• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do wavedash: A simple tutorial for the struggling students of Wavedash

Was this tutorial heplful to you?

• Eehh..I knew the basics, but this sorta helps.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
This is more of a tutorial for the people who don't already know how to do this tech, but it's always good to sharpen your skill before a big event or even a local or dorm tournament for Project M. I'm not sure how well this applies to Melee, though, so this may be a P:M-specific tutorial.

This is all you will need:

• 1 copy of Brawl
  • An installation of Project M (through either the Homebrew or Modless installs, either should work)
  • A controller that is easy to hold and allows you to reach most of the buttons easily (a Gamecube controller or the Classic Controler, for examples)
  • Spare time to dedicate into the task.
And that's it! Now, with those out of the way, let's get the guide started.

Step #0.5: Boot up Project M.
This is self-explanatory; to start, you have to boot the mod via whatever method you chose. I boot my copy through the HBC launcher, but the tutorial works for either version of the mod.

Step #1: Go into Training mode OR Do a 1-Man Infinite Time Match.This is fairly simple; just enter the Training mode from the Solo menu. Once there, pick the character you want to learn the tech with (in the case of this tutorial, we'll be using :luigi2:) and another character to "fight", or if you just want to be alone, you can always just go into a solo Infinite Time match; however, it's far easier to learn in Training mode, so that's the option I'll go with.

Step #2: Choose a good stage to practice on.
Optimally, you will want to have a hazardless, flat stage to practice upon so that you don't get interrupted. Stages like Final Destination, Battlefield and Training Room are the types of stages best suited for practice, though you can use stages like Yoshi's Story if you want. Pick larger stages so that you have more estate to work with.

Step #3: Put the speed down to it's lowest point (1/4).
This is easy enough, since it's only two spaces back from the default speed (1x). Putting it at quarter-speed will make it infinitely easier to time button inputs than other speeds, which is crucial for consistent wavedashing. This is not going to be short, so it's a good idea to practice often.

Step #4: Start practicing!
Now that you have everything together, it's time to actually begin practicing the wavedash. The reason we chose Luigi is because his slippery traction makes it easy to wavedash with him, but any character will work. But onto the specifics;

First off, we'll need to know just how quickly we'll need to input the following commands;
:GCU:/:GCX: - Jump
:GCLT:/:GCRT: - Shield/Airdodge
:GCD: - Fastfall

At normal speeds, the timeframe to input a wavedash is about a second; but since we're going at 1/4 the speed of a normal match, this means the timeframe is 4 times longer; around 4 seconds. If your Luigi airdodges before hitting the ground, you're going too slowly. If he airdodges before he even leaves the ground or does a normal dodge, you're going too fast. Keep practicing regularly to increase consistency and ultimately improve your approach game.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q+A:

Q: I'm trying to wavedash, but I keep airdodging!
A: This is because you are trying to input the commands too quickly, and are causing the game to call for an airdodge and not a wavedash. Try slowing yourself down and really get the hang of wavedashing before trying to use it consistently.

Q: I keep hitting the ground before I can even airdodge, and I'm using :bowser2:/:dedede:/:ganondorf:/:charizard:/:dk2:!
A: The timing for heavy characters is even stricter than the timing for lighter ones, so this is probably just a case of you needing to adjust to the timing for them. Try using characters like :luigi2:,:jigglypuff: or :kirby2: first, since it is easier to accomplish with them due to less strict timing. Once you can do it with them somewhat often, try the heavier characters.

Q: But I main :bowser2:/:dedede:/:ganondorf:/:charizard:/:dk2:, not :luigi2:/:jigglypuff:/:kirby2:!
A: Even so, it's good to practice with lighter/slipperyer characters so you can grasp the mechanics; nobody gets anywhere in work by just going headlong into the difficult parts. Ease yourself into wavedashing like it's...some sort of hot tub?

Okay, that was a bad analogy. :p

Anyways, just keep using this tutorial and you'll eventually master wavedashing! It'll be a long trial, but it'll be worth it in the end.

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

Step #4: Start practicing!
Now that you have everything together, it's time to actually begin practicing the wavedash. The reason we chose Luigi is because his slippery traction makes it easy to wavedash with him,
This is entirely false.
It makes it easier to see you've done one. it has nothing to do with the ease of performing one.

People should be practicing with their main.

Weight has nothing to do with timing either.
Samus is heavy and is in the group of lowest squatframes.

Last edited:

Agi

Smash Lord
The fastfall input is not necessary, nor does it affect anything. You might want to include a list of jumpsquat lengths.

...also, about a second?

Narpas_sword

Starting with a lighter character would be best, like explained above.
No. weight has nothing to do with it.
I mean, kodos on the guy for the effort of writing up a guide, but it's full of incorrect information.

The time frame isn't a second, it's the time your character has in jump-squats.
For Samus this is 3 frames.
Which is about 50ms. (0.05 Seconds)

As mentioned, fastfall has nothing to do with it.

Q: I'm trying to wavedash, but I keep airdodging!
A: This is because you are trying to input the commands too quickly, and are causing the game to call for an airdodge and not a wavedash. Try slowing yourself down and really get the hang of wavedashing before trying to use it consistently.
This part doesn't even make sense.
1. if you're air-dodging instead of wavedashing you're not too fast, you're too slow.
You're pressing Airdodge after you've left the ground.

Recommended method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_eZoX8nAdg

apart from that you don't need to shorthop. You just need to press dodge before you leave the ground

Last edited:

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
Many friends of mine had problems performing WD, but I find it quite easy. I explain them something pretty easy to understand:

:GCY: and inmediately after :GCDL::GCLT: or :GCDR::GCLT:, assuming pressing L while controll stick is aiming anywhere else would make you fail.

In the other hand, there's no actual difference between characters in the ease/difficuly of performing WD. There's no difference if you have a lighter/heavier character, nor if this character has a wider/shorter range. I mean, it doesn't matter if you use Jigglypuff or Bowser, nor if you use Luigi or Peach. Timing and performance is the same in all of them.

But I can understand some characters, such as Luigi, have a way more visual response to a WD, so you could notice if you performed it easier. But that's all, you shouldn't have problems with anyone if you do this: :GCY:+(:GCDL::GCLT:).

CuteDogIRL

Smash Rookie
Many friends of mine had problems performing WD, but I find it quite easy. I explain them something pretty easy to understand:

:GCY: and inmediately after :GCDL::GCLT: or :GCDR::GCLT:, assuming pressing L while controll stick is aiming anywhere else would make you fail.

In the other hand, there's no actual difference between characters in the ease/difficuly of performing WD. There's no difference if you have a lighter/heavier character, nor if this character has a wider/shorter range. I mean, it doesn't matter if you use Jigglypuff or Bowser, nor if you use Luigi or Peach. Timing and performance is the same in all of them.

But I can understand some characters, such as Luigi, have a way more visual response to a WD, so you could notice if you performed it easier. But that's all, you shouldn't have problems with anyone if you do this: :GCY:+(:GCDL::GCLT:).
The timing is different just compare Bowsers wavedash with Meta Knights. It depends on the jump squad time/jump start-up speed (check out the stats list that is pinned in the general discussion for pm to see what those are). For me (and probably most) if a jump starts quickly it's easier to do than if it starts slowly.

As for the weight thing generally heavy characters have a slower start-up than light ones. So wavedashing is harder to do with many of them because it's not just jumping and instantly dodging but you have to wait for a bit. The timing isn't stricter the timeframe to input an airdodge is just as long it's just harder to do because you can't do it instantly.

As Narpas pointed out there is a lot of misinformation here so I hope this guide gets changed or removed.

Edit: Even the inputs are wrong how did you manage to mess those up? I didn't even see those the first time because I assumed they would be good.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

everyone should learn on fox and bowser so the survivors can pick the meat off of the dead that didnt make it

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
The timing is different just compare Bowsers wavedash with Meta Knights. It depends on the jump squad time/jump start-up speed (check out the stats list that is pinned in the general discussion for pm to see what those are). For me (and probably most) if a jump starts quickly it's easier to do than if it starts slowly.

As for the weight thing generally heavy characters have a slower start-up than light ones. So wavedashing is harder to do with many of them because it's not just jumping and instantly dodging but you have to wait for a bit. The timing isn't stricter the timeframe to input an airdodge is just as long it's just harder to do because you can't do it instantly.

As Narpas pointed out there is a lot of misinformation here so I hope you change or remove this guide.
Yeah, you're right, I didn't explain myself. Thanks for that point!

Top Bottom