• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WoL How do you defeat Galeem and Dharkon on Hard Mode (solo versions)?

Rew

Smash Journeyman
I'm at both battles where you get the bad endings. And it is just... impossible. They have so many attacks that can hit all over the screen. They can take you from 0% to 100% in seconds and then juggle and KO you. I get to the second phase of each (where they go into rage mode), and I never last much longer afterward. And their attacks are so damned hard to dodge, no matter how much I study them. Nearly impossible really.

I'm using my strongest possible team--Ganondorf with a Legendary 3-slot primary with Celebi for 5% healing. It doesn't do crap. I can't even get close.

Does anyone have any strategies for cheesing these battles? Am I not using the optimal setup? I just want hard mode to be over!

Rew

Smash Journeyman
OK, I legitimately don't understand.

I've faced some serious challenges on Hard Mode in WoL, make no mistake. But all of those at least seemed surmountable, or I could figure out what I was doing wrong and adjust my setup or strategy. But these two battles are a difficulty spike unlike anything I've ever seen in a video game in my life. I just can't do it. I'm taking my VERY best teams into this--I've used Bowser, Ganondorf, Donkey Kong. I've equipped them with level 99 primary spirits of the same franchise (for the extra bonus) plus the Celebi support spirit or auto-healing. And I just... can't even get close. I'm showing no improvement even though I've been throwing myself at these two boss battles for hours now.

Like, I have to be missing something super obvious, right? How have you all beaten these two? It seems literally impossible.

Rew

Smash Journeyman
Well, it's cheering to know that the actual final battle (with both Galeem & Dharkon at the same time) is equally bull****.

Seriously, this is actually impossible. Has anyone ever beaten any of these three battles on hard mode before?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I did all three on Hard, two times using only one character during the final battle (Joker and Daisy).

First some Spirit tips:

You're good equipping Celebi as that's probably one of the better spirits for the battle.

I'm going to give each battle two things to note but first some general tips:
Reflector/Counter characters help tremendously when they use their shooting attacks.
Before attacking, watch for some tell tale signs on what attack they are going to use. For instance, if Galeem teleports to the center and the music suddenly stops (assuming you have music on), get to the edge and grab it. Galeem will use the wave attack.
For the final battle, cloned characters can harm one another and prioritize each other so stand back and let the CPU battle while you heal.

For Galeem:

The hardest attack is when the waves come in. Try grabbing the ledge and timing a roll just as the beam passes your character. Might dodge two at once if lucky.
Another tricky attack is the lasers. On screen visual cues will appear on where they appear so dodging is key.

Dharkon:

Hardest attack for me is actually the bombs as they're diagonal and not straight up and horizontal. Remember you can damage the bombs.
The attack where Dharkon creates a slowing field is dodgable, but stay out of the red!

Both:
One trick is that the two damage one another so try and dodge attacks while near the other.
If you knock one down, the other may do a high damaging attack unless doing another. Dodge it.

Really, the best advice for the final battle is dodging and learning the patterns that the bosses make.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
All I have to say is to just learn their attacks and figure out how to avoid them. Easier said than done, sure, but that's really the key for most bosses even outside of smash. Just evade whatever they throw at you and then go in for the attack. Be patient and pay attention to the startups so that you can prepare yourself to dodge the next attack. Maybe also focus on using characters with more mobility to help you avoid attacks easier (don't need anything crazy fast but those heavy characters are not so nimble).

Rew

Smash Journeyman
This is so weird. I've beaten Boss Battles on Intense in Brawl (multiple times), and it was nothing like this.

The sad thing is, I've played these battles so many times tonight that I do know each boss's attack and the telltale signs. I just... have no way of dodging. You have to be so perfect so many times. You need to be able to do like six air dodges in a row or have frame perfect reflexes with spot dodges, etc. Nothing else in the entire game (including all of WoL on hard mode leading up to this) asks anywhere near this level of precision and expertise to clear it. I genuinely feel like I'm equipping 1- and 2-star spirits for these boss fights even though I swear I'm using my most powerful legendaries. I'm surprised I don't see anyone else talking about what a monumental difficulty spike this is--I've never seen anything like it in my 30-odd years of playing video games. But then again, maybe I'm one of the very few fool enough to insist on beating Adventure Mode 100% on hard.

Another thing I've noticed is that no matter who I use (even Ganondorf and Donkey Kong), I do so LITTLE damage to Galeem and Dharkon. It allows the battle to just drag on foreeeeeever, and thus gives them more times to use uber powerful attacks that take me from 10%-100% and eventually KO me. I've never gotten either boss down to less than a quarter of health before. Even in the final battle, I can defeat one, but the other one is just so hard. I can't get it past the point where it only has one-fourth HP left. And that's with THREE friggin' stocks!

I think I have to stop now. I have reached the limit of where my skill can take me in this game. I was hoping that I could beat this one 100%, but I can't. I give up.

Last edited:

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I don't know if they ever did anything to olimar in recent patches, but I know that he is/was insanely broken in WoL especially for bosses. Wouldn't hurt to try him out and find a primary spirit that gives bonus damage (like fire or maybe electric).

Rew

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if they ever did anything to olimar in recent patches, but I know that he is/was insanely broken in WoL especially for bosses. Wouldn't hurt to try him out and find a primary spirit that gives bonus damage (like fire or maybe electric).
Nope, that was definitely patched in version 2.0.0.

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
Well, it's cheering to know that the actual final battle (with both Galeem & Dharkon at the same time) is equally bull****.

Seriously, this is actually impossible. Has anyone ever beaten any of these three battles on hard mode before?
Me. Do you have a Came Cruz spirit ? Use a regen spirit and a spirit that increase the defense. Take a fighter that deals a massive amount of damage and done. It's hard, I know,I tried several times before I could do it, but I did it eventually. And I'm not the greatest player around. Also, don't use your main right away. Place your secondary first, and when they die, you'll just to beat the bosses with your main. Also, try to knock out one of the two bosses so these one can hit it while it's on in harmless form. It can deal a great amount of damage (only when you fight the two).

Last edited:

RubenInAustin

Smash Rookie
This is so weird. I've beaten Boss Battles on Intense in Brawl (multiple times), and it was nothing like this.

The sad thing is, I've played these battles so many times tonight that I do know each boss's attack and the telltale signs. I just... have no way of dodging. You have to be so perfect so many times. You need to be able to do like six air dodges in a row or have frame perfect reflexes with spot dodges, etc. Nothing else in the entire game (including all of WoL on hard mode leading up to this) asks anywhere near this level of precision and expertise to clear it. I genuinely feel like I'm equipping 1- and 2-star spirits for these boss fights even though I swear I'm using my most powerful legendaries. I'm surprised I don't see anyone else talking about what a monumental difficulty spike this is--I've never seen anything like it in my 30-odd years of playing video games. But then again, maybe I'm one of the very few fool enough to insist on beating Adventure Mode 100% on hard.

Another thing I've noticed is that no matter who I use (even Ganondorf and Donkey Kong), I do so LITTLE damage to Galeem and Dharkon. It allows the battle to just drag on foreeeeeever, and thus gives them more times to use uber powerful attacks that take me from 10%-100% and eventually KO me. I've never gotten either boss down to less than a quarter of health before. Even in the final battle, I can defeat one, but the other one is just so hard. I can't get it past the point where it only has one-fourth HP left. And that's with THREE friggin' stocks!

I think I have to stop now. I have reached the limit of where my skill can take me in this game. I was hoping that I could beat this one 100%, but I can't. I give up.
Did you ever complete it? I'm going through the same thing now. Ness and Lucas Down-B helped me out a lot when going up against both. I haven't tried galeem solo yet, I'm stuck at dharkon and you can't absorb anything he throws out.

I've tried shield recovery spirits, health Regen, max attack spirits, max defense, boost air attacks, nothing is helping me survive the same part you're stuck at.

RubenInAustin

Smash Rookie

Ok so I finally beat him. I switched from using the Switch to actually plugging it into my tv and using the GameCube controller.
I used the Evil Ryu spirit with the Demon Style
and I used Donkey Kong.
I did make an effort to charge up my smash attacks at least a little bit if not all the way, and I noticed that I completely skipped over the part where Dharkon sends out the other fighters.
Let me know how it goes!

RubenInAustin

Smash Rookie

FINALLY! I finally beat Galeem!
Ok so I used Ness.
Soma Cruz (no style applied).
Peach (Wedding)
Fox Luigi.

Battle Notes-
ABSORB- Ness can absorb the fireballs, and the attack will damage Galeem a little bit if he touches you too.
•Get Galeems health to just before he sends the yellow energy waves, and get him to give you one last fireball attack so you can absorb it and be at 0% for the next part of the fight.
•Oh I also tried to get Galeem to send out a couple more attacks before I sent him into the rage mode in hopes that there was a specific order that he does the attacks and he would use the fireball attack right when I need to heal the most!

ANTICIPATE- I made an effort to charge up my side-smash attack BEFORE Galeem goes limp in the middle of the stage. I was able to get 3 fully charged hits on him.
(If you have the smash attacks heal skill, that little bit will help too. I would charge up-smash/ or side-smash if I was facing away from Galeem when he was down. The yo-yo doesn't do to much damage and healing but every little bit helps when you are healing!)

HOMING SPIRIT BOMB THING- I would try to devert it away from the stage and up. If I happened to get hit with by it, I would dodge out of it while the explosion is happening, instead of just taking the whole attack.

EYEBALLS- (This had me wanting to give up too man) I told myself not to panic when this attack happens, focus on the order that they appear and be ready to roll.
•So when I beat him I happened to be near the middle of the stage and not on a platform. I feel like that helped me roll into the wave and let it pass me.
•I would usually get hit and sent flying then just try to stay away while the other waves lose power and don't hurt at the very end of the attack. So I guess that can be Plan-B.

It still took me a few tries and I even got Galeem's health down to passed his name before I fell because I thought I could use B-up twice since I was getting damaged by the yellow waves. Don't give up, and let me know how it goes.

OH and I do have the additional mid-air jump skill applied!

Top Bottom