• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I not get grabbed

Y-L

Smash Champion
I play as falco and I constantly find myself getting shield grabbed on approaching and grabbed otherwise. How do I counter a player who spams grab?

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Shine after attacking their shield. A move can be up to -5 on block and be side stepped, and up to -6 on block to shine them before their grab comes out.

Also git gud and play around your opponent's defense with fakes and empty hop grabs.

The_Enlightenment_

Banned via Warnings
Thats it? Thats all you have to saw to this kind soul who beleived he could place his trust in you all? As a community? As a family? He had to wait a good 5 minutes before anyone responded, and what does the poor diligent young man get in turn? A typical pm scrub with gross double standards about character choice telling someone to simply "git gud". That helps no one and youre only hurting your shaky pm community with half assed responses like these. I hope strong bad spits on your grave, you worm.

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
Thats it? Thats all you have to saw to this kind soul who beleived he could place his trust in you all? As a community? As a family? He had to wait a good 5 minutes before anyone responded, and what does the poor diligent young man get in turn? A typical pm scrub with gross double standards about character choice telling someone to simply "git gud". That helps no one and youre only hurting your shaky pm community with half ***** responses like these. I hope strong bad spits on your grave, you worm.
best new member 2k14

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
You know, I'll give him some credit. He was pretty subtle when he started in the Tier List thread.

But he doesn't seem to have any stamina. Now it's just painfully obvious.

These modern new-school trolls have no discipline...

- - -

To actually contribute to the thread: like Kink said, L-cancel your landing and try to shine as soon as possible, and also work on your spacing. Try to position it so that you still hit with your attack, but when you land, you're too far away to get grabbed by the opponent.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
When you get shield grabbed you know your not shooting enough lasers :)

But really though, if you know the grab is coming mix it up, dd in front of him and if he reaches out you can punish. Or just shoot lasers, then he has to go to you. And if he is anticipating you charging in on him then just grab him out of shield.
Most importantly L-cancel shine, it beats out grab

But in actuality the best option would be to...

Switch to Fox...

BILL?

Smash Apprentice
Falco can do a lot of shield pressure with SHFFL'd Dair into shine. Shine will punish a reflexive shield grab, and it will not lose the momentum of the shield pressure
be sure to L-cancel every aerial, and perform a shine cancel on the shine.
A missed L-cancel against a decent player should usually result in a shield grab during the landing lag of the aerial.

the empty SH (tomahawk) on falco is pretty good, can lead to you grabbing them out of shield when they expect another aerial.

Wait, don't tell me your friend is a Marth main.
He's a Marth main isn't he? :facepalm:
Well now you're f***ed. Marth's grab range defies human comprehension with its disjointedness. Silly Marth...

(I kid. But really, do more shine at the end of pillar strings, and also keep in mind that you have projectiles and can make them approach.)

Y-L

Smash Champion
I guess I'm just not too good at the shine timings yet. I either do them a little too late and get grabbed anyways, or I'm just out of the shine range when I land after my attack.

BILL?

Smash Apprentice
Not to sidetrack the thread, but one of my training partners and I went Gigabowser for a round today with some players who hadn't played Project M before. They were actually terrified. We laughed.

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
Get it to where just your foot hits the tip of their shield. They'll never be able to grab you again. When they try it's a free punish.

TeddyRoseKidd

Smash Cadet
I play as falco and I constantly find myself getting shield grabbed on approaching and grabbed otherwise. How do I counter a player who spams grab?
One good technique to fighting someone like this is falco's short hop laser. It is a good way to add pressure to your opponent and will sometimes force him in towards you, another way for me when I fight my cousin(he does that all the time) i short hop to falco's dair, l cancel, and shine immediately, works everytime and also sets you up for some major combo's. Another way I stop him is to run up in his face and wave dash back(he always goes for the grab) and then grab him, setting me up for more combos.
Im an ok fighter, im not a pro, but i just started training a month(ive been playing smash since 99 but never took it competitively until I started watching pros and ive gotten much better in this past month, my cousin and I used to go back and forth, now its a slaughter house)

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Establish boundaries within your circle of friends, and even acquaintances. Be sure to make it clear that you don't like being grabbed and that it makes you uncomfortable. If it still doesn't stop, seek a police officer. Don't let them push you around.

NightShadow6

Smash Journeyman
If you want just keep lasering an make them approach you.

You don't have to approach!

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
Can you explain what it means when you say "A move can be up to -5 on block and be side stepped, and up to -6 on block," KinkLink?

NightShadow6

Smash Journeyman
Pretty sure hes mentioning frame advantages. If someone has -5 that means you'll have those 5 frames to do something.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
-5 is significant by any fighting game's standards, BTW; for instance, in Mahvel(3, not 2) you get seamlessly punished for less, lol.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
I'm shocked no one mentioned this, but just space your aerials so you are out of their grab range. That either means using aerials that land you distinctly on his back side, or using falco's aerials that have superior range (nair) and hitting him with the tip of your foot. Usually, if you are trying to stop getting shield grabbed, MOST likely it is because you are dash attacking a lot, or turning to approaches that suffer badly against shield grabbing.

Anyways, learning to shine is important but honest to god, learning to space is even more important (especially if you ever play a non-spacie). I have a friend who never shines (i know it sounds weird), but he just has immaculate spacing and he avoids getting grabbed.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Delay your aerials when you think your gonna hit a shield. The later you hit their shield the less time they have to shieldgrab you. You should never be grabbed out of late nair/dair/bair -> shine. If the shine ends up hitting their shield: shine-grab, jumpcancel into fade away aerial, wavedash back, more shines, other Falco stuff.

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
Pretty sure hes mentioning frame advantages. If someone has -5 that means you'll have those 5 frames to do something.
I know he means frame advantages, but I'd like that term explained in more detail. From what I can tell, hitting someone's shield with a move that gives -5 on block means that they have 5 frames of hitlag, or whatever it's called.

Guilu

Smash Apprentice
I know he means frame advantages, but I'd like that term explained in more detail. From what I can tell, hitting someone's shield with a move that gives -5 on block means that they have 5 frames of hitlag, or whatever it's called.
Having frame advantage usually means you will return to a neutral state (standing on the ground, not recovering from any moves from or against you, etc) before your opponent, and essentially be able to act sooner. In Smash, I think a 5 frame advantage can actually lead to some guaranteed punishes depending on your character. Rather tight though. The series also makes it more complicated with the ability to grab and jump out of shield, even during blockstun, L-cancelling, jumping attacks being done at various heights resulting in variable landing time, etc etc etc.

AsymptoteG

Smash Rookie
Depending on your skill level/ play style, the fancier techniques work well, but if you aren't quite at that level I find it works well to short hop just over them and attack from behind. They can't grab what isn't in front of them.

Top Bottom