• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I punish the roll with ZSS?

Muffin!

Smash Apprentice
ZSS is fine against campers. Any soft read means a dSpecial kick in their face. And no I'm not kidding. One grab at 35 to 45 is a guaranteed combo setup which kills if you're not directly in the middle of the stage. My average FG match takes 1:30 for a reason.
Depends on the matchup and skill level I think. Dspecial works fine if you can read a projectile and get the punish, like on Megaman and Link, but with other characters it's just too easy to shield. On FG it just about always works, but that's FG.

David Viran

Smash Lord
Depends on the matchup and skill level I think. Dspecial works fine if you can read a projectile and get the punish, like on Megaman and Link, but with other characters it's just too easy to shield. On FG it just about always works, but that's FG.
That works on almost all characters who can camp with projectiles including sheiks needles.

Muffin!

Smash Apprentice
That works on almost all characters who can camp with projectiles including sheiks needles.
Anything works on all characters if your opponent is ****ty enough. Charged projectiles like needles are particularly susceptible though. Other projectiles with a long cooldown like the boomerang or pikachu you can also hit with a decent read though. But faster projectiles like mario's fireball or lasers? You either need a hard read or your opponent has to suck/screw up. In all cases though, flip kick is not difficult to avoid. Put it this way, how often do you see Nairo or Choko kill with it? Not very often. The vast majority of their kills come from aerials and up special because flip kick is just too punishable and too readable.

I'm not saying it's a bad move, but against decent defensive players it's primary utility is in recovery and defense, and it's offensive use is situational at best.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Anything works on all characters if your opponent is ****ty enough. Charged projectiles like needles are particularly susceptible though. Other projectiles with a long cooldown like the boomerang or pikachu you can also hit with a decent read though. But faster projectiles like mario's fireball or lasers? You either need a hard read or your opponent has to suck/screw up. In all cases though, flip kick is not difficult to avoid. Put it this way, how often do you see Nairo or Choko kill with it? Not very often. The vast majority of their kills come from aerials and up special because flip kick is just too punishable and too readable.

I'm not saying it's a bad move, but against decent defensive players it's primary utility is in recovery and defense, and it's offensive use is situational at best.
The mere existence of dSpecial kick punishes limits the opponents options.
A good player doesn't do it because he knows he gets punished. That still limits him.

Top Bottom