• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you fight G&W

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
It's not in the matchup thread, and I like these individual threads for characters better, anyway.

So, I played Hylian the other day only to realize that I know nothing about how to fight a good G&W (I counterpicked norfair--bad idea X_x). I know that uair cancels key and that he's really light, but that's about it. Does Oli have any good counterpick stages for G&W?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Okay I main G&W and I've played Olimar quite a bit.

Pick FD. Olimar hates platforms from what I've seen while G&W LOVES them.

Know how to tech the D-throw or die, and basically keep your spacing with grabs top notch. That's really all you can do. If you whiff a grab or fail to anticipate it, you will be B-aired, and that will get you in the air, which will allow G&W to look for more combos he can perform. He's probably the most ridiculous character in the game at punishing things above him. Once you're off the stage, you're pretty much screwed. All you can do is air dodge and hope for the best.

Stiltzskin

Smash Apprentice
FD and BF are both great picks. FD allows you to spam side b and get plenty of space to avoid his aerials and counter with a pivot grab.

BF is awesome cuz he can't approach with dair as much and since he'll most likely land on a platform you can go crazy with the usmashes and uairs.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
1. Take Snake, MK or Marth
2. Learn to use one of them
3. ???
4. Profit

Excellence

Smash Champion
1. Take Snake, MK or Marth
2. Learn to use one of them
3. ???
4. Profit
You couldn't sound any stupider.

Anyway, I'd advise you to pick Final Destination with the goal to stay as far away from Mr. Game & Watch as possible. You're going to want to hurl Pikmin from a distance, grabbing G&W once he touches the ground with Bair. The space provided by Final Destination should allow you to keep away, but if need be go ahead and shield it. Do not just sit and let that Key fall on top of you, don't block it. Learn to punish it with Up Air becomes it chews through the Key's priority.

Neb

Smash Lord
Er. Pikmin Toss is pretty much useless in this match-up. All of G&W's attacks are for the most part, weapon-based, and will hurl pikmin all sorts of directions. Game & Watch has the luxury of ignoring Pikmin Latch completely.

Trozz

Smash Ace
Don't let u-smash go stale. You really need it at full power for the early kill. I'd use a stupid amount of throws in this matchup. Teching G&W's d-throw is something I can't seem to do too well with Oli. Others having more luck?

IcyLight

Smash Lord

Know how to tech the D-throw or die, and basically keep your spacing with grabs top notch. That's really all you can do. If you whiff a grab or fail to anticipate it, you will be B-aired, and that will get you in the air, which will allow G&W to look for more combos he can perform. He's probably the most ridiculous character in the game at punishing things above him. Once you're off the stage, you're pretty much screwed. All you can do is air dodge and hope for the best.
I agree with this but yes, learn how to tech d-throw consistently...BUT DO NOT do it every time. He will understand you will tech it and then try to tech chase. Try not teching it and di'ing to one side, then roll to the opposite side you di. Therefore you go to the left of his char as he drops you, but roll right. it's mind games :D

as far as recovery...good luck. only thing i can say is watch for his up-b and whistle/air dodge. air dodge can be predictable but whistle not so much so mix it up.

Pivot grab: a lot. a lot of g&w like to spam bair and fair but if you pivot backwards and reverse grab you can get out of range of his aerials and grab him as he hits the ground. Watch out for his neutral air though, it cancels itself and can't grab so easily so if he spams nair when you are grounded pivot backwards and f-smash him.

this is more frustrating of a matchup for me than MK and Snake combined. So i will read this forum for help as well.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
Er. Pikmin Toss is pretty much useless in this match-up. All of G&W's attacks are for the most part, weapon-based, and will hurl pikmin all sorts of directions. Game & Watch has the luxury of ignoring Pikmin Latch completely.
sorry for double post couldn't figure out how to edit with a quote o.O
this is very true. don't spam pikmin at him it will put you in a bad situation you will need most of your pikmin for recovery. It's good to throw pikmin though, so watch for your white ones and try to get that extra 6% + before he knocks it off. He won't expect a single pikmin sniped at him only once in a while :)

Neb

Smash Lord
sorry for double post couldn't figure out how to edit with a quote o.O
this is very true. don't spam pikmin at him it will put you in a bad situation you will need most of your pikmin for recovery. It's good to throw pikmin though, so watch for your white ones and try to get that extra 6% + before he knocks it off. He won't expect a single pikmin sniped at him only once in a while :)
There should be a button next to quote that says "Multiquote", click the quotes you want, then scroll down and click post.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
I really hate G&W's turtle ]: and fish bowl, dam those seacreatures

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
stay above him in air, stay next to him on ground but out of dair or forward smash range in ground and just grab him constantly and RUN AWAY FROM HIM IF HE STARTS SHORTHOPPING

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
I really hate G&W's turtle ]: and fish bowl, dam those seacreatures
Hmm... I know that Oli can whistle through multi-hit attacks (MK's f air and b air, for instance). I heard he could whistle through G&W's b air and maybe he can even handle n air. I dunno, though... whistling is like cocaine: it's easy to use and feels awesome, but too much of it will get you killed : P

Neb

Smash Lord
stay above him in air, stay next to him on ground but out of dair or forward smash range in ground and just grab him constantly and RUN AWAY FROM HIM IF HE STARTS SHORTHOPPING
Don't do this unless you wanna get killed.

Neb

Smash Lord
You probably weren't fighting a good player. The last place Olimar would like to be is above G&W, or close to him. The spacing should be at grab-range, not smash-range.

RichBrown

Smash Master
I played leepuff's G&W about a month ago. I can't remember too much about the match (he beat me up pretty quickly, although in the first match I managed to take the first stock from him haha) but what I do remember is that he frustrated the heck outta me by juggling me with Uair, I didn't know how to manage the physics. So I'd actually have to say that being above G&W is a bad idea. Other than that I have absolutely no experience against G&W, save for 2 or 3 matches I played against my friend who was just learning G&W at the time.

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
I played leepuff's G&W about a month ago. I can't remember too much about the match (he beat me up pretty quickly, although in the first match I managed to take the first stock from him haha) but what I do remember is that he frustrated the heck outta me by juggling me with Uair, I didn't know how to manage the physics. So I'd actually have to say that being above G&W is a bad idea. Other than that I have absolutely no experience against G&W, save for 2 or 3 matches I played against my friend who was just learning G&W at the time.
Yeah, Hylian does that, too. If I got above him, he just juggled me with that **** horn.

Olimarman

Smash Ace
Above G&W = BAD. It leaves you wide open for him to uair refresh his moves, he can nair you, and you can set yourself up for one of his smash attacks. Your safest position if your both in the air is probably under him. Your uair>his dair. I'd avoid aerial play with G&W as much as you can. Time your shieldgrabs from his bair, and avoid getting grabbed when you reach around 80%+. His dthrow to dsmash hurts. Try and keep atleast 1 or 2 purples with you since you can kill him at around 60-65% with a purple usmash. Abuse your grabs and find openings to latch whites. They may not stay latched long, but the damage eats at GnW. Look for early kills, you should almost never have a GnW above 110%, and even thats high for a G&W.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
wow purp usmash kills at 60-65%? o.O i think this may put me at an advantage against OBM :D

OlimarFan

Smash Ace

*off topic*

I think I've watched a video of you playing Ganondorf...

I never play Olimar against Game and Watch. He, along with Meta Knight, are two characters I cannot defeat as Olimar. I play Snake instead :chuckle:

RichBrown

Smash Master
I played my friend's G&W yesterday, he had only recently picked him up but he was still decent. I found that all my success came by staying on the ground as much as possible, occasionally approaching with a SH Fair. Staying next to him and using Ftilt/Fsmash is the way to go. You pretty much don't want him inside your grab range. Someone else said shielding the Bair and Fair into a grab is useful, and I would have to concur. but the LAST place you wanna be is above G&W. and, of course, grab combos.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Just some rambling:
Believe it or not, this matchup is very similar to Olimar v Rob, except GaW can approach more easily. You can't spam your grab b/c GaW has too many quicker options than the grab. You can shieldgrab the turtle, but try to throw him as far as you can away from you. (meaning don't dthrow combo) It doesn't work. GaW is too light for the throw combos to work, and you NEED your shield to recharge. After one turtle, your shield is low enough for the next to eat through it.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
its a fairly easy matchup for olimar imo.
just keep your distance in general but then take them off guard with lots of throws and smashes

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Spam pivot grabs.

Seriously, it's REALLY ****ing hard to get around with G&W.

Top Bottom