• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do the characters feel on Wii U vs 3DS

jmjb

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anhJer
I've never played the 3DS, but how much of the gameplay, and micro gameplay differ between the two? is it a 1:1 port, or are there subtle differences?
wondering who the top tier characters are here, don't know if basing it off 3DS opinions will be accurate or not

Lord Danongore

Smash Cadet
Maybe I'm still in a diabetic daze by how sweet it looks in HD, but the game does NOT feel like a 1:1 port. I played with several characters online and they feel different. People die faster, some characters that seemed slower on the 3DS (Charizard) seem faster and more responsive on the Wii U.

I played with the Gamecube Controller for about 4 hours...stupid work. I want to be playing now...

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
It feels right on the WiiU. Movement is alot more fluent for me, as I don't have to worry about waning the control pad, like on the 3ds. For the most part, feels like Brawl, except no tripping. :colorful:

Joulevard

Smash Rookie
I'd say that that the control is way better on the Wii U, and it's faster than Brawl.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Well, I find it easier and smoother on the Wii U version than on the 3DS version (I'm still gonna play that one) and it is, in fact, faster than Brawl. I'm just about getting used to the GameCube controller though.

Last edited:

vypex

Smash Cadet
Controls are taking some time to get used too speed seems faster on wiiu harder for me to land certain attacks that were easy to land on 3ds, 3ds seemed more competitive in for glory for me but larger base of players that have been playing awhile now should ramp up shortly

Patrick Ray

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheAmericaMan
3DS FC
5129-2776-3291
It seems way better than the 3ds. Faster for sure and games seems to end quicker. My only thing is connecting combos with captain falcon seems.much harder in this version opposed to the 3ds and my alternate Donkey Kong just feels 10x better.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
In reality the physics is 1:1 port, so it is essentially is the same game. But the controller does make a big difference.

Honestly, I'm too used to the 3DS. Playing with the Wii U Pro feels sluggish and unresponsive to me. I might get used to it eventually, and maybe a GCN controller would feel better, but right now it's definitely not a great transition. I seem to be in the minority, though, since most people are loving the console controllers.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I can now control characters the way I want to. I can tilt constantly without smashing by accident.

The biggest surprise was seeing how the 3DS messed with my smash reflexes. I basiclly had to relearn how to play Smash 4. But I am getting more and more comfortable with the controls now.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
It seems way better than the 3ds. Faster for sure and games seems to end quicker. My only thing is connecting combos with captain falcon seems.much harder in this version opposed to the 3ds and my alternate Donkey Kong just feels 10x better.
It doesn't seem faster to me. I had a Falcon + ZSS For Glory go into sudden death and we were not stalling at all.

Maybe I'm still in a diabetic daze by how sweet it looks in HD
This made me laugh.

Last edited by a moderator:

vypex

Smash Cadet
been so preoccupied with online i have only beaten solo mode once lol

jmjb

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anhJer
so do you guys feel the character analysis for the characters from 3ds sill stands?

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
Way better. I seem to be doing a lot better on the Wii U version. It could just be the controls though.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
I think many people are mistaking the speed and smoothness with animation. On Wii U they are to their fullest where-as on 3ds it just doesn't look as good. I don't know the exact numbers, but let's say Peach's running animation on Wii U has 300 frames, on 3ds it's like 150. Sure there might be some minor changes in the overall engine, but it's the animation that makes it fluid.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think many people are mistaking the speed and smoothness with animation. On Wii U they are to their fullest where-as on 3ds it just doesn't look as good. I don't know the exact numbers, but let's say Peach's running animation on Wii U has 300 frames, on 3ds it's like 150. Sure there might be some minor changes in the overall engine, but it's the animation that makes it fluid.
Player characters have the same amount of frames of animation on both versions. On 3DS, Pokéball Pokémon and Assist Trophies are only at 30FPS, but the players are at 60FPS. On Wii U, everyone is at 60FPS.

Characters are animated BETTER on Wii U, but not in terms of number of frames. If the number of frames were different, then this wouldn't be a 1:1 port of the fighters from 3DS.

The better animation just comes in the form of cosmetic things, like facial expressions, which are a lot better on Wii U, and dress/hair physics for characters like Peach and Rosalina.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
I'm convinced blast zones are generally somewhat closer, but I could be wrong.

I seem to recall hearing that Olimar's pikmin function much less terribly than in the 3DS version, making him a significantly less frustrating character to play as.

My main thing is that I don't have to worry about lag and an awkward circle pad while I'm playing (at least not local, haven't tried online), so I can use my end-laggy main without undue fear of mis-input.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I can pretty much say that the CPUs seem to function differently than in Smash 3DS. I was able to unlock everyone in one shot with Smash 3DS, but in Smash Wii U, I actually lost to Mr. Game & Watch in his challenger match.

Khao

Smash Lord
It really feels the same to me.

Sure the controls are more comfortable, but there's absolutely no different from a gameplay perspective, you can do the same stuff you did in the 3DS version in the exact same way.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
It really feels the same to me.

Sure the controls are more comfortable, but there's absolutely no different from a gameplay perspective, you can do the same stuff you did in the 3DS version in the exact same way.
Maybe YOU can. I've found out that I suck with the 3DS control setup by comparison.

Last edited:

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
It feels different for sure, but I think that has to do with the fact with the controllers we're using on Wii U. For example I can dash dance on Wii U with a GC controller, but I can't do that at all on the 3ds version with the circle pad.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Player characters have the same amount of frames of animation on both versions. On 3DS, Pokéball Pokémon and Assist Trophies are only at 30FPS, but the players are at 60FPS. On Wii U, everyone is at 60FPS.

Characters are animated BETTER on Wii U, but not in terms of number of frames. If the number of frames were different, then this wouldn't be a 1:1 port of the fighters from 3DS.

The better animation just comes in the form of cosmetic things, like facial expressions, which are a lot better on Wii U, and dress/hair physics for characters like Peach and Rosalina.
Yeah you're right. What am I talking about?

Top Bottom