• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I take down a shine happy fox w/ Dr. Mario?

Cuno56

Smash Apprentice
Other people might need a video...I don't, of course, because I see you play every so often, but, anyway.

1) Up-B cancel out of shield. ******** as hell, but it gets shield pressure off of you, which is nice.
2) DI the drillshines. If you're getting drilled, DI behind him, once you get shined, DI away from him, and you'll be fine.
3) CC the shines into WD dsmashes. (or get rid of the WD, I can't recall off hand how far Doc goes when he CC's a shine)
4) Chainthrow his ***. Seriously. It works.
5) ...I had something good here, but I forgot it. Anyways. That stuff should help.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
Other people might need a video...I don't, of course, because I see you play every so often, but, anyway.

1) Up-B cancel out of shield. ******** as hell, but it gets shield pressure off of you, which is nice.
2) DI the drillshines. If you're getting drilled, DI behind him, once you get shined, DI away from him, and you'll be fine.
3) CC the shines into WD dsmashes. (or get rid of the WD, I can't recall off hand how far Doc goes when he CC's a shine)
4) Chainthrow his ***. Seriously. It works.
5) ...I had something good here, but I forgot it. Anyways. That stuff should help.
5 = cape the recovery. :p

St. Viers

Smash Champion
...I'd say:
1. Don't Shield-grab!!! unless they miss an L-cancel. All it will do is let them shine you.
2. Try to light-shield the drill if able...it will push you further away, and maybe mess up their "flow"
3. Angle your shield up a bit, again to mess up their timing coming down.

4. Don't let him get you with the d-air. Easier said than done though ;)

I always thought that if you crouch cancel they can just start wave-shining you faster than you recover :/ ---@Cuno56

*Also, pills to interrupt his jumps.
*N-air, and full-jumped d-airs work if he's a SHFFL freak (as d-air is a very safe move for doc to use)

Cuno56

Smash Apprentice
Meh, CCing is mostly to screw with his WD distance. Usually if I get caught in a drillshine, the fox will drill -> shine -> WD normal distance -> drill -> shine (which i'll CC) -> WD normal distance (past me) -> get nailed by my dsmash or w/e.

But, yeah, if they read your CC, you're s-crew'd. Mindgames them, I guess ... >.>;

Coming out of shield with an up-air (assuming they're pressuring your shield and full hop or something >.>; aka this doesn't work if they SH) starts a nice reverse combo on them.

the CRAB

Smash Cadet
1: be bob$.
2: pray.
3: wait till they get REALLY into it and slip off your shoe so as to unplug their controller with your foot.

i reccomend 3. being bob$ and the power of christ have only helped me like twice.

Cuno56

Smash Apprentice
Punching them works beautifully, as well. Also, setting them as a level 1 cpu right before the match starts works too.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I don't know, St. Viers. I thought that was pretty funny. My favorite method is the tire iron ;).

Anywho, I have a question along the same lines. My friend always Dairs, shines, wavedash, grabs, uptrhows me. It never fails. I try to jab him, grab him, uptilt, just about anything before he gets to with the grab. Am I doing something? I guess I'll try CCing and not CCing and Up B... that's like the only move I haven't tried.

pockyD

Smash Legend
you can smash DI the dair such that you end up behind them and the shine sends you the wrong way

if they react quickly they can still waveshine the opposite direction and maybe get a jc grab (i actually don't know the frame data) but it does mix things up more (and also some people have trouble doing perfect waveshines backwards)

the CRAB

Smash Cadet
in all seriousness, i have a friend that's a fox main and i try to anticipate his drillshine and WD back when he closes in from the air punish with a fsmash or go for a chainthrow/throw combo if he messes up hsi L-cancel (which almost NEVER happens).

Megachuk

Smash Ace
Work on spacing for one. Thow lots of pills, so he has to come from above if he wants to shine. If he misses, MAKE SURE YOU PUNISH HIM. He'll think twice next time about going shine crazy.

And you can't sidestep a crab

Top Bottom