• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I Link?

Shoopman

Smash Journeyman
After bouncing around for months between several characters, I finally decided to settle down as a Link main. I've put some time into Link in Melee and 64, but obviously this is his best iteration by far.

My question is this: How much of a camp game do I need to play? Previous Links have been plagued by slow and very laggy moves, so reliance on projectiles was pretty large. I feel like PM Link has the ability to directly challenge a lot of characters now, so I'm unsure if projectile spam is still as vital as it was previously. Obviously Link is not the most mobile of characters, but he got a range upgrade and his moves have been sped up a great deal and it makes a huge difference.

My style of Link play isn't really projectile heavy to begin with, I kind of just throw them out for annoyance. My main goal is usually to bait out unsafe moves and punish with Link's big moves (up B, dair, Fsmash).

Any input here? How can I step up my game?

Tristan's Rule

The Link of SoCal
Slippi.gg
RULE#492
You have to change it up in some M/U's as to where you stay at a distance and try to play a more projectile based game, or a very aggro combo and pressure applying Link (jabs, d-smashes, juggles, grabs, etc).

You can also do a hybrid where you may need to throw projectiles while staying away, but you also feel comfortable going in hard, and following up from projectiles. Against most M/U's I tend to stray more towards this hybrid styled type of game. This isn't link but I have a video where I pull this hybrid style off pretty well with my Toon Link (this was 3.0 but you can still see the kind of passive-aggression in action), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZwpff0-WfU, god... **** that match haha, I really could have made a strong upset by winning that set, ANYWAYS the only time I was getting punished was when I was either going in too aggressively or ****ing up a follow up, so make sure you go in after you really know it's cool.

I don't really know what else to say if you have other questions just ask them in the thread and i'll try to use my knowledge to help! :)

Edit :Speeling and grammar the?!

Last edited:
Top Bottom