• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I transition from Project M to Melee?

Powerless_Enemy

Smash Rookie
I am recently very new to the community and have been playing Project M since version 2.1, I had played Melee in the past as a kid with my cousins but never owned and/or had a passion for the game until recently when I became addicted to watching Melee on YouTube. Realizing that brawl was not the game for me, I went to Project M since all the cool tech skills I've seen in Melee were being emulated by Project M, but now that I actually own Melee now, my problem has been translating my tech skill and play style from Project M to Melee.

How would I be able to do that?

And what bad habits that would be normal or left unnoticed in Project M, but not in Melee should I try to get rid of?

oats_

Smash Apprentice
In Project M, it's alot harder to kill people... It seems that stages in general are bigger than in melee, and there are certain things such as being able to grab the ledge alot later compared to melee... I've dropped so many edgehogs because I roll too late in PM, when in melee I know for sure it would have worked.

Melee is also a bit faster it seems, fall speeds seem faster (it seems to me like in PM, more and more characters are at that gross weight that makes it harder to combo them compared to melee, where more characters that are top tier have faster fall speeds). In PM, its easier to do alot of tech skill, due to what I feel is a bigger window (not quite sure if this is true). When going to melee, you need to be a bit more precise compared to PM.

For bad habits... Something I've never understood is people who turn off tap jump in PM... how do you even up smash out of shield? X and c-up sounds gross to do, but I guess it works. The general thing you need to realise is that punishing is stronger in melee, so you need to play alot safer, and really focus on your spacing. Not many characters have super safe, spammable things so you can't do things like throw out moves and expect to not be punished to death like you would in PM.

SpiderJerusalem

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NewBabel
3DS FC
4124-5499-0990
I kinda had the same situation, I think my biggest translation issue was L-Cancelling because it was easier to do in PM due to the bigger window and the flash that notifies that you did the l-cancel correctly. Other than some of the physics, it's not that much different, or at least by what I've felt.

Don't take my word for it though lol

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Best advice I can give you is to stop playing PM entirely until you're comfortable in melee. It would help if you told us what characters you play. Most people have minimal trouble switching back and forth because it is generally easier to perform tech skill in PM since the frame windows seem to be more lenient.

Also, I noticed your location is El Paso. Please join the EP smash group on facebook if you haven't already :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/673233716043745/

Last edited:

SAUS

Smash Ace
Pick a main in melee that you won't use in PM.

Easiest way to transfer is to not use the same characters between games.
Good advice. I think it is okay if you play melee falco/fox and then use them in PM, but going the other way around would be really hard. I main Link in melee, and even though I've heard really good things about him in PM, I don't play him in PM because I don't want to mess up my melee Link.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Good advice. I think it is okay if you play melee falco/fox and then use them in PM, but going the other way around would be really hard. I main Link in melee, and even though I've heard really good things about him in PM, I don't play him in PM because I don't want to mess up my melee Link.
I've seen a lot of people avoid playing their melee main because it's easier to notice the small changes when playing. I can play Fox in PM, but dislike him somewhat just because he feels different so I end up playing Falco most of the time.

Top Bottom