• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I stop myself from getting shieldgrabbed, Up B Out of Shield'd, shieldpwnt etc

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I've been having this problem lately and I've lost plenty of matches because of it. I need to know how to stop getting shield punished by my opponent. I'm not talking about my shield, but me attacking my opponent and they proceed to pwn me out of shield. Mostly shieldgrabbing. One good example is when I lost to a Bowser who pwnt me with fortress out of shield whenever I attacked him.

Most of the time I approach with a SHFFL'd dair or fair. They usually shieldgrab and pwn from there...I've never really had this problem before, I'm not sure what going on. Maybe I've been practicing Samus too much >_>

What should I do to avoid this? :crying:

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
you should space yourself so when you hit them with your F-air they are out of Grab range. If they shield watch them and see what they do from there. Then react!

j00t

Smash Champion
you should space yourself so when you hit them with your F-air they are out of Grab range. If they shield watch them and see what they do from there. Then react!
You can actually DI backwards if you f-air and you know your opponent is going to shield, or if you just miss your f-air. Combined with proper spacing, this should be enough to put you out of grab range. Except Link's and Samus', and maybe Marth's grabs (Lawlz, why would you GnW vs. Marth anyways?). Because Link and Samus are dummyheads.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I like G&W vs Marth...

But yeah, I think my problem is that my spacing isn't as good. (I had stopped playing G&W for a while so I guess that makes sense. Samus is just sooo good, I couldn't help it!) I can't believe I forgot about hitting people with the tip of the fair (not the bulk of the move like I've been doing), I used to give people that advice lol. I don't know when's the next time I'll play anyone with people starting school and stuff, but I'll work on all these things that everyone mentioned. Keep the advice coming, this shield problem is keeping me from winning at all.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
lawl go ahead and sig it.

G&W vs Marth = disjointed range ditto, it's fun. I can't think of a character I dislike playing against with G&W...

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
lawl go ahead and sig it.

G&W vs Marth = disjointed range ditto, it's fun. I can't think of a character I dislike playing against with G&W...
But Marth has more disjointed range, a better approach, smoother combos and less masculinity. :(

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Just think of it as beauty and the beast, except this time it's beauty vs the beast. G&W's the beast of course :chuckle:

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Maybe? G&W can kill her at 90% but he'll probably get overpowered by her vegetables or her stupid dash attack (Man that attack gets annoying). Either way I really don't like Peach.
How about the fact that her crouch cancel is better than yours? You try to dtilt her, and she'll just dress dance you for 65%..

ju4ndieg0

Smash Rookie
Try Fshuffling and n the exact moment ( i mean when you L cancel) try wavedashing back

timbu

Smash Apprentice
I just said Fshuffling out loud and thought I learned German or something.

You can get shield grabbed if you key -> downtilt? I don't think Bowser's grab animation is that quick but I could be wrong.

Spacing the forward air and backwards DI parachuting works well with characters who like to shield grab and approach with grabs or dash-dancing.

Taalcon

Smash Journeyman
Zelda's downsmash hotbox comes out in 4 frames. Fastest smash in the game, and I think it comes out as fast as the shine.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Both shines come out on the first frame and hit for only that frame.
Bowser's fortress comes out on the 5th frame but is invincible for the first 4 (only applies to ground fortress).
Zelda's dsmash is the fastest smash at 4 frames to come out, though many come out in 5, 6, or 7 as well.

Lag

Smash Journeyman
Hm, looks like I'm in 56k's shoes too. Everything you just said happens to me too. And yes Peach is so...ugh. Last night I lost like a bunch of matchups against Peach. Now 56k mentions something I never used against a Peach, which is the Back Air. Meh, I'll take..err use his word for it. Haha. Is there anything else effective against a Peach besides Back Air?

Top Bottom