• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you deal with luigi?

silver0p

Smash Journeyman
Ok well for me i only have trubble with luigis... (and well meta knight and marth)

Is it just me or does luigies moves out prioritize alot of sheiks moves. Because every time i try to attack him he always seems to have a move that stops me in mid attack and then before i can recover hes thre doing his dumb UP B or Fair karate chop. and they always come at me so i never have time to charge needles...

Any advice please! I always get creamed when playing against him.

Flamingo

Smash Lord
Man.. so many "help me with this character threads" haha. But no problem.. One of my friends mains is luigi. We have basically concluded that Luigi has the upper hand in this matchup. He Nairs out of the Ftilt, he has so much priority, it's leaking out of that sexy moustache of his... fireballs are gay. Maybe I should use more needles and make him approach. But when I approach, like when ever I hit his sheild, he slides out of the way with those ice skates of his... Hmmmm What we do have on him is that our Fair beats his, and Bair does well. Furthermore, he is kind of hard to gimp with that tornado recovery... Yeah, although I play him frequently I don't know what else to say.

I am by no means the best Sheik player, but I am decent, and have extensive knowledge against a lot of characters that my friends main. If you guys have any questions, just PM. :)

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
When playing Luigi, change your Sheik style from rushing to camping. Luigi breaks out of everything, but he can't break out of camping :p. When you run away, throw a lot of charged needles. If he attacks you, shield and counter with nair quickly. If you ftilt him and he goes to high, do NOT, and I repeat, do NOT attempt to follow it up every time because Luigi players will just mash an aerial like nair to break out. Ftilt, bait the nair, then punish.

When I play Luigi, I camp with bairs and charge needles, and counter his aerials accordingly. One way he can catch up to Sheik's running away is by sliding with his tornado.... just throw a needle at him.

Squidster

Smash Ace
The NUMBER ONE BEST TOOL vs luigi that i think changes the matchup from quite difficult to sheiks favor is short hop chain.

He has NOTHING to get around cept for shooting his craptastic fireball that gives you plenty of time to retract and shield or at worse... take the 4% or whatever it is damage.

As chock says, don't rush, his Nair is too good. Don't go towards him if he's in the air, his Nair is too good. Don't go crazy with Ftilt follow ups, his Nair is too good. Don't be too agressive on edgegarding, his Nair is too good. His Nair is too good.

Camp with needles, go in for grabs, spam Bair, slow him down with the short hop chain. Needles + chain = sheik controls the match.

stealth3654

Smash Lord
If you want to make this matchup easier, switch to Zelda and up smash, up smash, up smash.

Maybe throw in another up smash while you are at it =P.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
When playing Luigi, change your Sheik style from rushing to camping. Luigi breaks out of everything, but he can't break out of camping :p. When you run away, throw a lot of charged needles. If he attacks you, shield and counter with nair quickly. If you ftilt him and he goes to high, do NOT, and I repeat, do NOT attempt to follow it up every time because Luigi players will just mash an aerial like nair to break out. Ftilt, bait the nair, then punish.

When I play Luigi, I camp with bairs and charge needles, and counter his aerials accordingly. One way he can catch up to Sheik's running away is by sliding with his tornado.... just throw a needle at him.
I think choknater summed it up pretty dang well. I main Luigi and second Sheik, so I don't really know that much about the matchup, but I know both characters well. Luigi will outprioritize you in the air all over the place, so you have to try and keep the match on the ground where your needles ****. Sheik is fast, you have to camp and wait to punish rather than just rush in, or you will lose. The man in green has a really hard time approaching, so play that to your advantage.

Also, ermm, while I'm here. How does Sheik do against D3? I have been purist in tournaments up until now. I'm thinking of using Sheik against Snakes and D3, but I'm not sure if my Sheik is up to it yet.

silver0p

Smash Journeyman
uh cheek out teh match up thread stickyed it will give you a round idea if your intrested

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I think choknater summed it up pretty dang well. I main Luigi and second Sheik, so I don't really know that much about the matchup, but I know both characters well. Luigi will outprioritize you in the air all over the place, so you have to try and keep the match on the ground where your needles ****. Sheik is fast, you have to camp and wait to punish rather than just rush in, or you will lose. The man in green has a really hard time approaching, so play that to your advantage.

Also, ermm, while I'm here. How does Sheik do against D3? I have been purist in tournaments up until now. I'm thinking of using Sheik against Snakes and D3, but I'm not sure if my Sheik is up to it yet.
She can't get chain grabbed
She can camp him
Sheik can tilt combo de3
sheik ftilt stops his bair.

Basically de3 is force to approach but sheik has a answer to all of his approach options and can deal out strong punishment when doing so. The only problem is seeing de3 live to 150% and beyond is not unheard of so learning how to use zelda is a good idea, luckily she too has a good match up with de3.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Thanks Tristan, I may just start using Sheik for this one, because the infinite ***** my Luigi too hard. I will check the matchup guide though for some more specifics.

luigi doesn't have a response to bair + has no projectiles

have fun
You sir, fail. If you honestly think Luigi has no response to Bair, you're forgetting that all of his aerials have rediculous priority, and all but his Fair will beat or tie Sheik's Bair... so have fun losing.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Sheik vs Dedede...

is actually quite difficult. Sure, it may seem like Sheik has a huge, unbeatable speed advantage against him... In a perfect world, she does. However, DDD's main strategy against most lighter, faster characters is this: Just try to play well and bait mistakes because DDD has huge damage outputs on his punish. While Sheik is trying to rack up damage, very small mistakes will lead to DDD's grabs, where Sheik will take at least 20% from some grab hits and a Bthrow.

Sheik has to know how to space and punish everything DDD has. Every move. I've been hit by fsmashes and dash attacks simply because I spaced wrong for one second. Since most Sheiks are very aggressive (Most of the time, she HAS to be) DDD may find many opportunities to punish mistakes.

However, Sheik mains, don't distress. As long as you play very well, it is VERY fun to rush a DDD from 0 to 90% from good pressure. This means guessing when he will shield so you can grab, guessing when he will attack so you can jab/tilt/needle him first, and guessing when he will camp so that you can throw charged needles.

Tips:
- ftilt or jab the waddle dees, because they will refresh your damage on stronger stuff like throws, nair, dsmash (or usmash if you're crazy)
- learn how to punish his up-B recovery. charged needles are great for damage output, DACUS if you're crazy.
- try your best not to get shield grabbed, because bthrow is DDD's greatest punishment against Sheik

Protip:
- This is one of the few matchups where a good balance of Sheik/Zelda helps GREEEATLY. Sometimes there's no point in racking DDD up to like 200% when Zelda could've killed him much earlier. Zelda won't get overwhelmed either, not like against Peach or Diddy where transforming to Zelda is incredibly scary. DDD is not fast enough to do it. So please, PLEASE mix it up with Zelda.

roooofl, i posted how to beat DDD in the luigi thread.... too good

demodemo

Smash Ace
You sir, fail. If you honestly think Luigi has no response to Bair, you're forgetting that all of his aerials have rediculous priority, and all but his Fair will beat or tie Sheik's Bair... so have fun losing.
last time i checked, the priority at the end of bair is pretty ridiculous too. anyway, i'm not going to go ahead and doubt you, seeing as you know luigi a lot better than me. I think i read that luigi has no answer to bair somewhere in an old thread here, but for whatever reason the fact got stuck in my head

Top Bottom