• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Do u Know When your a good Zamus user???

Purenchisu

Smash Cadet
ive been playing with zamus since the game came out, ive even put i WII key in my WII so i was able 2 play the imported verson of brawl before it came out in the U.S ... I think i know almost every thing their is 2 knw about her but 4 all u guys out their who main her i have a question 4 you,how do you know if your a good Zamus user ??? i pretty much mastered her short hop , know all her pros and cons,what moves you should nd shouldnt do in a match and when 2 camp.. etc .... ima be adding some vids pretty soon so you guys can let me knw what u think about my zamus and how im doing and what i shouldnt be doing in matches... please help me out..

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
Well are you getting your *** beat constantly in battles?
Are you fighting tough opponents and winning?

Purenchisu

Smash Cadet
i rarely loose i fight tought oppents and some times i do a 3vs1 just 2 see how gud i am my goal is t0 be the best zamus player in florida...

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
No offense but your spelling kinda gets to me...can you make it more legible? we aren't on a chat program heh.

-Zangetsu-

BRoomer
BRoomer
When you can fight opponents and win consistently, That is until the game evolves or until you get beat again. (then you will need to get better. )

If you're serious about this you should try to post a video so we can give you more specific advice.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
What Ryoko said...

Honestly, you shouldn't have to ask. It should be something that you've had said to you, not requested from people. Also, proof is in the pudding (Cliches go go go go) - Winning in and of itself shows how good you are.

k4polo

Smash Journeyman
Very true. You have to answer it yourself. I usually gauge how well I do versus good opponents. If you give your opponent problems then you can say you are progressing.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
ive been playing with zamus since the game came out, ive even put i WII key in my WII so i was able 2 play the imported verson of brawl before it came out in the U.S ... I think i know almost every thing their is 2 knw about her but 4 all u guys out their who main her i have a question 4 you,how do you know if your a good Zamus user ??? i pretty much mastered her short hop , know all her pros and cons,what moves you should nd shouldnt do in a match and when 2 camp.. etc .... ima be adding some vids pretty soon so you guys can let me knw what u think about my zamus and how im doing and what i shouldnt be doing in matches... please help me out..
Go to a tournament, if you win ...that's a good start.

..after that find a COMPETITIVE tournament with local smashers from SmashBaords or AllisBrawl

...If you win those, you're good. Otherwise, keep practicing.

*repeat above steps until Azen and Ken start calling you for re-matches*

Ørion

Smash Ace
DarkShadowRage said:
No offense but your spelling kinda gets to me...can you make it more legible? we aren't on a chat program heh.
Good point, please use real words when time is not important, especially when you write something that long.

On to your post, Its hard right now to say when you are "good". Brawl just came out, so we don't really have a frame of reference to work with. If you can get some videos up, we can look at those and see what we think.

Garde

Smash Ace
I have to agree with Ryoko.

If you have to ask if you're good, you're probably not. Uncertainty means that you have doubts about your playstyle. Also, if you can't tell what you're doing wrong in your own matches or what is giving you trouble, that is a big indicator as well. The reason why is because good players can analyze matches and learn from them, as well as adapt in the middle of a match given a moment's notice. In order to really know if you're good or not, go to a big tournament (that is respected by SWF) and see how well you place. If you place in the top 1/4, you're pretty good.

As for me, I think I am above average for Zamus players. Where above average, I have no idea. There are very few Zamus players I would actually consider good at this point (good meaning placing well in big tournaments). I think I have a pretty efficient play style for the most part, but I lack experience against a lot of the cast (at least by skilled players). When I do run into a skilled player of a character I haven't played against, I find the matches to be very educational and I can often scrape wins out, or least make matches very close. I'm still learning new things frequently (if not daily, every few days) and incorporating them into my play style, or different situations where moves are useful (or powerful).

BANSHI

Smash Cadet
i have the best zss on gamefaqs/gamespot, and i've beaten some of the " top" people there

so i guess i can say im good

we should host a zss tourney, that would be fun and we could explore her meta-game better

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
i have the best zss on gamefaqs/gamespot, and i've beaten some of the " top" people there

so i guess i can say im good

we should host a zss tourney, that would be fun and we could explore her meta-game better

I seriously doubt you are the best ZSS user on GameFAQs, because I Am a ZSS user and I am also a Vetern Brawl Boards user. Also, most of the people on gamefaqs suck balls.

There is no "TOP" players in Brawl on gamefaqs, beating idiots spammers is one thing, but seriously I doubt you are the best ZSS User in Gamefaqs, as you cannot have possibly Brawled Every single person that roams the Brawl Boards.

BANSHI

Smash Cadet
Im the current champion of zss on gamefaqs if there is anyone better then how come they have'nt bothered to challenge the champ?
and yeah alot of people on GF's suck, but there are alot of people who are INSANE
gf's/gs is a really active and popular forum so thats to be expected, but there are topics that are made specifically for pro's to play each other, so there are " top" players

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
You are probably Champion of a Tournament that as held but not of ZSS herself, you just won a tournament that's nice and all. But yeah, there isnt any "Pros" in brawl either yet my friend =/

BANSHI

Smash Cadet
haha, no
not to boast, but its not from a tourney, there are ru's and there is one champ for one character, which is me

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
haha, no
not to boast, but its not from a tourney, there are ru's and there is one champ for one character, which is me

I'm sure that title will get overthrown soon champ :p

Garde

Smash Ace
BANSHI, there are three MAJOR faults to your claim.

1) You have no video proof of how good you are, so you sound like an egotistical jerk.

2) You're playing over WFC, which doesn't even come close to gauging skill as well as playing against opponents in real life, especially due to the lag.

3) Ditto matches do not mean much, at all. A lot of stupid things can be abused in ditto matches that are not possible against other characters. Just because you have beaten other Zamus players does not mean you're the best Zamus, it just means you can play well against other Zamus players. Beating lots of players (in REAL matches, NOT WFC) in tournaments is how you gain respect and renown, not coming here and boasting.

On top of that, this is smashboards, not GFAQs. Your title there has no holding here, and wagging it around is almost completely irrelevant. It's like bragging about how you were champ at the 400m at your Elementary school to a bunch of professional sprinters. It's insulting, really.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
BANSHI, there are three MAJOR faults to your claim.

1) You have no video proof of how good you are, so you sound like an egotistical jerk.

2) You're playing over WFC, which doesn't even come close to gauging skill as well as playing against opponents in real life, especially due to the lag.

3) Ditto matches do not mean much, at all. A lot of stupid things can be abused in ditto matches that are not possible against other characters. Just because you have beaten other Zamus players does not mean you're the best Zamus, it just means you can play well against other Zamus players. Beating lots of players (in REAL matches, NOT WFC) in tournaments is how you gain respect and renown, not coming here and boasting.

On top of that, this is smashboards, not GFAQs. Your title there has no holding here, and wagging it around is almost completely irrelevant. It's like bragging about how you were champ at the 400m at your Elementary school to a bunch of professional sprinters. It's insulting, really.
To BANSHI, PWNT

BANSHI

Smash Cadet
@ garde
whoa, its not that serious

i never said i was the "BEST" zss ever, read my post above more carefully, i simply said i am the champ on gf's and i've beaten/played alot of really good players (and not just other zss's) so i "GUESS" that makes me good, and then i suggested a friendly tourney
i was never trying to boast at all, you along with some others just took what i said the wrong way, we should all work together, more than trying to prove who's the best

theres no reason to get so offensive, calm down

Garde

Smash Ace
It's pretty clear from your posts that you have an ego from playing WFC matches. Your later post where you said something along the lines of "not to boast, but I'm the best Zamus on GFAQs." but regardless of saying "not to boast," you blatantly were.

Honestly, I haven't been anything but calm from the time I started typing up that first post. I didn't use a single foul word or call you names, and my post was well organized. I did not attack you, I pointed out flaws in your claim and gave a comparison so you might be able to understand the insult in your posts towards the rest of the community here. There are many people that come here claiming stuff because they're a big fish in a small pond. I've seen it happen for years. Maybe you're actually good, maybe you'll prove me wrong. I have yet to see it from any of the people that have been members for only a few months and seemingly no tournament experience, so I remain skeptical.

Most good players don't go strutting around saying "I'm the best X player in Y area/community." The community will know who good players are. We pay attention to tournament results and we watch videos, and we make the decision for ourselves. A lot of new people get an ego because they win a bunch of times against people who they think are good and feel they have to announce to the world that they're good. If you want the community to know you're good, prove it by videos or tournament results, NOT by making a post about how you beat some nameless people that you claim are good on WFC. Vids and/or tournament results or it didn't happen.

Good players are people like Mew2King and Azen Zagenite, etc... They go to national tournaments and place top 5 consistently.

The only "good" Zamus player caught on video, to my knowledge, is Claw. Claw's videos aren't that impressive, but they're months old so he's probably improved (even in the old videos it's clear he's definitely a skilled player, but he didn't do anything amazing). Johnny Blitz proved himself by doing well in several tournaments, but he doesn't play Zamus anymore. AlphaGundam did really well in a 70+ man tournament, but I haven't seen him play (though he is probably quite good). None of these Zamus players are on the same level as the guys mentioned in the paragraph above, but they're some of the best Zamus players around.

Now have you see any of these guys posting around here saying "I'm the best ____ player in Nevada/California/the US/etc."? No. We know they're good because we can see it with our own two eyes. They know they're good, and we confirm it with compliments and directing new people to learn from the good players' matches. Making claims like you did gets yourself flamed (although you're fortunate that no one has yet), and the community as a whole don't appreciate posts like that.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
BANSHI, I might never have visited gamefaq's boards, and I might be new here, but once I buy my router and get my wii online, I'd like to have a friendly match with you! How about it... Zamus vs. Zamus? If it's true and you are the reigning champ, then I could learn a thing or two from you... :D

BANSHI

Smash Cadet
Garde, look very carefully at the name of this topic

what does it say?

Its not like i randomly came and said i was the best for nothing, i was simply posting why i think i am a good zss, so i was not boasting

and you may think your calm, but its not looking that way, you seem sensitive to what i said.
Instead of trying to get so serious and bash me with these unnecessary long posts, you could of just did something like what kewkky did

yes kewkky, i will play you whenever you want

edit: and i do have some very nice videos of my zss that i managed to save as replays garde, but i just have a simple camera right now, so it would be bad quality
and i do have alot of experience, but even if i didnt, i've seen people who are new to this game beat "pros" from melee

prinnykurtis

Smash Rookie
Once people begin to recognize you then you know your good. Go win a a lot of tourneys and you will win the respect of other players. The better you are the more groupies you'll have.

Garde

Smash Ace
BANSHI, you're right about one thing. Your post was slightly on topic. The thread isn't "are you a good player," but rather "how do you know when you are a good player." My post before yours explained what I do as a player and why I think I'm of the skill level I'm at. You said you're a champ because you beat a bunch of people in online battle and use vague words in quotes like "top" players. If you're going to go on about this though, fine, you weren't boasting and I misinterpreted your intentions.

However, I'm telling you what's wrong about your logic in determining that you are a good Zamus player. You might very well be a good Zamus player, but playing on WFC is not a good way to find out or prove it. Go to tournaments and place well, record matches and post them online for us to see. Don't tell us that you're good. I'm not bashing you. All I'm doing is telling you that there are flaws in your own logic and making you aware of them and how you're appearing to the community because of them.

I was here for a few years back when I played Melee, and I saw AT LEAST a hundred (this is an understatement) people come through the community claiming they were good. Trust me, I'm being far nicer to you than the welcome that most of those people received. Many of them would argue for a while without having any video proof or tournament results to back them up, and they would often say things that proved how inexperienced they were. Most of them left the community before they went to a tournament because they would constantly claim they were good, the others showed up to tournaments and were proven wrong. To me, and probably the majority of veterans around here, you are no different.

Also, you haven't given any names of "pro" melee players that have lost to people that are new. You still haven't given any names of people from GFAQs that you've beaten either. I'm pretty sure our standards are very different for considering what's good and what's not.

"Pro" players are people that go to big tournaments and place well and receive monetary rewards frequently. Very few people in the US could be considered "Pro" players in Melee, probably around 50 in the entire US (at any given time). Yes, it's true that there might be some kid that comes out of nowhere and blows everyone away like Ken did in Melee, but he's a very unique case as it hasn't happened since. Most new people don't have a grasp for how fighting games work or how mind games work, and without that you can't beat the real "Pro" players because they live off of mind games and their execution, timing, and spacing are so amazing that you'd almost think they're perfect if they didn't make mistakes every now and again in videos and tournaments. I haven't seen newbies take down any of the pros, and haven't heard about such a thing happening. I'm almost positive you're either making stuff up, or your standards are much lower for what a "Pro" actually is. Please, give names.

prinnykurtis summed up how you'll know when you're a good player rather nicely.

One final thing. If you think I'm typing up long posts because I'm sensitive on this subject, you couldn't be farther from the truth. If you actually read a bunch of other threads, I am often quite thorough in my analysis of moves, ATs, matchups, reasons for counter matches, etc. I type up long posts because I care about being thorough, not because I am upset.

onii-chan

Smash Ace
BANSHI, you're right about one thing. Your post was slightly on topic. The thread isn't "are you a good player," but rather "how do you know when you are a good player." My post before yours explained what I do as a player and why I think I'm of the skill level I'm at. You said you're a champ because you beat a bunch of people in online battle and use vague words in quotes like "top" players. If you're going to go on about this though, fine, you weren't boasting and I misinterpreted your intentions.

However, I'm telling you what's wrong about your logic in determining that you are a good Zamus player. You might very well be a good Zamus player, but playing on WFC is not a good way to find out or prove it. Go to tournaments and place well, record matches and post them online for us to see. Don't tell us that you're good. I'm not bashing you. All I'm doing is telling you that there are flaws in your own logic and making you aware of them and how you're appearing to the community because of them.

I was here for a few years back when I played Melee, and I saw AT LEAST a hundred (this is an understatement) people come through the community claiming they were good. Trust me, I'm being far nicer to you than the welcome that most of those people received. Many of them would argue for a while without having any video proof or tournament results to back them up, and they would often say things that proved how inexperienced they were. Most of them left the community before they went to a tournament because they would constantly claim they were good, the others showed up to tournaments and were proven wrong. To me, and probably the majority of veterans around here, you are no different.

Also, you haven't given any names of "pro" melee players that have lost to people that are new. You still haven't given any names of people from GFAQs that you've beaten either. I'm pretty sure our standards are very different for considering what's good and what's not.

"Pro" players are people that go to big tournaments and place well and receive monetary rewards frequently. Very few people in the US could be considered "Pro" players in Melee, probably around 50 in the entire US (at any given time). Yes, it's true that there might be some kid that comes out of nowhere and blows everyone away like Ken did in Melee, but he's a very unique case as it hasn't happened since. Most new people don't have a grasp for how fighting games work or how mind games work, and without that you can't beat the real "Pro" players because they live off of mind games and their execution, timing, and spacing are so amazing that you'd almost think they're perfect if they didn't make mistakes every now and again in videos and tournaments. I haven't seen newbies take down any of the pros, and haven't heard about such a thing happening. I'm almost positive you're either making stuff up, or your standards are much lower for what a "Pro" actually is. Please, give names.

prinnykurtis summed up how you'll know when you're a good player rather nicely.

One final thing. If you think I'm typing up long posts because I'm sensitive on this subject, you couldn't be farther from the truth. If you actually read a bunch of other threads, I am often quite thorough in my analysis of moves, ATs, matchups, reasons for counter matches, etc. I type up long posts because I care about being thorough, not because I am upset.
to explain futher on the idea that a "pro" melee player would get beating in brawl to banshi or whatever his name is...

first of all banshi if this so called "pro" player was beating in brawl there are so many reasons why this happened but i am going to only show 2 points:

1. melee and brawl are two totally different games in many ways...melee techs and stuff will never work in brawl only mindgames and spacing so far have made the transition

2.many melee players find brawl to be a horrible game as do i...i only find it fun and only picked up the game a couple of times

also the people that were good at melee where not good at brawl and vise versa...like for example in houston i here of this too people name mr.3000 and t-rex who where rumored to be not that good in melee but are awesome in brawl...they have been the getting top position in the latest tourneys and stuff

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Up 'til now, I've won only one tourney of 2 I've been in, and I won the respect of at least 30 people there... And in the EVO tourney I went to (and lost), I played some friendlies with random guys and they agreed that I was a pretty decent player. I won some, and I lost some, but I made a couple of friends, and they remembered my name! :D

Hoping that it's the first step to total Brawl recognition in PR... Maybe I'll even be able to match up to HDL (PR's top) and win 50/50! I bet I'll be famous by then! ::dreams on::

I have the cell phone numbers of a few people from the tourney I won too, and we're gonna smash it out on this weekend... Hope they've improved! :)

BANSHI

Smash Cadet
Garde, how do you know i havent been to any tourneys? your talking like you know already or something, to be specific i have been to 4 official brawl tourneys so far (not wifi) that were at anime cons, and game stores and except for 1 tourney i came in first place. (this isnt the only game i play either im a competitive player in general)

and melee is a very unbalanced game compared to brawl, instead of 3-4 characters being used i see the entire roster being used now, and considering the person doesnt suck i dont even see any 1-sided fights, and i've seen alot of match-ups, so dont get suprised when you see new people beat "pro" players from melee
and you said you want names, i've played against some people who are said to be the top in georgia, and i beat them or it was a really close battle, i cant remember there weird names
i've also played alot of insane people wifi (cant remember them all i've had too many wifi battles)

but either way enough of all this talk, I like action, and your starting to repeat yourself, its boring

Crimsonjassic

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2466-2049-1304
Garde, I think you're tryin' way too hard to explain yourself to this Banshi dude. You can usually tell, depending on how people post, whether or not it's worth the effort to make a thorough, intelligent post. And replying to this dude is definitely not worth the effort. :p

On a related note, when I brawl online I win some, I lose some, and I still get pwnt bad sometimes. I destroy my friends irl really badly, but that's not sayin' much 'cause they're casuals. :3 I feel like I'm a phenomenally average player, maybe slightly above average. Overall, I feel like I still give people a pretty good fight though.

Makes me sad that I'll never win big tourneys, but it's ok 'cause I still love playin' the game. :)

Wait a sec... isn't that what Sakurai wanted??

onii-chan

Smash Ace
Garde, I think you're tryin' way too hard to explain yourself to this Banshi dude. You can usually tell, depending on how people post, whether or not it's worth the effort to make a thorough, intelligent post. And replying to this dude is definitely not worth the effort. :p

On a related note, when I brawl online I win some, I lose some, and I still get pwnt bad sometimes. I destroy my friends irl really badly, but that's not sayin' much 'cause they're casuals. :3 I feel like I'm a phenomenally average player, maybe slightly above average. Overall, I feel like I still give people a pretty good fight though.

Makes me sad that I'll never win big tourneys, but it's ok 'cause I still love playin' the game. :)

Wait a sec... isn't that what Sakurai wanted??
yup exactly what he wanted...he made it to be fun not competive like melee thats the way i see it...and yeah i have alot fun when i play

BANSHI

Smash Cadet
@ crimson
thats excatly what i'm saying, theres no reason to get so sensitive over somebody's opinion, getting serious over a subjective matter is really silly
its like somebody saying thier the prettiest in the world, and then another person goes out of thier way to try and prove thier not

it doesnt matter who is the best with a certain character, we should be sharing and learning from each other anyway

Garde

Smash Ace
I'm going to stop trying. BANSHI's right. I'm trying to prove something that's entirely subjective. Even though there is a common agreement among the large portion of the community about what's "good" and what's not, it is a subjective quality and trying to tell him what's good and what isn't doesn't change his own opinion on the matter, regardless of what the community thinks.

As for the tournaments, congrats on winning a few nameless tournaments (just like everything else seems to be nameless), though they were not part of any posts earlier.

Top Bottom