• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you feel about edge guarding?

T-Nice

Smash Cadet
I have a friend here being a cry baby about it... listen to this:

We're chatting on MSN, and he crys about why Wavedashing is so gay, blah blah blah.... then I go "your boring" then he goes "just like I won't edge guard, I think it's gay" So I go "Why the hell would you play a game based off the point of knocking them off and not letting them back on?" he goes "Because I like to fight, I think if he fought so hard to stay on, and he gets knocked off... I think he deserves to get back on...' (what a *** right?" So I go "Ok, let me get this straight... your telling me your don't like to edge gaurd but you can spend all that time trying to knock him off whichs contridicts the whole game basically and yourself... why even knock him off in the first place!? You think your going get a "thank you kind sir for letting me back on the stage" NO! I would be like "YOUR F*cking suck, put the sticks down... I can't believe you let me back on, what a noob!"

Then he goes quite...

SO tell me folks, do you think edge guarding is gay, because I sure want to hear your reason why...:)

Booshnig

Smash Cadet
I think it'd be kind of dickish to wavedash against someone who doesn't even know what wavedashing is (or can't do it themselves.)

Unless you like showing off and pissing off your friends.

shadowed_phoenix

Smash Apprentice
Edge guarding

It's one of the basic fundamentals of smash bros.

if he doesn't like edge guarding, then the only level he'll be playing in brawl is shadow moses island.

MAST3R

Smash Apprentice
Well i never did much edge guarding in melee, but I will definatly do it a lot in brawl.

:034:

Smash Hero
Edge guarding is good, I see nothing against it. My friends and I pretty much agree that Edge hogging isn't. I'm the only one allowed to do it because I play as Ganon and my friend plays as Sheik (and any Ganon main knows that's no good).

Lone Spectator

Smash Apprentice
Edge Guarding is, like someone already mentioned, a Smash Bros. Basic. Now, I'm not really fond of Edge hogging and hopping.

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
I remember seeing edge-guarding in the "How to Play" video for SSBM. It said to "Intercept" as Mario attacked Bowser with a crushing spike.

Corax The Cold

Smash Journeyman
edge guarding is pro, it looks awesome when you do it, you feel like u got pwned when som1 does it to you, nuff said

Cranberry Rogue

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, well, your friend is ridiculous. If you want to be good at Smash Bros, you have to learn how to edgeguard properly. Appropritely so, it's also important to learn how to bypass and edgeguarder, and get back onto the stage using your quick thinking. Your bud just needs to learn that just because someone is edgeguarding him doesn't make it impossible for him to get back onto the stage.

I might understand if he felt edgehogging was cheap, but edgeguarding? Come on, dude...

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
Yeah, I bet he gets über-pissed when you edgehog him too, if he's that worked up over edgeguarding...

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
any form of edge-guarding is completely fine. edgehogging, intercepting, spiking, etc. they should all be accepted.

I don't mind people preferring not to edge-hog due to ethical issues but if somebody says it can't be used because it's cheating, they need to stop whining.

JayceMJ

Smash Apprentice
Get used to hearing complaints about Edge Hogging/Guarding and any advanced techniques you find. If my experience with past Online Fighters is anything to go by you'll hear it a lot. Hell, JUS a game modeled faintly after SSB had a lot of people complaining about edge guarding. If you went for ring outs in that game EVERYONE was on your *** about it.

Darkfroggy

Smash Rookie
Uuhm isnt it just a part of the game -.-? pff i bet he sucks ( not attacking or something ) but realy everyone knows that edge guarding is one of the basics.. btw learn him how to wave dash;) it will let him know how it feels to be little tricky .

LotusMyuushin

Smash Apprentice
If he dislikes edgeguarding that much, he should become better and never get knocked off them.

sultanofsurreal

Smash Cadet
Your friend is ********.

No, seriously. Your friend is a giant ****ing ******. Keeping people from returning to the stage is the entire point of the game. He might as well think that you're being "cheap" if you hit him.

BlueYoshiPinkShoes

Smash Apprentice
Wow, it seems like these forums are getting a lot more vulgar lately...

But anyway, Wavedashing, in my opionion, is cheap.
It is a way for players to take advantage of the games flaws, and it's become tournament standard, which isn't fair for players who don't dash dance/wavedash.

Edgehogging is acceptable, though I don't do it.

Edgeguarding is the point of the game.

Your friend=Epic Phail.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
It is a way for players to take advantage of the games flaws
not the definition of cheap.

and it's become tournament standard, which isn't fair for players who don't dash dance/wavedash.
then they should either learn it or get around it; because it's fair if the other person can learn it.

not to mention that it's not exactly a decisive move..

krynny

Smash Cadet
back when there was only smash 64, my friend and I refused to edge guard doing duels because we felt there was less skill involved and we wanted to truly see who was better. it was kind of like smash bros etiquette. then melee came out and there were so many more ways to maneuver in mid air that we kind of agreed right off the bat that edge guarding was allowed in our duels.

Edgeguarding doesnt mean you automatically get the kill.

SinHarvester

Smash Rookie
Edge guarding is good, I see nothing against it. My friends and I pretty much agree that Edge hogging isn't. I'm the only one allowed to do it because I play as Ganon and my friend plays as Sheik (and any Ganon main knows that's no good).

Because Ganondorf doesn't have enough of an advantage vs Sheik right?

/end sarcasm

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
I used to not edgeguard for a while (I also did not shield grab back then). It felt dirty. But then I started shield grabbing and edge guarding and my game went up quite a bit.

The only thing that really annoys me is when a Marth player edgehogs and refuses to come up and waits for you to come to him. I seem to play a lot of those too.

VandalD

Smash Cadet
I tend not to edgeguard because I don't have to. Not to say that I'm just that good, it's just that the few people I've played against were that bad and way too easy to read. I'll edgeguard if I feel I'm getting an even fight on the stage itself, or if I'm up against Sheik. I'm fine with it though. It's part of the game. There's just no need to do it in circumstances that happen to be common for me and probably far less common with competitive players.

Kruton

Smash Ace
Fighting over the edge adds momentum to the game, make it more exciting, and keeps fighters on their toes. By just waiting for an opponent to come back, it may result in a consequence of 'pwnage', and it just isn't as fun.

I'm teaching my one friend the fundamentals of the game and he always gets me off the edge, and just stands in the center. I always say, "Why are you not fighting me?" and he goes, "I like to show mercy..."

"...**** MERCY!"

Top Bottom