• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you feel about lvl 9 CPUs in Ultimate

malicecrossrevolver

Smash Apprentice
I like playing them from time to time, even if they are hard. They feel easier after I play online for a while. I made some content based on how I feel about them

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
They better than the CPUs in previous games, but I feel they’re easier. At most they can take one of my stocks, but they don’t really present anything too hard compared to other games.

Aemuli

Smash Cadet
I personally think they are better than most of the people online in my opinion. Also it's offline so there's no lag or input delay, and they can do some ridiculous parries. They also go off stage a lot and attempt to edgeguard you by meteor smashing or stage spiking you so it's good practice if you want to get better at teching.

Syntherios

#MasterChief4DLC
NNID
Syntherios
Switch FC
SW-0693-8607-4207
I'm not a fan. The one thing I've always hated about the AI in Smash is their ability to read button inputs and shield/dodge/parry everything on reaction. It's especially frustrating when you main a slow character that can't throw out moves constantly, so apart from counterattacking after a whiff or forcing them into a frame trap, they're way too difficult to hit. You can't rely on reads hardly at all because they rarely do any defensive move preemptively (like teching/tech rolling/shielding/rolling/spot dodging/air dodging) and much more often do them on pure reaction. Their timing is essentially frame-perfect, which means trying to land with an attack that launches you downward and has an active hitbox the whole way down (Ganon/Falcon's down-B, ZSS/Sonic's d-air, etc.) will always end with you being juggled repeatedly; far too frequently compared to good human players.

It's not that they're hard or anything (I can 3-stock them fairly consistently), they're just unfair. Like most fighting game AI, anyway.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Personally I'm a pretty heavy fan of the AI in Smash Ultimate, they don't parry or shield everything like in Smash 4 or just spam the same moves over and over again, and they actually play quite human like. The battles are also quite tough, so I find them quite fun to fight against.

Christian_CAO

Smash Apprentice
watched my friend get combo'd into the blast zone by wolf (it finished with his side special, so it was awesome) when he came up to be unlocked. That was cool. I like the AI

Augi

Smash Cadet
I'm not a fan. The one thing I've always hated about the AI in Smash is their ability to read button inputs and shield/dodge/parry everything on reaction. It's especially frustrating when you main a slow character that can't throw out moves constantly, so apart from counterattacking after a whiff or forcing them into a frame trap, they're way too difficult to hit. You can't rely on reads hardly at all because they rarely do any defensive move preemptively (like teching/tech rolling/shielding/rolling/spot dodging/air dodging) and much more often do them on pure reaction. Their timing is essentially frame-perfect, which means trying to land with an attack that launches you downward and has an active hitbox the whole way down (Ganon/Falcon's down-B, ZSS/Sonic's d-air, etc.) will always end with you being juggled repeatedly; far too frequently compared to good human players.

It's not that they're hard or anything (I can 3-stock them fairly consistently), they're just unfair. Like most fighting game AI, anyway.

This. I couldn't have put it better. While not too difficult to beat, they're consistently extremely difficult to hit in a way that's unfair and not at all how a human would play. The input reading is just dumb. I've seen em spot dodge, then short-hop in place (to dodge) then air dodge towards the ground then perfect shield both hits of a two hit attack, all in quick non-stop succession for every attack I threw out and THEN punish me.

They also can act like overly cautious idiots or fight in ways that are extremely annoying and un-fun to fight against. Fight a lvl 9 Jigglypuff and watch them endlessly float back and forth in and out of your range above your head like a laser pointer in front of a cat for the entire match, not fun or hard, just annoying.

I believe lvl 7 is the highest level they go before they start reading your inputs. I may start doing 1v2 or 1v3 lvl7 Team Battles for offline practice instead. Prolly get more meaningful practice out of it than fighting a lvl 9.

Atomic Greninja

Smash Rookie
Personally I'm a pretty heavy fan of the AI in Smash Ultimate, they don't parry or shield everything like in Smash 4 or just spam the same moves over and over again, and they actually play quite human like. The battles are also quite tough, so I find them quite fun to fight against.
That is SUCH a lie.

Pink Yoshi

Smash Lord
Does anyone feel like some characters' level 9s are better than others?

Bowser, for instance, plays amazingly
Meanwhile Corrin plays like he has a hangover

This is from my experience labbing all-CPU lv 9 fights, for the record

Top Bottom