• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you counter meta knight?

ares04

Smash Rookie
His aerials seem to have high priority and I can't find a way of countering that tornado move of his.

What should I do?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Arrows Arrows Arrows!
As for the Tornado of his... Try Side+B.

lmnz

Smash Apprentice
against his aerial priority. just outsmart him a little. if you see aerials coming just shield it(or powershield if you can) and oos **** him. he can't spam his tornado attack so be patient and dodge/shield it then when it's over go get him

drag0nfeather

Smash Journeyman
OMGoodness, I just played my friend who mains MK today. At first, I lost around 3 rounds, then, I started playing calm and I won about 20-40 rounds. He won 2 times after that when I was sandbagging. I feel so good.

The Tornado is really tough to beat. A good MK can start heading from Tornado into Tornado if he starts to catch you in it.

I spammed the forward smash a lot. You have to space really well. What I did was, he'd often go for the down-smash to knock me up and then juggle me. I just stayed patient, rolled and spot-dodged at every appropriate moment. When he's Uair'ing you, DI to either side and spam the air dodge.

If he's below you and you know he has yet to attack you, I'd suggest pre-emptively air-dodging because he might use his B-UP attack. Watch out for the glide attack that follows the B-UP attack.

When he stayed on the ledge, I hung back and spammed arrows until he came off. I couldn't get near because I was afraid of his glide attack. Often, when he did his Tornado or Drill attack, I'd cancel it a ton of times with arrow accuracy (I LEARNED HOW TO LOOP ARROWS, AND I CAN'T STOP!). After I learned how to loop one arrow, I got carried away and would stop paying attention to beating on my opponent, prolly cause I was sandbagging, and just totally zone out and start looping arrows, lol.

I threw in some jabs to interrupt any combos he might start (Jabs are your best friend. Falco in Melee's jabs were awesome combo-interrupters or continuers). When he was rolling, I'd time a down-smash to hit him on either side of me when he was vulnerable during the roll.

To recover, I generally did a glide, dove then came at him at a horizontal for a glide attack. If you can time it right, you will almost never lose the priority-wrestle. (There would prolly not even be one.) What sucked was when I absolutely HAD to use my B-UP to reach the ledge where MK was waiting.

Two things, if he rolls at the same time you do it, you're not in a good position. Get ready to shield. Secondly, MK can nab you with a smash through the Angel Ring. A dash attack can surprise after your B-forward ends if your opponent is waiting for it to end.

You do not have to go them. (That's why I do not like DEHF's fighting style and love lmnz.) Spam the arrows (it'll stop a tornado but drills are arrow immune =$). Spot dodge, roll, walk back and forth (equivalent of wavedashing in Melee) then, when you know you can get it, punish! I hit him with my forward smash when he thought he was out of range. Walking back and forth can cause your opponent to make a feeble attempt at an aerial that will hit only air as you walk back in to punish.

Another specific thing about Pit vs MK. Often, my friend would go into a B-UP glide from the ledge. After defending with arrows, he'd go in for a glide attack. My trick to beating his was to roll toward him and he couldn't dive deep enough. I also counteracted with a forward smash but glide cancelling can match this.

I've also found that the glide attack is an AWESOME KO move! I love it SO SO SO MUCH! It can be unexpected when your opponent awaits your move. It kills people by sending them straight up and it's a nice way to finish your glide if you don't want to pull up.

Hmm, what else? He switched characters several times. Every time, I beat him because it was his metagame that I was watching. It's always, run in with an attack, I'd dodge it and punish (with a forward smash). He did pretty good with Dedede though. It was a bit easier to metagame D3 because he was so slow. My arrows could often outspam his B-forward. You can usually nail D3 with your Uair. A basic combo is down-throw to short-hopped Uair or Up-smash.

When MK down-throws, I air-dodge and jump behind him. Air-dodge to counter MK's air-game and Shuttle Loop. My friend often used a short or long A-combo and then chaining it to a down-smash. In this case, I could often either spam forward-smash as I DI'd out. (Hopefully you don't Smash DI back in.) Unless I knew that he'd probably connect with the following down-smash.

An option is to shield-grab if he comes in from the air, you don't want to dodge or think that you won't be able to get back at him with an Up-smash or Uair. Shielding your opponent's aerial, jump-cancel your shield into a short-hopped Dair. Short-hopped Dairs when the MK rushes in for an attack. You'll DI slightly left then back right to connect with the Dair while his attack hits the air beneath you. Up-smashes aren't good for neutralising an incoming MK aerial. I think he simply got hit by the first (few) strikes then settled beside me and connected with a down-smash.

When hanging on to the ledge with the opponent edgeguarding, options are: let go, multiple jumping over him or using a Fair. Get-up attack. How dare he think he can beat your get-up attack. Those things are a menace in Brawl. Let go, jump, shoot arrows.

Truly, the arrows are a menace.

DFLT

Smash Rookie
I agree with Dragonfeather. i still have a lot of problems with MK. but ultimately its comes down to spacing and attacking slightly before MK does.

MK is so annoying. the only way i could deal with his speed and range of his attacks was by using MK.

oh yeah F smash all the way! well when you get a chance to finish.

if all else fails switch your main to MK hahaha.

sigh i hate MK :(

drag0nfeather

Smash Journeyman
In response to the post above me, here's an average round of me versus my friend's MK.

Arrows. He jumps and goes for an aerial angle. I dodge but he's ready with a down-throw. I double-jump and air-dodge behind him. He goes in for a dash attack which slides past me as I spot dodge. I turn around and do a quick swipe-slash forward-smash. I test his recovery by jumping out for an aerial edgeguard and he goes a bit lower so if I am above him, he could pop off a B-UP to knock me off or away. I return to the middle of the stage as he ledge-hops to see if I will get close. I do not get close and start nagging him with arrows again.

Then, basically, it repeats the part where I dodge and time a forward smash with when he's lagging from an attack.

Special scenario: I am knocked off. He starts flying out to meet me. I have 3 options: (1) jump/glide (if I am far away enough to gain great momentum to make his timing of intercepting my attack difficult) towards him and use a glide attack or Fair, (2) jump above him and air-dodge/glide back onto the stage, or (3) glide to the ledge.

After a couple times of that, he'd often just stay near the ledge and await my approach. At which point, I'd only have the options of either go for the ledge or go for a glide attack on him. He will try to charge a smash-attack to intercept me. My job then is to gain enough momentum from having been knocked out so far off the stage that, by having great speed, his interception of my attack will be difficult and I will increase the range/hitbox of my glide attack.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I suppose Shielding the tornado is another option, but still...
Arrows! And you already know why i continuously say this.

Scio

Smash Rookie
When he stayed on the ledge, I hung back and spammed arrows until he came off. I couldn't get near because his glide attack would've ***** me. Often, when he did his Tornado or Drill attack, I'd cancel it a ton of times with arrow accuracy (I LEARNED HOW TO LOOP ARROWS, AND I CAN'T STOP!). After I learned how to loop one arrow, I got carried away and would stop paying attention to beating on my opponent, prolly cause I was sandbagging, and just totally zone out and start looping arrows, lol.
LOLOLOL I love looping arrows while I play. I have actually been able to catch someone with a forward smash and have my looped arrow hit them right after. Also I have been able to loop an arrow and hit him with a bair and the arrow at the same time. It is so fun and they get so pissed cause they never see it coming. I call it LoopSlash but thats just what I call it. (I don't care what anyone else calls it or whoever thinks what should be called what.) Also looping arrows when they are behind cover to hit them from the other side. Thats fun too.

Top Bottom