Charizard=burnt Ike and Charizard. Keep wailing on him and it is really easy to knock him out of his recovery range.

5:

Remember, Ike can only survive recovery if he can grab the edge. Any area below and in front (along with behind) is certain death. Keep him below and in front of the edge is the only way Squirtle doesn't sweat bullets. Squirtle can only gimp Ike from getting back onto the stage, mainly by his nair and fair. Ivysaur can't help you here, but Charizard can. Just remember, you have to spike/hit Ike when he is not using the aether, because of supper armor.

TheFast

Smash Lord
1: just keep hitting the guy, always works with me on the lvl 3 cpus.

2: anything that will hurt badly, especially aether which has super armor.

3: face it, Ike is real slow on his moves, if he doesn't fire a smash attack when you're least expecting it, you'll be fine

4:

Squirtle: Welcome to Squirtle's version of the living nighmare. Ike has alot of things that Squirtle fears, disjointed hit boxes, strong, hard to knock off the stage, somewhat small gimping area. With Squirtle, if there is any time where playing hard to hit will help, NOW WILL BE THE TIME. If Squirtle had a meteor smash, this would be easier.

Ivysaur: to be fair, eating pie is harder for Ivysaur than Ike. Without projectiles, Ike always has to be close, which, while good with facing Squirtle, is the WORST THING YOU CAN POSSIBLY DO AGAINST IVYSAUR. Ivysaur loves it when opponents close in, then comes the slaughter. Ike has one good thing going for him, Ivysaur hates to gimp.

Charizard: Ike is a tank, which, as a group, causes very few worries for Charizard, and Ike is in the majority (only Dedede and fellow Charizard aren't). Translation, Ike+Charizard=burnt Ike and Charizard. Keep wailing on him and it is really easy to knock him out of his recovery range.

5:

Remember, Ike can only survive recovery if he can grab the edge. Any area below and in front (along with behind) is certain death. Keep him below and in front of the edge is the only way Squirtle doesn't sweat bullets. Squirtle can only gimp Ike from getting back onto the stage, mainly by his nair and fair. Ivysaur can't help you here, but Charizard can. Just remember, you have to spike/hit Ike when he is not using the aether, because of supper armor.
1)people arnt lvl 3 cpus
2) squirtle is not a good match up because it requires you to get close to ike because squirtle has horible range ud be better off with charizard or ivysaur

Mentok the Mind Taker

Smash Cadet
good for ffa and teams, but bad for singles. he is what Ganondorf would be like if he could use the sword.
jab combo, bair, down tilt, utilt, nair
usmash, fsmash, >b, neutralb, fair, ftilt, aether
shieldgrabbing any ground move, rolling behind the jab combo, projectiles, edgeguarding
Ivy: razor leaf spam to decharge side b recovery
Char: flamethrower, when they aether to get out shieldgrab dthrow
squirtle: fair gimping

Top Bottom